nvspuds

Wichita State

17 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

When Wichita eventually adds football, finding a conference to take them in FBS would just about be impossible. So if we took their basketball only, and then after a few years football wants to move up to FBS, there will be a lot of pressure on us to take them. It would be a strange situation 

IMG_0302.JPG

We can't take basketball only.  We'd have to take every sport they play if we play that sport in conference.  

Who wants to send their volley ball team to play at WS? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

We can't take basketball only.  We'd have to take every sport they play if we play that sport in conference.  

Exactly. Sactowndog hasn't exactly thought this all the way through. No way Wichita's Tournament credits offset the increase in travel costs to the conference.

• Like 1

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

12 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Exactly. Sactowndog hasn't exactly thought this all the way through. No way Wichita's Tournament credits offset the increase in travel costs to the conference.

Even if WS was in the MW today, we would still be a one bid league. 

We need to get better from within. We need to hire better coaches and AD's. 

• Like 1

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

UConn has been looking for a way out for years problem is their football team, and there was a rumor that UConn had some sort of deal with MWC to play their football team temporarily in MWC when they moved out of the conference.   However as you know everything comes down to money in college now and getting out of American Athletic and into another conference will get them more money.

every team in the AAC is looking for a way out...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Actually everyone.  Wichita State has a highly ranked volleyball team that would improve the RPI of the conference most years.

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Actually I know a hell of a lot more about minor sports travel costs then most of you with kids that played college volleyball and Water Polo.  

Reduced costs comes via busing and teams bus even, in the Midwest, most of the time wherever possible.   Your fall and spring sports bus everywhere for non P5 schools.   The MWC costs are higher because many teams cannot possibly bus for trips.  Increasing games within busing distance where plane tickets aren't required dramatically reduces costs.

34 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Actually everyone.  Wichita State has a highly ranked volleyball team that would improve the RPI of the conference most years.

It's still a non-revenue sport for damn near everyone and the travel expenses for all non-revenue sports makes adding  WS cost prohibitive. 

Barack Obama

45 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Actually I know a hell of a lot more about minor sports travel costs then most of you with kids that played college volleyball and Water Polo.  

Reduced costs comes via busing and teams bus even, in the Midwest, most of the time wherever possible.   Your fall and spring sports bus everywhere for non P5 schools.   The MWC costs are higher because many teams cannot possibly bus for trips.  Increasing games within busing distance where plane tickets aren't required dramatically reduces costs.

Wichita is not bussing distance to most of the MWC.

27 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Wichita is not bussing distance to most of the MWC.

It absolutely is bussing distance for most of the east.  As you expand the league the divisions play home and home in division and split or less the other division

Laramie to Wichita is about the same as Davis to UCSD and I can guarantee they aren't flying.

Too far for BYU and Utah State but they make up for it with fewer games to the west which absolutely must fly. 

56 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's still a non-revenue sport for damn near everyone and the travel expenses for all non-revenue sports makes adding  WS cost prohibitive. 

It reduces costs for non revenue sports. Currently they are high because you have to fly to almost every west coast team.   

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

That's it in a nutshell. We're already spread out enough.  It's better than the WAC was with LA Tech, but still an expensive league.  WS is just too far and they would be looking to leave for the AAC as soon as the chance to move presented itself. 

Barack Obama

16 hours ago, sebasour said:

They've made 8 bowl games since your last one. Settle down, you can make arguments that SJSU shouldn't have been invited but it's very hard to argue that they shouldn't have been invited in place of NMSU.

I don't find it very hard at all. (Although my opinion would be biased, because I do root for NMSU.) Just because they've (SJSU) made a couple of bowl games doesn't exactly make them a better choice over NMSU and I understand that football drives the bus or whatever but in my opinion a couple of bowl games doesn't really mean squat. I think both are footbal programs are about equal and that's with us being at a clear disadvantage. We however owned the WAC in MBB while most of your current MW programs where there. In the last decade alone we can argue we've made it to the NCAAs in many sports. Sports that include MBB, WBB, Baseball, Volleyball etc. You picked the number #8 best team in the state of California over the best team in New Mexico. I'm sure all of your fans will care that your team is playing SJSU over NMSU in football because they are so much better than us. I bet they wouldn't know the difference honestly. Atleast we bring fun and exciting matchup's in MBB. This year would have been cool to see NMSU vs UNR. I think at one point our RPI was in the 40s. Here are some old matchup's that I miss.

"Guns Up, Now Tear'em Up!"We Are New Mexico State University! #PROTECTTHEVALLEY

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

It absolutely is bussing distance for most of the east.  As you expand the league the divisions play home and home in division and split or less the other division

Laramie to Wichita is about the same as Davis to UCSD and I can guarantee they aren't flying.

Too far for BYU and Utah State but they make up for it with fewer games to the west which absolutely must fly. 

Laramie to Wichita from December to March might as well be Laramie to Seattle. Weather is why we fly. There is no way in Hell we are busing teams to Wichita that time of year. Same with CSEwe, AFA, and UNM.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Laramie to Wichita from December to March might as well be Laramie to Seattle. Weather is why we fly. There is no way in Hell we are busing teams to Wichita that time of year. Same with CSEwe, AFA, and UNM.

Just looked it up.  It is a 9 hour drive from Laramie to Wichita. 

I'm not sure why some on here are acting like adding Wichita State is a slam dunk addition for Wyoming.  I think they think that Wyoming and Kansas have close ties, or something.  But then again, some in this Conference think that USU, BYU and Utah are "Front Range" schools. 

51 minutes ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

We however owned the WAC in MBB while most of your current MW programs where there.

Uhm no. When all three programs were in the WAC (7 seasons), NMSU had a better record than USU twice and same record once. They had a better record than Nevada once and the same record twice. USU and Nevada both had four seasons in which they finished with a better record than NMSU. Each finished with the best record four times compared to one time by NMSU. NMSU definitely did not OWN the WAC. 

I imagine NMSU outperformed BSU, FSU, and SJSU during that time, but to own a conference, a team must consistently outperform all teams and Nevada and USU performed better than NMSU most of the time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

San Joser isn't really much better than us in football anyways. With that logic it's like saying a wrinkly dollar bill is worth less than a straight one? SJSU is equivalent to NMSU in football and if anything both are improving. To me it would have made more sense to add NMSU because we bring more to the table than them. For instance how much is San Joser football helping your conference anyways? NMSU could easily play that roll because since joining they really haven't accomplished anything better than us. Besides a lowly  attended bowl game. Also we would have helped a lot in MBB this year and would have also loved to have seen some of those matchup's. The old Nevada/NMSU games were really entertaining. Also to mention USU/NMSU, UNLV/NMSU games. I'm sure playing in the Pan Am is much better than playing @SJ no offense to them. I feel like that alone is why we bring more to the table. Don't you think?look at the old WAC days for instance that was fun conference to watch. Much more entertaining. That's what gets you the eyeballs. Anyways, Are y'all really that confident that the country is dieing to see you play San Joser instead of NMSU in football? To over see what we do offer. Make sense because of the market but y'all also have to take into consideration the product. Quality over quantity in my opinion. 

For a New Mexico state fan to talk about quality is amazing  your football is as bad as it gets, and has been that way for 50 years, no bowl game since 1960 is amazing.

I will give that NMS plays good basketball, but there is a reason that you have been kicked to the curb by the Sun Belt in fact you could not even buy your way to stay in that conference. I would bet if your football was at the top of the SBC you would still be a member. If your school played good football went to bowl games and was at the top of the SBC , and we had a school leave I could see NMS being a member, but not as things are now

I feel bad that NMS is in a bad spot, but you have got into this problem because of constant poor football. News about USU and NMS could be coming soon.

Just swallow your damn pride already and invite Gonzaga, BYU, and Wichita State for Olympics. Splitting scheduling into two divisions alleviates the travel situation. It makes us a great basketball conference and gives us some national respectability. Home and home against your division, and only 3 games crossing divisions for travel. Travel is not a reason to turn away WSU.

WEST

1. Boise State
  2. Gonzaga
  3. Nevada
  4. SJSU
  5. Fresno State
  6. UNLV
  7. SDSU

MOUNTAIN

1. BYU
  2. Utah State
  3. Wyoming
  4. CSU
  5. Air Force
  6. UNM
  7. Wichita State

9 minutes ago, southfresno said:

Just swallow your damn pride already and invite Gonzaga, BYU, and Wichita State for Olympics. Splitting scheduling into two divisions alleviates the travel situation. It makes us a great basketball conference and gives us some national respectability. Home and home against your division, and only 3 games crossing divisions for travel. Travel is not a reason to turn away WSU.

WEST

1. Boise State
  2. Gonzaga
  3. Nevada
  4. SJSU
  5. Fresno State
  6. UNLV
  7. SDSU

MOUNTAIN

1. BYU
  2. Utah State
  3. Wyoming
  4. CSU
  5. Air Force
  6. UNM
  7. Wichita State

Should we invite St Mary's too?

Gonzaga has no reason to join the MW.  Adding BYU for Oly sports does little to nothing for the MW. 

Barack Obama

17 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Apparently you know very little about travel conditions through Idaho, Northern Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas during basketball season. No way in Hell we bus the team to Wichita, Spokane, or NorCal from December until March.

Long and short of it is this- the MWC is a football-first conference; St. Mary's and Gonzaga aren't the least bit interested in changing conferences, and no one wants BYU* back.

Give it up...

What you said. Not trying to get into a urination match by saying this but sactowndog's figures actually argue for you guys on the front range to join with Wichita State to help expand the AAC to 16 by creating an 8-member western division.

Boom goes the dynamite.