RAMification

is it painfully obvious yet that the MWC needs Shocker's help?

not much longer now....

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/18983243

Wichita State would accept an invitation to move to the American Athletic Conference from the Missouri Valley Conference if the league decides in the coming weeks and or months to extend that offer, university sources told ESPN on Thursday.

A source with direct knowledge told ESPN on Thursday that the AAC will make a decision on Wichita State soon.

A source said it would take a 75 percent vote from the current conference membership to add a member and that the AAC is only looking at the possibility of adding Wichita State and not other schools.

WSU needs 9 of 12 Presidents...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

If I were the president at WSU I'd definitely prefer the AAC to the MWC. But it wouldn't be because of their incredible NCAA tournament performances this year as a conference... it's just a better geographic fit.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If I were the president at WSU I'd definitely prefer the AAC to the MWC. But it wouldn't be because of their incredible NCAA tournament performances this year as a conference... it's just a better geographic fit.

the AAC put in 2 this season, but 4 the season before...and also 4 in 2014.

that makes the AAC a 2-4 bid conference, which is WAY better than the MVC.

UConn, Memphis, Temple, and Tulsa went a combined 66-63 this season...I don't expect those storied programs to stay down long.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

not much longer now....

You act like the AAC is still competing against the MWC. Well, it isn't. Not because the AAC has improved to "P6" level, that's a complete joke, but because the MWC has regressed so badly over the last half dozen years that if it didn't have SDSU, Boise, CSU, AFA and, if Tedford rights the ship, Fresno, the MWC would be the MAC.

To borrow from RogueStout, the contention that the MWC might be able to lure Gonzaga to this mess is just as absurd as the AAC's P6 claim. But watch, Hairball will persuade his drooling fool bosses to add UTEP and Rice and that will mercifully finish off this steaming pile.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You act like the AAC is still competing against the MWC. Well, it isn't. Not because the AAC has improved to "P6" level, that's a complete joke, but because the MWC has regressed so badly over the last half dozen years that if it didn't have SDSU, Boise, CSU, AFA and, if Tedford rights the ship, Fresno, the MWC would be the MAC.

To borrow from RogueStout, the contention that the MWC might be able to lure Gonzaga to this mess is just as absurd as the AAC's P6 claim. But watch, Hairball will persuade his drooling fool bosses to add UTEP and Rice and that will mercifully finish off this steaming pile.

lol, who are you talking to because I see none of that here...I was responding to the OP (who wants WSU in the MWC)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

18 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

lol, who are you talking to because I see none of that here...I was responding to the OP (who wants WSU in the MWC)

Sorry, my bad. I can't recall exactly what that guy said but if he thinks Wichita State would come to the 2017 MWC, that's a pipe dream. WSU supposedly approached the MWC about membership several years ago but that was a much different MWC. Despite great regression of this conference Craig Thompson remains commissioner and anybody paying attention like WSU's administration would know what a huge detriment that is. (Not that the AAC guy is any Pete Rozelle either.)

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:44 PM, MWC Tex said:

Which is fine because Wichita is wanting FBS football and we don't want start up football programs. 

Besides, Gonzaga would do more for us than Wichita.  Gonzaga has a bigger brand in Washington and the rest of the Northwest (with a good size population) than Wichita St does in Kansas (with a very low populated state).  Sounds like GU make be a option for us if they are wanting from move from the WCC. 

"Gonzaga is going to do what is best for them"  http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/5160883-151/gonzaga-on-future-league-were-going-to-do

More like....

2914925.jpg&w=640&h=360&1479353229863

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

12 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

the AAC put in 2 this season, but 4 the season before...and also 4 in 2014.

that makes the AAC a 2-4 bid conference, which is WAY better than the MVC.

UConn, Memphis, Temple, and Tulsa went a combined 66-63 this season...I don't expect those storied programs to stay down long.

The AACs record has been pretty poor after year 1 though. Reminds me of how the MWC had a string of years where they got a good amount of bids and did nothing with them. Seems like the AAC is very clearly trending downward now that all the players that signed up to play in the Big East are gone. And as far as historically good programs under achieving, we have that too so I'm not sure why you even bothered to bring that up.

But like I said before, Wichita joining a conference based in the central and eastern time zones just makes sense. 

13 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

not much longer now....

Does that include Navy even though they are a FB-only member?

On 3/21/2017 at 3:50 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

There's no disputing that. My point is simply that decision will forever haunt this conference.

And Northwestern isn't at all the same. Having NW and Illinois both in the fold since forever means the B1G has always and will likely always own the country's third largest media center. For MWC decision makers to think that bringing in SJSU would give them more than 5% of the Bay Area was pure naivete.

You SAN! haters crack me up. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The AACs record has been pretty poor after year 1 though. Reminds me of how the MWC had a string of years where they got a good amount of bids and did nothing with them. Seems like the AAC is very clearly trending downward now that all the players that signed up to play in the Big East are gone. And as far as historically good programs under achieving, we have that too so I'm not sure why you even bothered to bring that up.

But like I said before, Wichita joining a conference based in the central and eastern time zones just makes sense. 

Because it's factual. I was not comparing the AAC to the MWC but it's true that UNLV and New Mexico had underperforming seasons.

I mean, you say "The AACs record has been pretty poor after year 1"

yet the AAC put 4 teams in last season all while SMU was on a postseason ban...I no more expect teams like UConn, Memphis, and Temple to stay down than I would New Mexico or UNLV.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Does that include Navy even though they are a FB-only member?

not sure but 9 is still the magic number of votes since even if Navy doesn't vote...8 of 11 (no Navy) votes is only 73%...it takes a 75% vote to add a member...so 9 would be the number either way.

i think...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Because it's factual. I was not comparing the AAC to the MWC but it's true that UNLV and New Mexico had underperforming seasons.

I mean, you say "The AACs record has been pretty poor after year 1"

yet the AAC put 4 teams in last season all while SMU was on a postseason ban...I no more expect teams like UConn, Memphis, and Temple to stay down than I would New Mexico or UNLV.

Dude, don't worry, you guys are located in the right time zones; you are the better fit. 

19 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Sorry, my bad. I can't recall exactly what that guy said but if he thinks Wichita State would come to the 2017 MWC, that's a pipe dream. WSU supposedly approached the MWC about membership several years ago but that was a much different MWC. Despite great regression of this conference Craig Thompson remains commissioner and anybody paying attention like WSU's administration would know what a huge detriment that is. (Not that the AAC guy is any Pete Rozelle either.)

10 months ago

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-considering-football/amp/

21 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

the MWC has regressed so badly over the last half dozen years that if it didn't have SDSU, Boise, CSU, AFA and, if Tedford rights the ship, Fresno, the MWC would be the MAC.

This is one of the worst arguments/points I have seen in a long time.....you literally named 5 of the 11 full time members and your point was that if they all left, the conference wouldn't be the same. No chit dumbass.....

Kinda like how if you took Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State and West Virginia out of the Big 12, they wouldn't be as strong of a conference......

What does the AAC look like without Houston, UConn, Memphis, Cincy and UCF?

Great point you made! Do you have any other bold statements up your sleeve?

• Like 3

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

If AAC has already lasso'd the Shockers Oly Sports... they're far wiser than the MWC.  And it would offer Proof again that one can only lead a horse to water.  

I do wonder aloud, do Shockers want to enter an AAC league that's far tougher to become Champion of, and earn NCAA invites, and earn more Tourney Credits by going deeper in the rounds???  My guess is that Shocks, having been in Conference w/ Tulsa, Memphis, Cincy are more than happy to face more heat from these long time rivals.

Go MWC !!!!!

1 hour ago, RAMification said:

If AAC has already lasso'd the Shockers Oly Sports... they're far wiser than the MWC.  And it would offer Proof again that one can only lead a horse to water.  

I do wonder aloud, do Shockers want to enter an AAC league that's far tougher to become Champion of, and earn NCAA invites, and earn more Tourney Credits by going deeper in the rounds???  My guess is that Shocks, having been in Conference w/ Tulsa, Memphis, Cincy are more than happy to face more heat from these long time rivals.

Go MWC !!!!!

correct...Memphis, Cincy, Houston, and Tulsa were all conference mates with WSU in the past...SMU would also make for an easy rivalry for WSU as Dallas is only a 5 hour drive.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, bitteraztec said:

Hair Thompson, the epitome of professionalism.  Instead of saying we have "no comment", or making a general statement about the quality of Wichita State, he says this:

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said he did not have direct contact with Bardo or Wichita State officials. He added that if Wichita State plans to park its basketball program in a new conference, “It ain’t going to be us."

On 3/24/2017 at 1:50 PM, UofMTigers said:

correct...Memphis, Cincy, Houston, and Tulsa were all conference mates with WSU in the past...SMU would also make for an easy rivalry for WSU as Dallas is only a 5 hour drive.

I did not know Houston was ever in the MoValley... but man that was some great MoValley BBall to watch back in early 70's... Mo Cheeks @ NMSU, Drake was also preety good, and L'ville (also in that MoValley) came to Koch arena the place was rockin.