crixus

Far Right Loses In The Netherlands

"Trump clown.gif Effect" fails in the Netherlands, Geert Wilders loses to Prime Minister Mark Rutte. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/17/the-daily-show-takes-down-dutch-trump-what-is-it-with-these-villains-and-their-hair.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crixus said:

"Trump clown.gif Effect" fails in the Netherlands, Geert Wilders loses to Prime Minister Mark Rutte. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/17/the-daily-show-takes-down-dutch-trump-what-is-it-with-these-villains-and-their-hair.html

On the surface this is good news, however he moved their center far to the right.  In order to win Rutte had to become far more conservative even saying things like "they need to act like regular people or go back to where they came from".  The Trump effect drastically changed the political spectrum in the Netherlands.  Wilders lost, which is a good thing however the politics of the country took a HARD turn to the right to deny him.

Nationalism is a very scary thing and thank goodness this lunatic will go back under his rock for a few years, let's hope there isn't a Trump behind this Sarah Palin. 

• Like 1

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

50 minutes ago, just_chris said:

Nationalism is a very scary thing and thank goodness this lunatic will go back under his rock for a few years, let's hope there isn't a Trump behind this Sarah Palin. 

He still wields a great bit of power.  Hell he single handily moved the center line far, far to the right of where it was.  He just proved in order to wield significant influence in the Netherlands you must talk the talk in regards to immigration.  He forced Rutte to speak in favor cultural assimilation of Muslim immigrants.  Forced Rutte to say they need to "act normal or get out".  He rocked the political climate in the Netherlands and any comparison to Palin is ignorant.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

He still wields a great bit of power.  Hell he single handily moved the center line far, far to the right of where it was.  He just proved in order to wield significant influence in the Netherlands you must talk the talk in regards to immigration.  He forced Rutte to speak in favor cultural assimilation of Muslim immigrants.  Forced Rutte to say they need to "act normal or get out".  He rocked the political climate in the Netherlands and any comparison to Palin is ignorant.

I have a friend who is Dutch and they already have a policy of assimilation, people are more or less forced to accept the Dutch way of life before they immigrate there. This is nothing new. 

4 minutes ago, just_chris said:

I have a friend who is Dutch and they already have a policy of assimilation, people are more or less forced to accept the Dutch way of life before they immigrate there. This is nothing new. 

But the political rhetoric was not so blunt.  Rutte had to play to the anti Islamic crowd to pull crucial votes away from those who disliked Islam but thought Wilders was unwholesome.  The far right won big, even if Wilders did not.  They are now considered closer to center.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

But the political rhetoric was not so blunt.  Rutte had to play to the anti Islamic crowd to pull crucial votes away from those who disliked Islam but thought Wilders was unwholesome.  The far right won big, even if Wilders did not.  They are now considered closer to center.

And it will all fade away, the Dutch are not Americans who live in fear of the boogeyman. 

Just now, just_chris said:

And it will all fade away, the Dutch are not Americans who live in fear of the boogeyman. 

I think you are being naive.   The threat of populism and nationalism was in no way stymied yesterday.  They gained power.  He was great underdog a year ago, he moved the entire political spectrum far to the right.  He did more than anybody thought he could possibly accomplish 18 months ago.

Free trade skeptics and nationalistic pride is growing.  Do not be fooled.  Europe swung way to far to the left because of big papy USA, but swings go both ways.