nvspuds

Wichita State

23 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

you would assume wrong...according to the NY Times Koch's major WSU giving started 17 years ago in 2000.

since that time Mark Turgeon and Gregg Marshall have taken WSU 385-179 featuring a Final Four, two Sweet 16s, and an NIT championship.

plus the 25 million dollar renovation of Koch Arena.

and what does does dropping football in the 80s have to do with joining the AAC in 2017?

Great get for the AAC.  The geography works for WSU & AAC better than the MW.  

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Only if you structure them with a full football TV share.  But Hair is too dumb to figure that out.   Not to mention the value of the NCAA credits they would bring.  

Instead of us doing St. Mary's, Gonzaga, BYU and Wichita when we had a chance.  Instead we will continue as a 1-2 bid league for as long as Hair is this conferences commisioner.  

"(Football) drives the boat, Chief." -Quint (Robert Shaw) Jaws

I think the cost of travel for basketball and any other Olympic sports would be a definite drain.

And f--k BYU*...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

22 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Wichita is the largest city in Kansas they have done a $25 million upgrade of their very nice arena, the have Koch Bros money, they have two final fours, four elite eights. They applied to the conference for membership, but got rejected which imho was a error. I think they would raise the profile of the MWC.

How is their football team?

37 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

San Jose plays much better football than what New Mexico state does, last bowl game was what 1960.

San Joser isn't really much better than us in football anyways. With that logic it's like saying a wrinkly dollar bill is worth less than a straight one? SJSU is equivalent to NMSU in football and if anything both are improving. To me it would have made more sense to add NMSU because we bring more to the table than them. For instance how much is San Joser football helping your conference anyways? NMSU could easily play that roll because since joining they really haven't accomplished anything better than us. Besides a lowly  attended bowl game. Also we would have helped a lot in MBB this year and would have also loved to have seen some of those matchup's. The old Nevada/NMSU games were really entertaining. Also to mention USU/NMSU, UNLV/NMSU games. I'm sure playing in the Pan Am is much better than playing @SJ no offense to them. I feel like that alone is why we bring more to the table. Don't you think?look at the old WAC days for instance that was fun conference to watch. Much more entertaining. That's what gets you the eyeballs. Anyways, Are y'all really that confident that the country is dieing to see you play San Joser instead of NMSU in football? To over see what we do offer. Make sense because of the market but y'all also have to take into consideration the product. Quality over quantity in my opinion. 

"Guns Up, Now Tear'em Up!"We Are New Mexico State University! #PROTECTTHEVALLEY

53 minutes ago, Castle Ram said:

SJSU can get all kinds of talent locally.  NMSU has no chance 

You have a point about them have the opportunity to pick up some good local talent. However, I'm not sure that they have really shown that they regularly do. Just my opinion though.

"Guns Up, Now Tear'em Up!"We Are New Mexico State University! #PROTECTTHEVALLEY

33 minutes ago, NewMexicoSt. said:

San Joser isn't really much better than us in football anyways. With that logic it's like saying a wrinkly dollar bill is worth less than a straight one? SJSU is equivalent to NMSU in football and if anything both are improving. To me it would have made more sense to add NMSU because we bring more to the table than them. For instance how much is San Joser football helping your conference anyways? NMSU could easily play that roll because since joining they really haven't accomplished anything better than us. Besides a lowly  attended bowl game.

They've made 8 bowl games since your last one. Settle down, you can make arguments that SJSU shouldn't have been invited but it's very hard to argue that they shouldn't have been invited in place of NMSU.

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

"(Football) drives the boat, Chief." -Quint (Robert Shaw) Jaws

I think the cost of travel for basketball and any other Olympic sports would be a definite drain.

And f--k BYU*...

Structured correctly travel costs would be less.   The key to lower travel costs is can you bus to the game.

if you did seven both ways from Laramie driving distances are:

Ft Collins: 1 hour 

Logan: 6 hour

SLC:  6 hour 

C Springs: 3 hour 

Alb: 8.5 hour

Wichita:  9 hour  

from Albuquerque 

Wichita: 9.5 

Logan: 11

SLC: 10

C Springs: 5.5 

not to mention busable travel pairs: 

Laramie / Fort Collins 1 hour 

Fort Collins / Wichita  7 hour 

SLC / Logan  1 hour   

Compare distances to west teams   

Laramie to 

Boise 10 hours 

Reno 13.5

now let's look west travel distances:  

Reno to 

Boise: 6.5 

Moraga: 3 hours 

Spokane: 12 hours

Fresno: 4.5 

by playing more in division games and less out of division games a 14 team league with Wichita, St Mary's and Gonzaga dramatically reduces costs.   

9 minutes ago, sebasour said:

When Wichita State approached the MWC, was it for basketball only membership? Or did they want to start a football team and bring it here? Those are 2 very different things

Who needs a lowly football team.  Ideally we want two things.  Basketball credits and lower travel costs.  Adding St Mary's, Gonzaga, BYU and Wichita brings all those.  

The way to improve the league financials is to in all sports but football maximize NCAA tourney credits and bus trips.  Splitting into an east/west league does that.   

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Who needs a lowly football team.  Ideally we want two things.  Basketball credits and lower travel costs.  Adding St Mary's, Gonzaga, BYU and Wichita brings all those.  

THat'd be great, but I'm just trying to understand the history here. Somebody earlier in the thread said WSU approached us and we said no, but did we say no to football? Or basketball? Because if they said they want their football team in or we get nothing, then I'd tell them to f**k off too. However if they were cool with just bringing olympic sports then it was stupid to say no

2 minutes ago, sebasour said:

THat'd be great, but I'm just trying to understand the history here. Somebody earlier in the thread said WSU approached us and we said no, but did we say no to football? Or basketball? Because if they said they want their football team in or we get nothing, then I'd tell them to f**k off too. However if they were cool with just bringing olympic sports then it was stupid to say no

My understanding it was the latter.  They were thinking of football just to get it.  Stupid on our part.  But with hair.... no surprise.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Structured correctly travel costs would be less.   The key to lower travel costs is can you bus to the game.

if you did seven both ways from Laramie driving distances are:

Ft Collins: 1 hour 

Logan: 6 hour

SLC:  6 hour 

C Springs: 3 hour 

Alb: 8.5 hour

Wichita:  9 hour  

from Albuquerque 

Wichita: 9.5 

Logan: 11

SLC: 10

C Springs: 5.5 

not to mention busable travel pairs: 

Laramie / Fort Collins 1 hour 

Fort Collins / Wichita  7 hour 

SLC / Logan  1 hour   

Compare distances to west teams   

Laramie to 

Boise 10 hours 

Reno 13.5

now let's look west travel distances:  

Reno to 

Boise: 6.5 

Moraga: 3 hours 

Spokane: 12 hours

Fresno: 4.5 

by playing more in division games and less out of division games a 14 team league with Wichita, St Mary's and Gonzaga dramatically reduces costs.   

Apparently you know very little about travel conditions through Idaho, Northern Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas during basketball season. No way in Hell we bus the team to Wichita, Spokane, or NorCal from December until March.

Long and short of it is this- the MWC is a football-first conference; St. Mary's and Gonzaga aren't the least bit interested in changing conferences, and no one wants BYU* back.

Give it up...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Only if you structure them with a full football TV share.  But Hair is too dumb to figure that out.   Not to mention the value of the NCAA credits they would bring.  

Instead of us doing St. Mary's, Gonzaga, BYU and Wichita when we had a chance.  Instead we will continue as a 1-2 bid league for as long as Hair is this conferences commisioner.  

Gonzaga and St. Mary's to the MWC? I don't remember hearing about that. They certainly don't have interest now. 

I liked the move not to take BYU on principle and policy. A school bails on you in FB and then wants the you to save their Olympic sports? No way. And schools that want in now and in the past have had to have FB and basketball. If a current member wanted to move FB or BB, they would get the same treatment as BYU. Hawaii has been an exception because of the distance. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Why? We only have 11 hoops teams and adding a good hoops team SHOULD make UConn want to stay.

UConn has been looking for a way out for years problem is their football team, and there was a rumor that UConn had some sort of deal with MWC to play their football team temporarily in MWC when they moved out of the conference.   However as you know everything comes down to money in college now and getting out of American Athletic and into another conference will get them more money.

When Wichita eventually adds football, finding a conference to take them in FBS would just about be impossible. So if we took their basketball only, and then after a few years football wants to move up to FBS, there will be a lot of pressure on us to take them. It would be a strange situation 

IMG_0302.JPG

• Like 1

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, sebasour said:

When Wichita State approached the MWC, was it for basketball only membership? Or did they want to start a football team and bring it here? Those are 2 very different things

According to CBS Sports it was going to be for all sports because they were interested in starting up their football program again, however according to CBS the study they were doing on football appears to be going nowhere.