SpartanGrad

Concerns Mount for Tedford

It appears that the local Fresno faithful are becoming weary of Tedford's ability to deliver results and what it will cost them if he does. 

"If Alabama wins its Southeastern Conference division and plays for the SEC championship, Nick Saban gets a $75,000 bonus. If the Crimson Tide wins the SEC title, the bonus increases to $125,000.

If Fresno State wins its Mountain West Conference division and plays for the MW championship, Tedford gets a $150,000 bonus. If the Bulldogs win the MW title, the bonus increases to $250,000."

Tedford could win, but he may bankrupt Fresno in the process. Got to admire big bets. 

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article139273913.html

spartan-hands.gif

$250,000 one way or another doesn't amount to diddly squat for an FBS head coach these days.

Oops, sorry. I forgot that you're a fan of San Jose State where $25,000 is a lot of money.

• Like 5

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

$250,000 one way or another doesn't amount to diddly squat for an FBS head coach these days.

Oops, sorry. I forgot that you're a fan of San Jose State where $25,000 is a lot of money.

We like to ball on a budget.

spartan-hands.gif

Marek is a slimy sports "journalist" who regularly writes incredibly negative articles about the university as a whole, and athletics specifically. Comparing Saban and Tedford's contracts is comparing apples and oranges --- Marek knows it, but he buried that after he tried to throw the "sticker shock" out there and act as though we're vastly overpaying. 

If Tedford gets the team to perform to the level where he's going to get all of those bonuses, then the contract pays for itself both in terms of revenue and a return to relevance in the conference and nationally. Hell, if he hits all of those marks, then he's still making about the same as a low-tier P5 job. There's no "concerns mounting", there's simply a "journalist" who has a history of attacking the program, manipulating facts and acting as though the sky is falling. 

• Like 1

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can see a reason why the bonuses would be as high as they are. The school and Tedford realized making or winning a MWC Championship game isn't likely until year three of the contract at the earliest. So you could view it as a deferred payment for rebuilding the program from the flaming dumpster fire than DeRuyter turned it into. If he turns it around for year two, then he's ahead of schedule, and again --- the bonuses pay for themselves. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can see a reason why the bonuses would be as high as they are. The school and Tedford realized making or winning a MWC Championship game isn't likely until year three of the contract at the earliest. So you could view it as a deferred payment for rebuilding the program from the flaming dumpster fire than DeRuyter turned it into. If he turns it around for year two, then he's ahead of schedule, and again --- the bonuses pay for themselves. 

The only part that made me raise my eyebrows was the big bowl game bonus and the extra 50 grand for wins 7, 8, and 9. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

26 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

IDK, I think it's impressive Fresno has the ability to shell that kind of money out if anything. 

That said if he gets things rolling like it's at least 2004 again, it'll look like a good investment. 

You think Tedford is worth more than Saban? Can't imagine that's true given his W/L record and record on academics.

spartan-hands.gif

Just now, SpartanGrad said:

You think Tedford is worth more than Saban? Can't imagine that's true given his W/L record and record on academics.

Tedford isn't getting paid more than Saban.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, SpartanGrad said:

Per the article his bonuses are higher than Saban's. While his base maybe off, getting paid more bonuses than Saban is a big deal. 

No it isn't. It's a retarded point when Saban's guaranteed money dwarfs any amount Tedford could hope to make in his best year.

• Like 6

I guess you're right. Bonuses are rewards for performance. If Tedford could achieve a conference title he certainly deserves more than Saban. It would be the performance of a lifetime. Fresno Football is in such a bad state that they had to promise the moon to bring anyone to coach.

• Like 1

spartan-hands.gif

54 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

IDK, I think it's impressive Fresno has the ability to shell that kind of money out if anything. 

That said if he gets things rolling like it's at least 2004 again, it'll look like a good investment. 

The premise that it's a bad idea is nothing short of ridiculous. It's probably beyond the conception of SJSU fans since their football team hasn't won a conference title in memory and given the abject apathy there it might not matter if the Spartans did but if Tedford accomplishes those goals, Fresno State figures to earn so much more in ticket and merchandise sales that will pay for his bonuses.

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

I guess you're right. Bonuses are rewards for performance. If Tedford could achieve a conference title he certainly deserves more than Saban. It would be the performance of a lifetime. Fresno Football is in such a bad state that they had to promise the moon to bring anyone to coach.

Maybe I should get off your case. It's been a few years since I used to visit the SJSU board but the cluelessness there was such that I suspect there's a thread on that place now where everybody is certain that by agreeing to that provision Fresno's athletic director has screwed the bulldog (or maybe the sheep).

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.

48 minutes ago, SpartanGrad said:

Lol, you really are a Shartangrad. Look at Saban's base salary compared to Tedford's.

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

San Jose hasn't won anything since the PCAA was still around so I don't know why you're bagging on Fresno being some terrible program. 

If I were you I'd worry more about your team becoming Sac State's travel partner in the Big Sky or HSU's in the GNAC than I would Fresno giving out performance bonuses to one guy that likely exceed the pay of your entire staff. 

Sharta Fan gonna Sharta Fan. Lol

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Tough thread to follow.  I keep forgetting if Tedford is at Fresno or SJSU.  So easy to get the two programs confused.

SJSU has as many MWC championships as CSU in basketball and football since realignment.

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 minute ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

SJSU has as many MWC championships as CSU in basketball and football since realignment.

Well, bless your heart.  Thank you for pointing that out.