slappy

OT -- The most over rated hoops player of all time

Not a big fan of Cousins, but I would think that Vince Carter is the most overrated player of all time. He was great for dunking contests, and could put up points. Although he accomplished next to nothing. He was another ' next Jordan" types when he got drafted.

2 hours ago, aztech said:

You gotta wonder how he's going to affect their superstar Anthony Davis.  They're similar payers, but Cousins has a bigger ego.

Great point. Cousins is reportedly a clubhouse cancer. Sometimes trades are win-win. Seems to me this one is loss-loss.

Boom goes the dynamite.

24 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Michael Jordan is easily the most overrated basketball player of all time.  This is no contest as you will all prove responding to this post.

Come on.  If you don't have facts to back that up, no one will agree with you.  Lets hear it??

31 minutes ago, slappy said:

Come on.  If you don't have facts to back that up, no one will agree with you.  Lets hear it??

No one will agree with me anyway but that doesn't make it not true.

Kareem Was easily the best player of all time.  Could not be stopped from shooting a career 58% from the field even in his 40's.  If you fouled him he shot 70+% from the free throw line.  Best all time defender at center, the first real big man who changed the game of basketball on both the offensive and defensive ends.

They changed the rules of college basketball to try to slow him down.  He still won every championship and his freshman team beat the varsity team at UCLA.  He wasn't the best player if college basketball for 1 game 1 year.  He was the best player in college basketball from beginning to end.

Then his pro career is even more impressive.  At the age of 41 he was beating the pistons and Celtics when all Jordan could do was flame out in the first round of the playoffs.

Not only did Kareem have more points, Blocks, and rebounds then Michael Jordan he had more assists in total and in playoffs.

We could go through another dozen players at least that are better then Michael Jordan.  It isn't even arguable that Bird and Thomas aren't better as they defeated Jordan easily in the playoffs every year they were healthy.  Thomas scored a boatload of points on Jordan on one leg to beat him in a playoff series.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

No one will agree with me anyway but that doesn't make it not true.

Kareem Was easily the best player of all time.  Could not be stopped from shooting a career 58% from the field even in his 40's.  If you fouled him he shot 70+% from the free throw line.  Best all time defender at center, the first real big man who changed the game of basketball on both the offensive and defensive ends.

They changed the rules of college basketball to try to slow him down.  He still won every championship and his freshman team beat the varsity team at UCLA.  He wasn't the best player if college basketball for 1 game 1 year.  He was the best player in college basketball from beginning to end.

Then his pro career is even more impressive.  At the age of 41 he was beating the pistons and Celtics when all Jordan could do was flame out in the first round of the playoffs.

Not only did Kareem have more points, Blocks, and rebounds then Michael Jordan he had more assists in total and in playoffs.

We could go through another dozen players at least that are better then Michael Jordan.  It isn't even arguable that Bird and Thomas aren't better as they defeated Jordan easily in the playoffs every year they were healthy.  Thomas scored a boatload of points on Jordan on one leg to beat him in a playoff series.

Yeah but you still have Mike in your top 5 or so.  So I don't see how he is the most over rated.  Cousins on the other hand, is considered ( by some folks ) to be a top 2 big in the game right now and he can't make a playoff series.  He will blow up this team and hit free agency in 1.5 years. At that point he will have about 9+ years of not making the playoffs and leaving each team he played for in complete chaos.  He might even be voted as an All Start again.  Funny

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Yeah but you still have Mike in your top 5 or so.  So I don't see how he is the most over rated.  Cousins on the other hand, is considered ( by some folks ) to be a top 2 big in the game right now and he can't make a playoff series.  He will blow up this team and hit free agency in 1.5 years. At that point he will have about 9+ years of not making the playoffs and leaving each team he played for in complete chaos.  He might even be voted as an All Start again.  Funny

I wouldn't put mike in the top 10 and I think a good case could be made he isn't in the top 20.

Winning some championships in the weakest era of NBA basketball which stopped the minute Shaq showed up in his division is not that impressive.

If Michael Jordans Bulls had played during the same time span has Kareem he would have never won a single championship and probably never even went to a finals.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I wouldn't put mike in the top 10 and I think a good case could be made he isn't in the top 20.

Winning some championships in the weakest era of NBA basketball which stopped the minute Shaq showed up in his division is not that impressive.

If Michael Jordans Bulls had played during the same time span has Kareem he would have never won a single championship and probably never even went to a finals.

Geez you are hard on him.  Did you shoot free throws granny style?  Just curious?  

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree with you. i've always felt that way. Kareem was an animal. I've always felt like I would have rather had Magic than Jordan too, though Jordan was an animal in his own right. 

Jordan was the best scoring guard ever and a good defender.   That just isn't all that valuable.  George Gervin and Jerry West were also the best scoring guards ever.

Kareem, Moses Malone, Magic, Bird, McHale, Shaq, Chamberlain, Russell, Oscar Robertson, Shaq, Lebron James all change the game for any team they faced.  No one could stop those guys.

Jordan is second tier with guys like Gervin, Kobe, Iverson, Dr. J, Barkley, Drexler, Wade, Jerry West, Isiah Thomas, Stockton, Malone, Curry, Bob Cousy, Baylor ect...

I am not even convinced Jordan was the best player on his team.  Pippen was a much better defender, rebounder and distributor and only his willingness to share allowed Jordan the limelight on the offensive end..

• Like 1

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Kemp had the ability to be in that top tier but he probably is more qualified for the 2nd one. Same with GP. 

Yeah there are a lot of guys like Kemp who just weren't quite there.  I don't think Kemp was smart enough.  Another guy was Wilkins, he was an absolute freak with far more athletic ability then Jordan but just not able to get his team through the playoffs.

Those guys like Kareem i put in the top tier were unstoppable.  Russel. and his defense was always there.  Moses Malone got every possible rebound.  Chamberlain was so dominant they changed rules to control him.   McHale and Shaq on the block were unstoppable.   Magic and Lebron can play and defend every position on the court at a high level.

Jordan won nothing until Pippen showed up.  Why Jordan gets so much credit is crazy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Kemp had the ability to be in that top tier but he probably is more qualified for the 2nd one. Same with GP. 

GP i think got everything out of his ability.  He was a stud, I think you replace Jordan with GP and that Bulls team still wins all those championships.   I just think Pippen would have had a higher scoring average.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

GP i think got everything out of his ability.  He was a stud, I think you replace Jordan with GP and that Bulls team still wins all those championships.   I just think Pippen would have had a higher scoring average.

Gotta call bs here.  You can't swap gp for Jordan and get those rings.  Getting a little crazy now.  Still have to score the basketball. 

12 minutes ago, slappy said:

Gotta call bs here.  You can't swap gp for Jordan and get those rings.  Getting a little crazy now.  Still have to score the basketball.   Pippen was a bad call from winning a ring without Jordan and with the Warriors coach as a replacement..

During the prime of GP's Career he was a 21+ PPG scorer and an 8+ assist guy.

Jordan during the prime of his career when he wasn't winning championships he was a 30+ PPG score and 4 assist guy.

Not all that much difference.

Jordan was the definition of a black hole at the guard position.   With GP you make Pippen and the rest of the Bulls into much better players.

• Like 1

Cuz needs to go to the Rockets after this year. Harden would be MVP with a big who has that ability to pass out of a double team. And D'Antoni? 

I enjoyed watching him as a Kings fan, but this is better than what I expected out of this year - an 8 seed sweep with Cousins posting 40/20, only to be signed for max money and traded for Kenny Thomas.

And the answer to the OP is Kobe Bryant.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

The Kings FO is all-time terrible. Trading picks for Jimmer fcking Fredette, getting rid of Isaiah Thomas and Whiteside, and then trading Cousins for Ben McLemore 2.0 in Hield and assorted garbage. What a comedy of errors 

Cousins and AD will work well together. Cousins can stretch the floor on offense and AD will back him up on defense. Now NO just needs competent 3+D guys at the SF and SG positions 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

As for the other conversation in here 

Wilt>Jordan. You can make a strong argument for Kareem >Jordan. Magic vs Jordan is debatable. No matter what though he's in the top 3 or 4. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

12 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

At the age of 41, Kareem was a role player.  5th leading scorer.  He was among the best of all time, but let's at least be honest.  Comparing a guard's blocks and rebounds to a center is pretty funny, though.

But then you said a dozen players better than Jordan. So I know you're really not interested in being honest.  And your comments about Thomas are just hilarious.  In neither Det/Chic series that the Pistons won (88 and 89) did Thomas score a 'boatload' (20 ppg is a pretty small boat).  The 'one leg' story was in the finals against Magic and the Lakers, and they lost that series because Thomas couldnt answer the bell for the deciding game.

I get it, though.  This is internet schtick.  

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.