BodyBagGame

New NIT rules

I kind of like the team fouls being reset after the first ten minutes. Not sure how many people are paying attention to the NIT or CBI, but these games seem to be flowing a lot better.

I can see this catching on.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HylianHero said:

I really like it, though I wish they would just call it quarters and be done with it.

That's the reason for the test.  The goal is to join the rest of the world and go to quarters, although this may ultimately be an interim step.  

• Like 1

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

If implemented, this would cut down on 3 point attempts and bring the game back into the paint.  Not that I'm totally opposed to that.  Too much benefit to force the ball inside and work for a two or a foul.  If you can get 4 by the 6 or 7 minute mark, it's golden.  No 1-1, just two shots every time you can draw a foul for 8 or 10 possessions.  Have a tall guard drive on a slow center in the arc and it's free money.

I like games that are settled underneath the basket, but I can see some changes in coaching approach that takes things right back to a free throw contest.

9 hours ago, RSF said:

That's the reason for the test.  The goal is to join the rest of the world and go to quarters, although this may ultimately be an interim step.  

The NCAA is notoriously slow to make changes. Here's to implementing quarters. buds.gif

10 hours ago, RSF said:

That may happen starting next year.  I could see the NCAA going to quarters quickly.

The new rules made for a real interesting game today between TCU and Iowa.  It was backwards of what you normally see.  Neither team had committed any fouls in the final ten minutes in a game that was never more than 2 points apart the final two minutes.  In the last 30 seconds, every time a team got the lead, they started fouling because neither team was in the bonus.  Iowa tied it up with about 6 seconds left in regulation and TCU was barely able to get a shot off before the buzzer due to all the fouls in a tie game.

In overtime, they make you foul three times before the bonus.  TCU jumped out to a two possession lead and tried to make fouls down the stretch.  It almost backfired because their 5 point lead with 7 seconds left still gave Iowa a chance to shoot for the win at the buzzer.  Nevertheless, TCU is on to the quarterfinals.

• Like 2