Nevada Convert

OT: Have you seen any coaches wearing WP buttons?

I ask because I'm 99% sure that I saw Muss wearing a White Privilege button on his shirt during a game recently. I'm curious if this is something a lot of coaches are doing. It's an extreme and controversial political statement, but very few know about it (the button looks like a white piece of a puzzle). Even still, it surprised me. I hate to see more political stuff getting attached to sports. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I ask because I'm 99% sure that I saw Muss wearing a White Privilege button on his shirt during a game recently. I'm curious if this is something a lot of coaches are doing. It's an extreme and controversial political statement, but very few know about it (the button looks like a white piece of a puzzle). Even still, it surprised me. I hate to see more political stuff getting attached to sports. 

Are you sure the puzzle piece isnt blue?  Coaches recently have been wearing a blue puzzle piece to raise autism awareness. 

• Like 1

I doubt Muss was wearing one but if he was, it's not a big deal.  His players are primarily Black, his wife is black, so is his daughter.  So if he was wearing one, maybe he was doing it to stand in solidarity with the most important people in his life?

• Like 5

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I am a person of color, but I don't see anything wrong with taking pride in your race, as long as it's not a racist, take back my country, you don't belong here, kinda statement.

Go to any college campus and you find support groups for various ethnic groups, but try to put a group together for white folks, and everyone is up in arms because  the kkk is back... no... they're just white kids that want to gather together and talk/reflect, just like the black/brown/asian/gay/whatever kids want to.

• Like 4

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Wouldn't a "white privilege" button just be stating that you think white privilege exists? That doesn't seem like a very "extreme" statement.

• Like 4

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Wouldn't a "white privilege" button just be stating that you think white privilege exists? That doesn't seem like a very "extreme" statement.

And that's where you and everyone who believes that is wrong. It's the other side of the coin of a button that says "black inferiority". It's divisive and furthers no positive discussion.

If people were less obsessed with the divisiveness of identity and more focused on action and achievement, we'd have more equality.

• Like 3

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

The term white "privilege" should be changed. When I first heard of the concept, I did some reading and it's apparent the college professor who coined the term really didn't mean privilege in the usual context or at least not in the legal context where it's synonymous for "right." Whites once had vastly more rights in this country than members of other ethnic groups but the concept as originally intended was more in the nature of contemporary society where, for example, whites are insulated from the extent of discomfort in being approached by police that is true of African Americans and particularly in the Trump era, so many Hispanics.

That said, why on earth would Musselman want to so publicly point out white privilege? What's next, wearing a blue ribbon to support the ACLU?

Boom goes the dynamite.

46 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

And that's where you and everyone who believes that is wrong. It's the other side of the coin of a button that says "black inferiority". It's divisive and furthers no positive discussion.

If people were less obsessed with the divisiveness of identity and more focused on action and achievement, we'd have more equality.

Vanian, do you have any idea what "White Privilege" means?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I am a person of color, but I don't see anything wrong with taking pride in your race, as long as it's not a racist, take back my country, you don't belong here, kinda statement.

Go to any college campus and you find support groups for various ethnic groups, but try to put a group together for white folks, and everyone is up in arms because  the kkk is back... no... they're just white kids that want to gather together and talk/reflect, just like the black/brown/asian/gay/whatever kids want to.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

Not allowed to have pride in your race if you're white. 

How the phuck can you have "pride" in something you had absolutely nothing to do with?

This goes for black pride as well. Pride should come from achievement. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dpc8302 said:

Are you sure the puzzle piece isnt blue?  Coaches recently have been wearing a blue puzzle piece to raise autism awareness. 

Now that would make a lot of sense. However, I thought it was white, but I could always find video of it. I clicked on a news story about it a month ago,  so it jumped out at me when I saw it. 

The way the button meaning was explained to me was that it was more of a kind of public self shaming of yourself and acknowledgement to having had benefits that blacks didn't have getting to where you are in life......and of course feeling bad/guilty about it. Yes, it's extreme and ridiculous. 

kat.jpg

19 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Now that would make a lot of sense. However, I thought it was white, but I could always find video of it. I clicked on a news story about it a month ago,  so it jumped out at me when I saw it. 

The way the button meaning was explained to me was that it was more of a kind of public self shaming of yourself and acknowledgement to having had benefits that blacks didn't have getting to where you are in life......and of course feeling bad/guilty about it. Yes, it's extreme and ridiculous. 

I don't think that acknowledging that white people don't have to deal with racism is "extreme and ridiculous"...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I don't think that acknowledging that white people don't have to deal with racism is "extreme and ridiculous"...

Dude, you can spin it and frame it any way you want to make yourself feel better. In this case, the meaning of this particular button per the folks that are pushing it is what I just described as a public self shaming of yourself for having gotten where you are in life. It's like admitting you've been a cheater progressing in life and now you feel bad about it and want to make amends for it.  It doesn't surprise me at all that you dig this. It's right up your social left wing alley (right, you're a moderate, LOL ?). 

This is where it started:

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/elizabethtown-college-students-wearing-white-pins-remind-them-white-privilege

kat.jpg

31 minutes ago, happycamper said:

The fact that you are differentiating between groups based on their skin color seems racist unto itself.  It seems contradictory to identify a group by its race and then claim that group isn't subject to stereotyping and different treatment based on that same variable.   In the current political climate, people of all skin colors are subject to judgment based on appearance. 

White people may not experience the same consequences as other skin colors, but to say they are completely free of stereotyping based on their skin color is incorrect.  For example, look at the term "redneck" - is that not a pejorative term applied exclusively to a certain group based on their skin color/race?

I'm not saying that racism isn't a problem - I'm just saying that no one is free from having to deal with it.

• Like 2
Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

11 minutes ago, Monty93 said:

The fact that you are differentiating between groups based on their skin color seems racist unto itself.  It seems contradictory to identify a group by its race and then claim that group isn't subject to stereotyping and different treatment based on that same variable.   In the current political climate, people of all skin colors are subject to judgment based on appearance. 

White people may not experience the same consequences as other skin colors, but to say they are completely free of stereotyping based on their skin color is incorrect.  For example, look at the term "redneck" - is that not a pejorative term applied exclusively to a certain group based on their skin color/race?

I'm not saying that racism isn't a problem - I'm just saying that no one is free from having to deal with it.

Think back to the days when you were a kid and how tormented fat kids were, how tormented ugly kids were, etc. And this is common at very young ages when kids are shaping their adult brains. A lot of people have had to deal with a lot of shiit that doesn't have anything to do with race. 

• Like 1

kat.jpg

21 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, you can spin it and frame it any way you want to make yourself feel better. In this case, the meaning of this particular button per the folks that are pushing it is what I just described as a public self shaming of yourself for having gotten where you are in life. It's like admitting you've been a cheater progressing in life and now you feel bad about it and want to make amends for it.  It doesn't surprise me at all that you dig this. It's right up your social left wing alley (right, you're a moderate, LOL ?). 

This is where it started:

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/elizabethtown-college-students-wearing-white-pins-remind-them-white-privilege

Signed, loud and proud right wing, patriot... cause left wingers aren't Americans like I am!

• Like 1

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."