crixus

How Much Caffeine Is Too Much?

How Much Caffeine Is Too Much?

The current recommendation for people in good health is up to 400 milligrams of caffeine a day. That’s roughly the amount in four eight-ounce cups of brewed coffee. Drinking that much coffee may even bring health perks, including reduced risks of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes—though we don’t know whether that’s due to the caffeine or to antioxidants or other health-promoting substances in java. (In other words, don’t expect the same benefits from caffeinated sodas or energy shots.)

RELATED: The Caffeine Overdose Symptoms You Need to Know

But keep in mind that just because it’s safe to have that much caffeine doesn’t mean everyone should. We don’t all metabolize caffeine the same way: Some people find that even a little cup of coffee or tea can make them restless. Also, if you don’t consume caffeine regularly, you may be affected by it more intensely when you do have it. Listen to your body, and if you tend to get jittery, try spacing out your caffeinated beverages.

One more thing: If you’re a caffeine fiend, check in with yourself to make sure you’re not using a landslide of lattes to offset sleep deprivation. If you’re clocking enough sleep but still routinely feel exhausted, speak to your doctor to rule out any medical issues that can cause low energy, including a thyroid disorder.

- Dr. Roshini Raj, Health.com

I used to have a major caffeine problem back in my college days. I took full time classes at SJSU and had a job off campus as well. And then I had to make time to study on top of all of that which left me with very little sleep. And the only way I survived all of that was getting jacked up on caffeine (I never liked coffee, so I drank way too much Diet Dr. Pepper). I tried several times to ease off because I was getting restless with the jitters, but I was addicted. So when I graduated I gave it up cold turkey. And it worked, I kicked my cravings after feeling like crap (detoxing) for about a week. :blink:

The answer is that there's no such thing as too much caffeine. :D

That being said, I have significantly reduced my caffeine intake over the last few years. I drink non-caffeinated tea all day at work when it used to be coffee and soda. I do still intake more caffeine than a lot of people, but not nearly to the degree that I used to. 

10 hours ago, ph90702 said:

It's better to just avoid caffeinated drinks altogether.  People use them for energy because they don't get enough sleep.

Some of us suffer from things like insomnia and don't really have a choice about how much sleep they get. I get by with 5-6 hours every night, and yes I do drink my coffee in the mornings. However, I drink coffee on days when I'm actually able to get 8-9 hours of sleep, just to get myself going in the morning.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

Some of us suffer from things like insomnia and don't really have a choice about how much sleep they get. I get by with 5-6 hours every night, and yes I do drink my coffee in the mornings. However, I drink coffee on days when I'm actually able to get 8-9 hours of sleep, just to get myself going in the morning.

before 30 I was always going on 5-6 hours of sleep and now that I'm past 30 I find I'm getting like 7 hours when I have to work and 8 when I don't....I don't mean to, It's just something I've noticed lately.

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

before 30 I was always going on 5-6 hours of sleep and now that I'm past 30 I find I'm getting like 7 hours when I have to work and 8 when I don't....I don't mean to, It's just something I've noticed lately.

That's interesting, I've found that as I get older (I'm 34 now), I need less sleep than I did when I was younger. It used to be that I wouldn't be able to function very well unless I got a full 8, which was difficult because my insomnia was really bad in my 20s --- likely due to a lot of stress --- and I was constantly accidentally sleeping through my alarm. Now I go to bed around midnight and I'm up at 6:00 AM at least four days a week. Even on the weekend, I very rarely am able to sleep more than six hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

I allow myself 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning and a coke in the afternoon...I prefer my malty carbonated beverage of wheat and barley in the evenings ;-)

I used to love Coke but now I only drink it in a 50/50 solution with bourbon!:shots:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I used to love Coke but now I only drink it in a 50/50 solution with bourbon!:shots:

I liked Makers Mark but found it too expensive for the rate I was going through it, so I went with the Weller 7 year. It tasted the same to me and I actually liked it too much, lol. I stick to cheap watered down beer now. I can drink 3-4 and it doesn't do anything other than give me a buzz. I'll drown before I get drunk on 4.8% beer, lol.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

19 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I liked Makers Mark but found it too expensive for the rate I was going through it, so I went with the Weller 7 year. It tasted the same to me and I actually liked it too much, lol. I stick to cheap watered down beer now. I can drink 3-4 and it doesn't do anything other than give me a buzz. I'll drown before I get drunk on 4.8% beer, lol.

Makers is good enough to drink over ice. I use the cheap stuff if I'm mixing with Coke.

I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, but I do kind of love the smell of it in the morning. 

I had a pretty bad soda/pop addiction in high school, so I quit drinking it in college.  Next year I quit caffeine altogether.  Going on 17 years now.  Feels great.

Now if only I could do something about my cookies and ice cream habit. 

• Like 1

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

That's interesting, I've found that as I get older (I'm 34 now), I need less sleep than I did when I was younger. It used to be that I wouldn't be able to function very well unless I got a full 8, which was difficult because my insomnia was really bad in my 20s --- likely due to a lot of stress --- and I was constantly accidentally sleeping through my alarm. Now I go to bed around midnight and I'm up at 6:00 AM at least four days a week. Even on the weekend, I very rarely am able to sleep more than six hours. 

Same with me. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Jwherb said:

I have never had a cup of coffee in my life

my brain can't process this statement - started drinking coffee in 7th grade and drink a pot a day with no effect on sleep (fast metabolism I guess).

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and one in the early afternoon. I use an Italian moka pot, a $20 milk foamer, a burr grinder, and Costco beans. To my barbarian palate, my coffee tastes as good as the stuff that comes out of a $3,000 setup. 

So if I'm shaking from caffeine, is that too much?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Jwherb said:

I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, but I do kind of love the smell of it in the morning. 

I had a pretty bad soda/pop addiction in high school, so I quit drinking it in college.  Next year I quit caffeine altogether.  Going on 17 years now.  Feels great.

Now if only I could do something about my cookies and ice cream habit. 

Awww, what a wholesome and clean joke! Cookie and ice cream "addiction," now that is funny!  <3 

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

• Like 1