mugtang

Did Maddow commit a felony by releasing Trump's return?

Just now, retrofade said:

It's actually "real" news, it's just irrelevant. 

No such thing as irrelevant news. "News" is by definition relevant.  FAKE news is the attempt to elevate/ mischaracterize of the irrelevant or just plain dishonest  into something newsworthy.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Just now, SDSUfan said:

No such thing as irrelevant news. "News" is by definition relevant.  FAKE news is the attempt to elevate/ mischaracterize of the irrelevant or just plain dishonest  into something newsworthy.

:facepalm:

I should know better than to reason with a trumpet

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

:facepalm:

I should know better than to reason with a trumpet

Whatever you need to tell yourself to get through the day...

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

14 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Whatever you need to tell yourself to get through the day...

Okay, y'know what... let's try this again, and maybe it'll get through your alt-right trumpet skull. 

"Fake news" implies fake or false information masquerading as real news. Pizzagate is a prime example of "fake news". There is such a thing as a news item that isn't relevant. While releasing Trump's 1040 from 2005 is technically news, it isn't particularly relevant.

Let's take a look at the definition of the word "news". 

news
a broadcast or published report of news.
plural noun: the news
"he was back in the news again"
synonyms:    report, announcement, story, account; More
informal
information not previously known to someone.
"this was hardly news to her"

So yes, releasing Trump's 1040 from 2005 is news, but it isn't particular relevant information to today. The question wasn't ever about Trump's taxes from 2005, and it wasn't about the 1040 form, it was about everything that goes into an actual tax return. Had the entire return been released, it would have been more newsworthy as it would have shown information that people are interested in --- what his income sources were, etc. However, even if the entire return were released, it would still be somewhat irrelevant because the return is 12 years old. 

Now, if you can't understand that, it's not my fault... I've laid it out in simple terms that even the most ardent trumpet should be able to understand. If you can't comprehend those very simple concepts, then I don't give a shit, and it certainly isn't going to have an effect on my day. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Okay, y'know what... let's try this again, and maybe it'll get through your alt-right trumpet skull. 

"Fake news" implies fake or false information masquerading as real news. Pizzagate is a prime example of "fake news". There is such a thing as a news item that isn't relevant. While releasing Trump's 1040 from 2005 is technically news, it isn't particularly relevant.

news
informal

So yes, releasing Trump's 1040 from 2005 is news, but it isn't particular relevant information to today. The question wasn't ever about Trump's taxes from 2005, and it wasn't about the 1040 form, it was about everything that goes into an actual tax return. Had the entire return been released, it would have been more newsworthy as it would have shown information that people are interested in --- what his income sources were, etc. However, even if the entire return were released, it would still be somewhat irrelevant because the return is 12 years old. 

Now, if you can't understand that, it's not my fault... I've laid it out in simple terms that even the most ardent trumpet should be able to understand. If you can't comprehend those very simple concepts, then I don't give a shit, and it certainly isn't going to have an effect on my day. 

I don't care what self serving definition you care to put forth. When the little crossdressing hate puppet attempts to elevate the mundane/irrelevant to something that it isn't ( relevant/newsworthy) it's FAKE news.  But go ahead and continue with your mental gymnastics.  It's pretty entertaining.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

42 minutes ago, retrofade said:

news
informal

Also,  I'm going to go ahead and guess that if his tax return showed he paid 28 cents instead of 38 million and it was all nice a legal, you would have  considered it "relevant".  The HATE Posse.  The gift that keeps on giving...

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Also,  I'm going to go ahead and guess that if his tax return showed he paid 28 cents instead of 38 million and it was all nice a legal, you would have  considered it "relevant".  The HATE Posse.  The gift that keeps on giving...

I wouldn't have considered it to be particularly relevant at that point either. It would raise some red flags, but again it was simply the 1040, so it doesn't really show much of interest. 

Keep trumpeting along buddy. 

26 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't care what self serving definition you care to put forth. When the little crossdressing hate puppet attempts to elevate the mundane/irrelevant to something that it isn't ( relevant/newsworthy) it's FAKE news.  But go ahead and continue with your mental gymnastics.  It's pretty entertaining.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Merriam-Webster was "self-serving"; here I thought that it was simply a dictionary. Who knew? I shouldn't be surprised that an alt-right trumpeteer would take issue with the dictionary and facts. Keep trumpeting along, little man.

• Like 1

@mugtang

Quote function isn't working in chrome again, but reply is

@SDSUfan

No, you're totally wrong in your definitions.

"fake news" is lies masquerading as real news

"irrelevant news" would be facts that don't really matter to anyone. 

He isn't the one doing mental gymnastics, you are. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

@mugtang

@SDSUfan

Yeah the host is making some updates to the server.  I'm trying to work with them to get it resolved. Sorry :( 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

@mugtang

@SDSUfan

Quote appears to be working for me in Chrome, though I'm on my MacBook Pro. 

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

She spent 20 minutes blabbering about the Russians and Flynn and etc etc etc when the return was just the 2 pages of the 1040 and didn't reveal anything except to squash the narrative Trump didn't pay taxes for 20 years. Sure, Maddow likely saw a 1 time ratings jump but I don't think the reveal had the intention she desired.  

It's better than nothing, eh? And I'm not a Maddow watcher, but based on what I do know, most of her shows are pretty much like that. Half an hour of bla-bla follow by something that may or may not be mildly interesting/important. 

4 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Highly doubt her goal was to look like a fool for a quick 30 minute viewer spike.

News people like Maddow are so polarizing they don't care if they look like fools to those outside their fan base. But they do care about the ratings even if they are short-lived.

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

It's better than nothing, eh? And I'm not a Maddow watcher, but based on what I do know, most of her shows are pretty much like that. Half an hour of bla-bla follow by something that may or may not be mildly interesting/important. 

News people like Maddow are so polarizing they don't care if they look like fools to those outside their fan base. But they do care about the ratings even if they are short-lived.

I've never watched her show and don't watch news talking heads in general but it sounds like that's a typical show for her as well.  Gets all 12 of her viewers frothing at the mouth and lets them down.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I've never watched her show and don't watch news talking heads in general but it sounds like that's a typical show for her as well.  Gets all 12 of her viewers frothing at the mouth and lets them down.  

With all the great things to watch these days, why would anybody waste an hour on cable news talking heads?

• Like 1

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

With all the great things to watch these days, why would anybody waste an hour on cable news talking heads?

Some questions are better left unanswered because they may lead to other questions. Especially for CSU football fans... :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

news
informal

It did two things.  It made the notion that Trump really is not that rich and lies about his wealth seem less likely.  It also punched a hole in the "has not paid taxes in 20 years" narrative.