SpartanGrad

Concerns Mount for Tedford

24 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Tough thread to follow.  I keep forgetting if Tedford is at Fresno or SJSU.  So easy to get the two programs confused.

You know, I was going to call BS on that post because I was going to say Fresno's football team has only been terrible for two years. However, I checked and the Bulldogs haven't won a bowl game in a decade and that was the Inhumanitarian Bowl in Boise, since renamed the Infamous Potato Bowl, which hardly counts. In the meantime Fresno has LOST 6 bowl games. So my apologies for thinking that confusing Fresno football with SJSU football was inexcusable. In fact, for a Coloradan it's quite understandable.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You know, I was going to call BS on that post because I was going to say Fresno's football team has only been terrible for two years. However, I checked and the Bulldogs haven't won a bowl game in a decade and that was the Inhumanitarian Bowl in Boise, since renamed the Infamous Potato Bowl, which hardly counts. In the meantime Fresno has LOST 65 bowl games. So my apologies for thinking that confusing Fresno football with SJSU football was inexcusable. In fact, for a Coloradan it's quite excusable.

LOL.  They're really not that easy to confuse, I just lose track of all the coaching changes.  As far as the programs themselves it's a pretty clear differentiation.  One of the schools has fans and appears to be sponsored by Purina.

To put the article in a context that a San Jose State fan can understand, Marek Warszawski is the Fresno Bee's version of the SJ Mercury's Mark Purdy.

It is difficult for either to write a positive column about their hometown team. They both seem to relish writing a negative article.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

LOL.  They're really not that easy to confuse, I just lose track of all the coaching changes.  As far as the programs themselves it's a pretty clear differentiation.  One of the schools has fans and appears to be sponsored by Purina.

Well, speaking of losing track, once Pat Hill decided he wouldn't play SDSU again after our lousy 2004 team came within a tipped FG attempt on the last play of the game from upsetting his team at Fresno, I've obviously lost track of just how much Fresno's football program had fallen off. The Bulldogs had a really impressive run for a few years under Mr. We'll Play Anybody Anywhere Any Time but other than one 10-game stretch under the guy they just fired, Fresno really hasn't done all that much over the last decade.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

hmmmm. I guess the point is missed on some. Namely, Fresno has to LOAD UP incentive pay to get anyone to coach for their team. All while keeping the base salary comparatively low given the bonus structure. 

Yet, your coaches are jumping ship to the greener pastures of Fresno. LMAO. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

14 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Well, speaking of losing track, once Pat Hill decided he wouldn't play SDSU again after our lousy 2004 team came within a tipped FG attempt on the last play of the game from upsetting his team at Fresno, I've obviously lost track of just how much Fresno's football program had fallen off. The Bulldogs had a really impressive run for a few years under Mr. We'll Play Anybody Anywhere Any Time but other than one 10-game stretch under the guy they just fired, Fresno really hasn't done all that much over the last decade.

2 MWC championships in the last decade is more than most in this conference has done. 

15 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

2 MWC championships in the last decade is more than most in this conference has done. 

This conference has sucked nuts the last 7 years. It's among the reasons SDSU has gone from a second division football team to a perennial bowl participant.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

This conference has sucked nuts the last 7 years. It's among the reasons SDSU has gone from a second division football team to a perennial bowl participant.

This is true, however...I see a lot of promise going forward.  It's like some folks woke up and realized it was time to do something different.  Investments in coaching, facilities, and marketing are more the norm than the exception all of a sudden.  Now the conference itself needs to step up and make similar investments to carry the opportunities forward.  We're getting better FB programs, we also need to offer better TV and post season opportunities.  The MWC doesn't need to create a better market, they just need to position us better in the market that exists.

20 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

Just like your coaches leaving Fresno and going for greener pastures to coach for Deruyter. LMAO. 

Yes, Cal is a P5 program and a more attractive job than Fresno. No big shocker or argument from me. Not much different than Fresno being a much more attractive job than SJSU. 

17 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Yes, Cal is a P5 program and a more attractive job than Fresno. No big shocker or argument from me. Not much different than Fresno being a much more attractive job than SJSU. 

A Sharta grad doesn't understand simple things like that lol. 

18 hours ago, SpartanGrad said:

I guess you're right. Bonuses are rewards for performance. If Tedford could achieve a conference title he certainly deserves more than Saban. It would be the performance of a lifetime. Fresno Football is in such a bad state that they had to promise the moon to bring anyone to coach.

Now you have it.  Fresno is offering the big bonuses because its leadership know there is no way that Tedford can earn them.  There is no financial risk to the university.

37 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

Tired Retreadford better collect his bonuses quickly before the APR sanctions kick in....they shoulda incentivized Jeff's academic watch, and heavily...

They did, it's a big part of his bonus structure.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Muss gets a 500k bonus he he sells his allotment of tickets. That's half a million and for basketball which doesn't pay as much as football. And Basketball made a 1.8 mil profit last year. Muss only got about half of his attendance bonus last year. He gets half of sales over 1.2 mil We sold 1.68 mil so half of $480k is $240k. 

kat.jpg