TheDoggFather

OT: Nike to produce first ever "performance hijab"

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Yes and no.  I am assuming you may be going with Muslims who weren't born here when I state that I see little different than most other immigrant communities (the ones I grew up with were Hmong, Somali, Russian/East Euro) in terms of self-segregation or assimilation.  American Muslims seem to  fully assimilate.  Granted though, I rarely (I mean, really rarely) see the whole burqa thing in America.  I have no anecdotes for that.

And I have seen intolerance towards Christian or other religion Middle Easterners as much as Muslim Middle Easterners.  To some, middle easterners are middle easterners.

Hmong and Somali? Did you grow up in the Twin Cities?

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

My hometown of L.A. is about as ethnically diverse as it gets but the one demographic we don't have much of is Muslims. Example: when I saw the thread title I recognized "hijab" but wasn't even sure exactly what it was and I rarely see a woman wearing one in my neck of the woods.

Just curious. Do any of you folks out there live in communities with a lot of Muslims and, if so, have they been assimilating?

We have had a large Bosnian community building up here in Boise ever since the mess over there got going.

They are an awesome part of the community. I had several of them working for me at one point. Great guys, hard workers, great sense of humor. They would drive around out in the country and buy a lamb from a random farmer type every couple of months then smoke/roast it and bring it into work and feed everybody. 

No complaints at all.

Pretty much like Basque people. Just a great addition to help spice up a mostly homogeneous community. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Hmong and Somali? Did you grow up in the Twin Cities?

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Yep.

Not sure about Somali, but it seems like Hmong are pretty much concentrated in 3 areas in the US; Twin Cities, Spokane and the Central Valley (Sacto/Modesto/Stockton). 

Are they Muslim? I gotta admit I did not know that, although it does explain some things. 

8 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Not sure about Somali, but it seems like Hmong are pretty much concentrated in 3 areas in the US; Twin Cities, Spokane and the Central Valley (Sacto/Modesto/Stockton). 

Are they Muslim? I gotta admit I did not know that, although it does explain some things. 

No, not muslim that I know of.  I was speaking immigrant communities in general.  Quite a few Somalis in San Diego. 

16 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

No, not muslim that I know of.  I was speaking immigrant communities in general.  Quite a few Somalis in San Diego. 

Gotcha. Just looked it up, they're generally animist (which also makes sense).

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

My hometown of L.A. is about as ethnically diverse as it gets but the one demographic we don't have much of is Muslims. Example: when I saw the thread title I recognized "hijab" but wasn't even sure exactly what it was and I rarely see a woman wearing one in my neck of the woods.

Just curious. Do any of you folks out there live in communities with a lot of Muslims and, if so, have they been assimilating?

What do you mean by assimilating? Yes, I know the definition of assimilating.