halfmanhalfbronco

1 in 5 Brits can not name a single author.

2 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

To me that's about like saying you can't name a single actor from TV or the movies. Kind of mind blowing.

It would be fun to see the age distribution of those who couldn't name one.  I suppose that millennials would be pretty high up.  Hard to name an author when you don't read books.

Just now, nomascows said:

It would be fun to see the age distribution of those who couldn't name one.  I suppose that millennials would be pretty high up.  Hard to name an author when you don't read books.

Yeah, but everyone knows about Shakespeare. Hell you just just name a random President and they have probably written a book. But you are probably right about the millennials.

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

If it's 20 percent there, I'm guessing 1/10?

I think that is probably pretty optimistic. 20 percent seems about right, though I wouldn't be shocked if it is worse than that.

1 hour ago, BroncoOrange said:

To me that's about like saying you can't name a single actor from TV or the movies. Kind of mind blowing.

I don't think it's the same at all. One is ephemeral for the most part. The other endures.

• Like 2

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I think that is probably pretty optimistic. 20 percent seems about right, though I wouldn't be shocked if it is worse than that.

True. To your point, you'd think J.K. Rowling would be seared in their brains, but that is a pen name so maybe it doesn't count? :) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I don't think it's the same at all. One is ephemeral for the most part. The other endures.

My point was that it should be just as easy naming an author as an actor. Evidently 1 in 5 Brits are completely uneducated. I certainly wasn't claiming the value was the same.

1 hour ago, BroncoOrange said:

My point was that it should be just as easy naming an author as an actor. Evidently 1 in 5 Brits are completely uneducated. I certainly wasn't claiming the value was the same.

And I would like to see comparable data from the US. Having lived in the UK for a few years I would venture they are at least as literate as are we, if not more so.

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say