1 hour ago, Poster17 said:

The thing with the public financing is the $750M is paid by room tax, not a tax on locals.  This is great for the city.  The Raiders and Vegas are a match made in heaven.  Tons of Raider fans in Vegas and SoCal.  This will be a shot in arm for UNLV football as well, but that will only sustain if they win and/or somehow make it into the PAC-12 if and when expansion occurs.  If UNLV football can't put a winning product on the field or there is no move to the PAC-12 during the next expansion, then UNLV football will be dead.  Can't wait for the first game in the new stadium.  This is a day as a lifelong Las Vegan that I never thought I'd see.  And it ain't the Jaguars or Titans, its one of the most iconic franchises in NFL history.  Unreal. 

That's great that it's not a tax on locals, but when your school district is rock bottom in the nation, how can you justify that "non-locals" tax going to a private enterprise perfectly capable of doing it on their own? It's corporate welfare at its finest... 

• Like 1

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

folks told us that when the Grizz moved to town. The Grizz have been a consistent partner to UofM athletics and playing at FEF has worked out well for us...I know USF and the Bucs seem to get along as well. 

Footballs to basketballs. Not a good comparison...

5 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

That's great that it's not a tax on locals, but when your school district is rock bottom in the nation, how can you justify that "non-locals" tax going to a private enterprise perfectly capable of doing it on their own? It's corporate welfare at its finest... 

CCSD is like our government. They wouldn't know what to do with the money even if they had unlimited amounts. Plus there are a ton of reasons why the school district fails.

Vegas is different. The room tax works here. This stadium will bring in many more events and open even more doors.

We don't have a state tax for a reason. For Vegas...that $750 million visitor tax revenue is an investment. This brings more visitors. More brands. They all bring money. They spend that money. I enjoy the tax break.

• Like 1

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Footballs to basketballs. Not a good comparison...

again, so USF doesn't play in a NFL stadium? the point is pro teams and college teams can actually work together over being adversaries 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

USF plays at an NFL stadium, thus why I mentioned them...but OK...

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

But...Vegas is a transient town, more so than Memphis or Tampa.  I don't think a NBA team would effect UNLV mbb as much as some would think. But UNLV football is different. 

http://www.thedailystampede.com/2016/10/9/13217086/usf-football-attendance-is-in-crisis

"The official attendance of 16,585 from the TSA is the worst in USF’s 20-year Homecoming history. Which would be understandable if this was 1998 or 2013 or 2014. But the product on the field is legitimately compelling and entertaining, and yet so many couldn’t be bothered."

Pretty alarming article including players calling out fans on Twitter...

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

http://www.thedailystampede.com/2016/10/9/13217086/usf-football-attendance-is-in-crisis

"The official attendance of 16,585 from the TSA is the worst in USF’s 20-year Homecoming history. Which would be understandable if this was 1998 or 2013 or 2014. But the product on the field is legitimately compelling and entertaining, and yet so many couldn’t be bothered."

Pretty alarming article including players calling out fans on Twitter...

again, I think we're coming from different places....I'm saying pro teams and college teams can actually get along...now, it'll be up to UNLV to win...that's what actually brings fans to the stadium.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, Byutop25 said:

Tony Sanchez was just on espn 1100 Las Vegas and he said the facilities will be a game changer for recruiting.  

Sanchez has a party line to toe if he wants to keep his job. Honesty in Rebel Athletics can be a job killer...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

I'm not disputing this, but is it known that's why they didn't want it to pass? Couldn't they have just not wanted to use tax money to fund a stadium? I didn't follow much so I truly don't know.

I'm pretty sure that was it. 

Also, I recently sat in on a committee meeting regarding the Hillside Cemetery issue here in Reno. I was stunned at how genuinely stupid some of our elected officials are.  Others are just detached and appear to be doing nothing but collecting a paycheck. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

CSU is in the Denver market.  Colorado already has that market.  Also, Fort Collins has absolutely brand compared to Las Vegas.

Neither CU nor CSEwe "has that market" (I know, shocking despite the sheer volume of CSEwe gear in Denver...) The Broncos completely dominate that market for football of any kind....

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm pretty sure that was it. 

Also, I recently sat in on a committee meeting regarding the Hillside Cemetery issue here in Reno. I was stunned at how genuinely stupid some of our elected officials are.  Others are just detached and appear to be doing nothing but collecting a paycheck. 

OT: But did they end up passing the bill regarding the cemetery? Honestly that cemetery is in such bad sense it makes sense to condense it and use the money to properly maintain it. The land along University Terrace would be very valuable for student housing.

1 hour ago, Greedy Reb said:

This is an interesting element on if the Raiders will just be embraced by LV or all of NV. Though the Broncos are named with Denver they really belong to the whole state. Will be interesting to see if the hate people have up north for LV will keep them from seeing this as Nevada's team. 

There may be too many NFL loyalties in LV already for the Raiders to be successful as being even Las Vegas' team. Might be different if it was an expansion team,  but there's going to more local anti-fans than just about any other NFL city.

1 hour ago, k5james said:

No, the only difference is that the stadium will be state of the art.  Everything else will be the same.  The stadium wasn't stopping people from scheduling home and homes with UNLV.

With all due respect, I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Maybe playing in an NFL stadium holds SDSU back, but UNLV would love to have that problem.  UNLV is several notches below that right now and has been forever.  If this stadium allows UNLV to possibly have SDSU type success on the football it would be considered an unqualified success. 

Is this the best possible dream scenario outcome for UNLV?  Probably not, but we can't let perfect be the enemy of the very good. 

In any case, it's Pac-12 or bust.  I do not believe UNLV football will survive in the MW, successful seasons or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

There may be too many NFL loyalties in LV already for the Raiders to be successful as being even Las Vegas' team. Might be different if it was an expansion team,  but there's going to more local anti-fans than just about any other NFL city.

Vegas isn't the only NFL city with transplants.

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

UNLV Football needs a stadium like this and a practice facility they're about to break ground on.

Without those we're forever a dud and probably dropping football in 10 years. Now we have life and a possibility for bigger things in 10 years.

You are probably closer to dropping football now, than you were before. Look at the history of NFL/ CFB markets. It's not a good one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poster17 said:

The thing with the public financing is the $750M is paid by room tax, not a tax on locals.  This is great for the city.  The Raiders and Vegas are a match made in heaven.  Tons of Raider fans in Vegas and SoCal.  This will be a shot in arm for UNLV football as well, but that will only sustain if they win and/or somehow make it into the PAC-12 if and when expansion occurs.  If UNLV football can't put a winning product on the field or there is no move to the PAC-12 during the next expansion, then UNLV football will be dead.  Can't wait for the first game in the new stadium.  This is a day as a lifelong Las Vegan that I never thought I'd see.  And it ain't the Jaguars or Titans, its one of the most iconic franchises in NFL history.  Unreal. 

Yes.