3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

High School State Champs over UNR!

if you consider that the promised land, which most of you up North do.

Except we fired the coach who blasted you in November :shrug:. Sanchez is 1-1 vs us. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I don't even think it's the last stand. As long as there is an MWC to play in with meaningful regional games, I don't see us dropping football.

I don't think the BOR or UNLV administration and basketball donors and fans will tolerate throwing money at football for long if it doesn't improve. I could see UNLV dropping football and joining another conference for basketball. Basically putting all the chips on basketball and other successful sports- baseball, softball, golf...

• Like 1

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

Which is my point. Rebel Football can't compete with Raider Football.

The nature of the population is exactly one of UNLV's biggest problems. Too few college alumni, too little value for education...

Pricing will be the key.  Raider tickets will be bought up by SoCal fans and Oakland fans will come around.

if UNLV prices games right they should be able to survive with games against:

USC

UCLA

Arizona

Arizona State

Utah

Colorado

Cal

Stanford

Oregon

Washington

BYU (Non Conference)

UNR (Non Conference)

Hawaii (Non Conference)

PAC-12 Championship

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

This will be interesting to see in my opinion. SDSU NFL leaves town. UNLV NFL team comes to town. In 5 years who is the better football team? Did the NFL hurt or help?

Apples and Oranges. If both programs were at the same level now, you'd have a valid comparison. One is arguably the best in the conference and the other arguably the worst.

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

I don't think the BOR or UNLV administration and basketball donors and fans will tolerate throwing money at football for long if it doesn't improve. I could see UNLV dropping football and joining another conference for basketball. Basically putting all the chips on basketball and other successful sports- baseball, softball, golf...

They always have. Why would they stop now?

Aren't we the ones using history as our proof? UNLV has always funded football (poorly, but still funded).

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And yet, UNLV football has survived this long...

Hey, it was competitive in the 80's and has seen flashes under three different coaches since then. Kicking just enough...

Even comatose humans can take decades to flatline...

I will say this- I could be wrong. UNLV and the Raiders may end up defying the odds and coexisting successfully with each other. Sanchez could turn the program around in time for its new stadium debut. It all could happen. But, as a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it with my money (just slap my azz and call me Mark Davis...)...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Apples and Oranges. If both programs were at the same level now, you'd have a valid comparison. One is arguably the best in the conference and the other arguably the worst.

They always have. Why would they stop now?

Aren't we the ones using history as our proof? UNLV has always funded football (poorly, but still funded).

Because futility could be magnified- we couldn't win at SBS, now we can't win in the billion dollar gift to Mark Davis. Time to pull the plug...

9 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Which is my point. Rebel Football can't compete with Raider Football.

The nature of the population is exactly one of UNLV's biggest problems. Too few college alumni, too little value for education...

My point is that Raider fb and UNLV fb will not compete for the same buyers. Not at first anyway.

9 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Pricing will be the key.  Raider tickets will be bought up by SoCal fans and Oakland fans will come around.

USC

UCLA

Arizona

Arizona State

Utah

Colorado

Cal

Stanford

Oregon

Washington

BYU (Non Conference)

UNR (Non Conference)

Hawaii (Non Conference)

PAC-12 Championship

You have about the same shot at the PAC-12 as you do at the upcoming Earth-Lunar Athletic Conference.

Stop with the inhalants, if it's not too late...

Just now, toonkee said:

My point is that Raider fb and UNLV fb will not compete for the same buyers. Not at first anyway.

Sure they will, and right away. I guarantee a family attending 3-5 UNLV games a year will dial it back to afford 1-3 Raiders games. Now, if they decide, after attending the NFL games that it isn't worth it, then some will likely return to Rebels games. People will always hurry to try the next new thing...

16 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

USC

UCLA

Arizona

Arizona State

Utah

Colorado

Cal

Stanford

Oregon

Washington

BYU (Non Conference)

UNR (Non Conference)

Hawaii (Non Conference)

PAC-12 Championship

That's an awful lot of non conference games every season. And you guys are going to rent out your stadium to the PAC-12 for their title game.  That's awfully presumptuous of you assuming you'll never host the MWC title game. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Sure they will, and right away. I guarantee a family attending 3-5 UNLV games a year will dial it back to afford 1-3 Raiders games. Now, if they decide, after attending the NFL games that it isn't worth it, then some will likely return to Rebels games. People will always hurry to try the next new thing...

I could see that happening, but I could also see a few more people heading out to a Rebel game to hang out at the new stadium for a few less bucks.

Just now, toonkee said:

I could see that happening, but I could also see a few more people heading out to a Rebel game to hang out at the new stadium for a few less bucks.

At first, sure. But if it's the same old Rebels they won't be back...

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Hey, it was competitive in the 80's and has seen flashes under three different coaches since then. Kicking just enough...

Even comatose humans can take decades to flatline...

I will say this- I could be wrong. UNLV and the Raiders may end up defying the odds and coexisting successfully with each other. Sanchez could turn the program around in time for its new stadium debut. It all could happen. But, as a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it with my money (just slap my azz and call me Mark Davis...)...

I wouldn't bet on UNLV being successful either. I just don't think it spells doom for them if they are not.

12 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Because futility could be magnified- we couldn't win at SBS, now we can't win in the billion dollar gift to Mark Davis. Time to pull the plug...

Could be. Or they could just do as they always did... we just need a new coach...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, toonkee said:

"survived"

Which is much different from ending football.

I just don't think UNLV is philosophically there. I don't know that they will be as long as their "peer" institutions still have football. The destruction of the MWC might be the only thing that could cause the school to pull the plug. That's the only thing I'd be worried about.

• Like 1