ph90702

Doug Gottlieb Reporting...

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yes, but Boise football is a lot better job than UNR basketball.

This is true, but it's still very possible to have success at Nevada. As Nevadafan stated, 2 of the previous 3 coaches left for P5 jobs. Musselman could definitely build a consistent winner here.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

I could see Cuonzo Martin leaving Cal for Mizzou... there's rumors that he isn't super happy with how things are run at Cal. He's also from the midwest, and got his coaching start at Missouri State, and is familiar with recruiting the area from his time there, and at Tennessee. 

Whether it be basketball or football, Cal simply isn't that great of a job. Too many Sports Should Be Defunded types among the faculty and Occupy the Administration Building types among the student body. Been that way since Dad was a student there in the mid fifties.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah that's a good point about Danyelle, she's worked for some national networks in the past.

She was fired by both ESPN and Fox, so I don't really know where she can go to get her career moving up again.  Her interview with Mike Singletary is still one of my favorites.  

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yes, but Boise football is a lot better job than UNR basketball.

Hard to argue with that based purely on the number of coaches that it has sent to "better" jobs. Plus, Boise is willing to spend money on its football program. It's also the best job in the conference.

1 hour ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I've certainly been wrong before but I don't think this is the year Muss makes a move.

I think it's pretty inevitable.

CAL, Washington, LSU...All potential being open for him as those other coaches are fired or go elsewhere.

Unless Reno plans on forking up over 1.5-2 mill....These P5 schools might be throwing around money to hire first.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

13 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I'm so dumb that I can get 50+ reply threads about speculation by Doug Gottlieb on Twitter.  As @mugtang can attest, I am good at driving board traffic.  Therefore, I can't be a complete idiot.

Yeah, Two Girls and a Cup drove a lot of clicks too...

• Like 4

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Just now, RiverCityBronco said:

Like football, UW has a lot if potential for basketball.  I'm afraid Boise State could end up losing another coach to the Huskies. 

We're called the Cowboys. And we have no need right now...

Thanks for the football props though...

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

Yeah, Two Girls and a Cup drove a lot of clicks too...

Sometimes, things can be brilliant in their simplicity.  Howard Stern is the man, and he's got a show that has fifth grade level sophistication.

Just now, RiverCityBronco said:

Like football, UW has a lot if potential for basketball.  I'm afraid Boise State could end up losing another coach to the Huskies. 

Exactly, Washington is a great job. I know their fans seem to be after Rice, Musselman, and Bennett. 

I know some want them want Romar to get one more year with Porter, and some want them to hire Roy hoping he can retain Porter.

It will be interesting to see what they do (or is Missouri hires him).

13 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

I think it's pretty inevitable.

CAL, Washington, LSU...All potential being open for him as those other coaches are fired or go elsewhere.

Unless Reno plans on forking up over 1.5-2 mill....These P5 schools might be throwing around money to hire first.

Leon Rice might take a look at Washington as well.  He is from the Tri-Cities area,  went to Wazzu, and was an asst. at Gonzaga.  

Just now, ph90702 said:

Sometimes, things can be brilliant in their simplicity.  Howard Stern is the man, and he's got a show that has fifth grade level sophistication.

No one ever lost a buck underestimating the taste of the American public...

And never confuse simplicity with simpleness...

9 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

No one ever lost a buck underestimating the taste of the American public...

And never confuse simplicity with simpleness...

If what Howard Stern does is so easy, then why hasn't anybody else done it?  Why has nobody else been able to get an 8 share in the morning?

Hopefully a restructured contract to pay Muss more base salary on top of the increasing community support he's seeing is enough to keep him at the helm of the Pack. He is going to have a really good roster next year too. The very big negative of being in a one-bid conference is definitely working against us though. Sometimes the grass isn't greener at the other pasture, but I will know it was a business decision and not a personal one if he were to take off to a P5 school.

41 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I'm so dumb that I can get 50+ reply threads about speculation by Doug Gottlieb on Twitter.  As @mugtang can attest, I am good at driving board traffic.  Therefore, I can't be a complete idiot.

please.gif

Muss is projected to make around $1M this year at Nevada and Knuth has said he wants to keep him happy and is willing to restructure the contract to allow a higher base salary as soon as after this season. That could mean around $1.5M with base, incentives, and percentage of attendance as soon as next year.

Sure, there'll be flashier jobs that can offer more money but I've never got the impression that's what drives Coach Muss.