retrofade

Texans having land condemned for the Great Wall of Trump

The government offered $2,900 for 1.2 acres near the Rio Grande. If Flores chooses not to accept the offer, the land could be seized through eminent domain.

https://www.texasobserver.org/texas-border-wall-mexico-condemnation-letter/

Where are all of you right-wing anti-eminent domain crusaders now? $2,900 for 1.2 acres of property? The government is stealing from these people --- hey, we'll give you this pittance or we're just going to take the land anyway. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN BY STEALING FROM CITIZENS! WHOOOOOO! MURICA!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Where are all of you right-wing anti-eminent domain crusaders now? $2,900 for 1.2 acres of property? The government is stealing from these people --- hey, we'll give you this pittance or we're just going to take the land anyway. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN BY STEALING FROM CITIZENS! WHOOOOOO! MURICA!!!!!!!!!

So Mr. Real Estate appraiser, how much is unimproved land worth in Los Ebanos, Tejas? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I'm pretty sure he gets the check even if it's seized through eminent domain. 

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 hours ago, pokebball said:

I'm pretty sure he gets the check even if it's seized through eminent domain. 

He definitely would get fair market value. I've been involved in a number of eminent domain exercises for right of way. People definitely get a sum that is at the higher end of appraisals. Once you get to that point as a gov. agency there's no point low-balling and ending up in court. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

And for fair market value of shit desert land too. They should just be happy someone would pay them something for it. 

I think you may be missing an important point.

The dude was happy where he lived - didn't put it up for sale. Can you put a price on that? $2,900 is not a reasonable price for someone who is being told to take this amount or well, you're going to take this amount and we take your land.

Its not right. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

The dude was happy where he lived - didn't put it up for sale. Can you put a price on that? $2,900 is not a reasonable price for someone who is being told to take this amount or well, you're going to take this amount and we take your land.

Its not right. 

But you could say that any time the power of eminent domain is used. By definition the government is exercising a right to acquire property against the will of the private owner for a public purpose. It happens all the time for roads and pipelines. Don't think by me posting this I'm in support of the wall. I think it's one of the stupidest things ever proposed by the federal government. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Its not right. 

Eminent domain is messed up, but I think this is pretty tame. They're not being forced to move. It's a brush covered plot.

ZF4A1470-759x506.jpg

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Eminent domain is messed up, but I think this is pretty tame. They're not being forced to move. It's a brush covered plot.

But it's their brush covered plot. I get that sometimes private ownership has to yield to greater public good. But the argument that they were fairly compensated is a bad one. 

15 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

But it's their brush covered plot. I get that sometimes private ownership has to yield to greater public good. But the argument that they were fairly compensated is a bad one. 

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/rural-land#!/region/South_Texas

According to this the median price per acre in South Texas is $1,362. $2,900 for 1.2 acres doesn't seem egregious.

• Like 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I once drove from San Antonio to Eagle Pass. It's the town on the border where the hotel shoot out happened in No Country for Old Men. It was 4 hours of mesquite trees and buzzards. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I once drove from San Antonio to Eagle Pass. It's the town on the border where the hotel shoot out happened in No Country for Old Men. It was 4 hours of mesquite trees and buzzards. 

Best movie of this century.

• Like 2

Eminent domain sucks like when democrats stole unique property from New Jersey residents to give to Trump and his buddies.

Same thing has happened by democrats in several redevelopment projects where unique property is taken by the government and given to the rich.

This on the other hand looks like what eminent domain is for.  A public infrastructure project that purports to be in the public good takes a fairly worthless and definitely not a unique property through eminent domain.

Now I think the Wall is dumb and the project a total waste of taxpayer dollars but you assholes voted for this shit.   This sadly is an appropriate use of the eminent domain law.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Its not right. 

9 hours ago, I am Ram said:

The land is 16 acres, and the government is asking to buy 1.2 acres of it. Nobody is moving, so stop the histrionics. 

Of course, I wouldn't want a wall on my property, either. NIMBY! 

There are ways to do eminent domain.

This is 1.2 acres of scrub. So, it's not exactly valuable. However where is this guy going to find 1.2 acres of similar land for 3 grand? It's not like there is a super center for this stuff

When my grandmother lived in Worland her house was condemned for eminent domain for a new road system, IIRC. Instead of buying the house the government agency (not sure if it was state, federal, or county) found her a similar sized house in the neighborhood, bought it, and moved her in to it. She then transferred her title over to them for the original house.

That seems much more in the spirit of compensation. You get to be in similar living circumstances, you aren't having to get a check but no place to live. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

At any rate, I just want to see every instance of eminent domain litigated, and every inch of federal land this wall will built on to be tied up in a EIS for the next 10 years. 

• Like 2

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

11 hours ago, I am Ram said:

What's your argument for fair price?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Canadians and northerners are too nice to argue about eminent domain and walls.  I suspect this is why we haven't heard any complaints about the northern wall. :rock:

If we had a northern wall, the undocumented couldn't get to Canada as easily!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-mexico-canada-idUSKBN16N1W0

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

At any rate, I just want to see every instance of eminent domain litigated, and every inch of federal land this wall will built on to be tied up in a EIS for the next 10 years. 

Unfortunately, an EIS won't happen (as is evidenced by the fact they're already acquiring land). They're relying on the Dubyah border fence authorization, which exempted the project from NEPA review. It has resulted in some drainage nightmares along the SD/TJ fence. 

If NEPA was applied, the Socioeconomic impacts of the wall would need examination. This would include analyzing the effects of private property acquisition and residential relocation. But that kind of big government analysis apparently doesn't jive with making 'Murica great again.

Oh, and EPA has to sign off on Final EISs. Doesn't look like there will be anyone there to do it anyway.