I think this will be a good thing for the city and State in general.  UNLV will get a new football home which is great.  I'm still against public financing of stadiums and have been from the start.  But I think it's a win for the State of Nevada today!

• Like 5

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest RoscoesDad
9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think this will be a good thing for the city and State in general.  UNLV will get a new football home which is great.  I'm still against public financing of stadiums and have been from the start.  But I think it's a win for the State of Nevada today!

I am OK with public financing for a stadium that will be the new home of the local public university.  If it was $750MM just for the Raiders, I probably wouldn't be as happy about it.  But this is a HUGE deal for UNLV.

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV has punched their ticket to the PAC-12.

:lol: 

• Like 14

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

building FedExForum, which got us the Grizzlies, was one of the best things to happen to Memphis...(totally financed with city bonds)

it was the most expensive building project in Memphis history at 250 million...but if you tried to rebuild it today, it would cost over 325 million.

fedexforum-26.jpeg

• Like 2

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

They better follow through with the training camp in Reno.

They might do it up here  until the new place is built.

And many NFL teams have ditched the month-long Summer camp.

They just hold summer practice next to their stadiums.

I am happy for Las Vegas and I hope they start moving dirt soon!

Amazing that all those big Bay Area companies didn't step up to keep them there (Larry Ellison?).

cerified_Subarus.jpg

14 minutes ago, mugtang said:

We've had this discussion before but that sounds way to generalized in thinking. LV is built on providing world-class entertainment options. It is not like other cities. They still have to execute but we can't pretend the plan is just like a regular city building a stadium for 8 home games. LV - if any city in the US - has the potential to fill that stadium up regularly and make a good profit. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

We've had this discussion before but that sounds way to generalized in thinking. LV is built on providing world-class entertainment options. It is not like other cities. They still have to execute but we can't pretend the plan is just like a regular city building a stadium for 8 home games. LV - if any city in the US - has the potential to fill that stadium up regularly and make a good profit. 

How so?  I mean I understand Vegas isn't like other cities but I was against the public funding from the start.  But, if anybody can make it work it's Vegas.  Hopefully your leaders don't screw it up. 

The thing with the public financing is the $750M is paid by room tax, not a tax on locals.  This is great for the city.  The Raiders and Vegas are a match made in heaven.  Tons of Raider fans in Vegas and SoCal.  This will be a shot in arm for UNLV football as well, but that will only sustain if they win and/or somehow make it into the PAC-12 if and when expansion occurs.  If UNLV football can't put a winning product on the field or there is no move to the PAC-12 during the next expansion, then UNLV football will be dead.  Can't wait for the first game in the new stadium.  This is a day as a lifelong Las Vegan that I never thought I'd see.  And it ain't the Jaguars or Titans, its one of the most iconic franchises in NFL history.  Unreal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

My ABSOLUTE favorite thing about responses like this from Mugtang, is that it is EXACTLY how he replied when we said LV was getting a world-class stadium and an NFL team...and yet here we are. 

I said the Raiders were moving to Las Vegas two years ago....please find where I laughed at it. 

I have maintained that this isn't necessarily a good thing for UNLV football and I still believe that. 

In fact, here's a text convo I just had with my brother about the move. He's a die hard raiders fan too. 

IMG_9290.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

They might do it up here  until the new place is built.

And many NFL teams have ditched the month-long Summer camp.

They just hold summer practice next to their stadiums.

I am happy for Las Vegas and I hope they start moving dirt soon!

Amazing that all those big Bay Area companies didn't step up to keep them there (Larry Ellison?).

Then what's in it for the north? How did they get the north votes? I thought that was a condition of approval by the state. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

How so?  I mean I understand Vegas isn't like other cities but I was against the public funding from the start.  But, if anybody can make it work it's Vegas.  Hopefully your leaders don't screw it up. 

Well in a place like LV where world class entertainment is the economic life blood, you can't think of a stadium like it is in other cities where it only hosts the NFL team. I think of it much more like convention space and how a city would invest in that because of the economic benefit. In LV if we are not always upgrading our entertainment options, we will die. We have +40 plus million people a year come to our city wanting to be entertained. Other cities don't have anything close to that. We will have multiple bowl games, major soccer games, MMA events (HQ is here) and other big football games here.   LV needs it the same way it needs convention space; to keep people coming back for more. 

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I expect the phones to start ringing any minute now. 

I'm hearing the B12 wants Vegas too and a bidding war is inevitable. 

Look I'm not saying it's not impossible that unlv could be a serious expansion candidate but ask CSU how a shiny new stadium worked out for them when they're in a much larger TV market and have had a lot more football success.  

• Like 2