Just now, k5james said:

This isn't something UNLV fans should be celebrating.

Ask @ph90702 this all but guarantees them access to the PAC-12 :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

32 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV has punched their ticket to the PAC-12.

Can we just enjoy this, as a community, without bringing this lunacy into it? This is one of the biggest days in Las Vegas history!

I've lived in Vegas for 40 years. When we moved here, I lived on the west side of town and the world ended at Rainbow Blvd. If you went to Henderson, it was considered an all day venture. 

I never, ever, ever, thought I'd see this day. The NFL wouldn't air commercials for Las Vegas during their games for forever. We were the "forbidden city" where on the field officials could not enter (they seriously had a policy on this). We had to advertise all Superbowl promotions using "The Big Game" or the NFL would sue us.

Now we are a member of the club.

It's completely mind-boggling how fast this happened.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Can we just enjoy this, as a community, without bringing this lunacy into it? This is one of the biggest days in Las Vegas history!

I've lived in Vegas for 40 years. When we moved here, I lived on the west side of town and the world ended at Rainbow Blvd. If you went to Henderson, it was considered an all day venture. 

I never, ever, ever, thought I'd see this day. The NFL wouldn't air commercials for Las Vegas during their games for forever. We were the "forbidden city" where on the field officials could not enter (they seriously had a policy on this). We had to advertise all Superbowl promotions using "The Big Game" or the NFL would sue us.

Now we are a member of the club.

It's completely mind-boggling how fast this happened.

Like I said in the OP, this is great for the city of Las Vegas and the State of Nevada overall.  I don't think it's a good thing for UNLV football but that's a different issue.  Congrats to the residents of Las Vegas, the Raiders being a part of the city is going to be a lot of fun!

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, k5james said:

folks told us that when the Grizz moved to town. The Grizz have been a consistent partner to UofM athletics and playing at FEF has worked out well for us...I know USF and the Bucs seem to get along as well. 

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

I agree that the Raiders move to Las Vegas is good for Nevada.  My impression is that the Silver state is ready to embrace the Silver and Black.   I would guess they'll do training camp in Vegas until they move there and then training camp will move to Reno.  

I'm curious about whether proximity to an NFL team benefits the nearby Mountain West team.  SDSU played in an NFL stadium but it was a lease and not ownership so the possibility of a school owned stadium is probably a better situation for them.  Media attention is nice but being the top football team in a big market hasn't necessarily monetized much for many current MW members.

UNLV needs to figure out what tangible benefits they get for the program.  Unless the Raiders upgrade UNLVs current stadium because they can't stay in Oakland I don't think this makes the football team better off.

Arguably San Jose State can benefit by having more fans attend games. Raider fans have decided they are not Niner fans - everyone willing to switch did so in the 80s.   East bay football fans will be able to catch the BART line to games which I think will dramatically improve people's willingness to attend games because they don't have to deal with downtown traffic.  I could see a big football fan season ticket holder for the Raiders getting season tickets for the Spartans if they are an alum and attending more games while flying to vegas for one or two games a year.

Just now, UofMTigers said:

folks told us that when the Grizz moved to town. The Grizz have been a consistent partner to UofM athletics and playing at FEF has worked out well for us...I know USF and the Bucs seem to get along as well. 

Good for you.  We're talking NFL not NBA.

Just now, UofMTigers said:

But...Vegas is a transient town, more so than Memphis or Tampa.  I don't think a NBA team would effect UNLV mbb as much as some would think. But UNLV football is different. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, k5james said:

Pros and cons like anything in life but this is a lot different than than the San Diego situation. The rebels will be playing in a state of the art stadium close to the campus. Getting home and homes with p5 programs will be a lot easier for them than other programs in the mountain west. 

On on a side note the Denver broncos are a very popular team here. When the raiders play the broncos the broncos fans will take over the stadium. Lots of Denver fans in the salt lake area are excited about this. I have a feeling this won't be a big home field advantage and visiting fans will be here in large numbers.

• Like 2

Just now, Byutop25 said:

Pros and cons like anything in life but this is a lot different than than the San Diego situation. The rebels will be playing in a state of the art stadium close to the campus. Getting home and homes with p5 programs will be a lot easier for them than other programs in the mountain west. 

No, the only difference is that the stadium will be state of the art.  Everything else will be the same.  The stadium wasn't stopping people from scheduling home and homes with UNLV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

But...Vegas is a transient town, more so than Memphis or Tampa.  I don't think a NBA team would effect UNLV mbb as much as some would think. But UNLV football is different. 

On the bright side, you can't kill a dead program twice.... nowhere to go but up...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, k5james said:

No, the only difference is that the stadium will be state of the art.  Everything else will be the same.  The stadium wasn't stopping people from scheduling home and homes with UNLV.

You know more about the dynamic than I do with your experience but the Sam boyde stadium in ghetto east Vegas is such a dumpster fire on many levels anything is an upgrade. This stadium will be close to having an on campus stadium. I also think scheduling big name programs will be improved but time will tell. 

29 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Look I'm not saying it's not impossible that unlv could be a serious expansion candidate but ask CSU how a shiny new stadium worked out for them when they're in a much larger TV market and have had a lot more football success.  

CSU is in the Denver market.  Colorado already has that market.  Also, Fort Collins has absolutely brand compared to Las Vegas.