thelawlorfaithful

The Dyatlov Pass Incident

I think this is one of the more interesting rabbit holes I have come across. One can obviously not be certain, but a natural phenomenon like wind or an avalanche does not seem probable.

I suspect there was some sort of cover up involved. I think the mysterious lights spotted by others point to some sort of top secret testing in the area.  Whether the group actually saw something they were not meant to see or not, someone in the Soviet government and/or military learned they were heading to the area and was suspicious they had or would probably see something by being in the area and had them eliminated. Some of the group possibly resisted leading to the traumatic injuries while the rest were forced out into the cold night without any gear that would allow them to survive, the perpetrators knowing that they would die from hypothermia. This lead to at least some staging of things at the camp by the perpetrators to obscure what had happened. That is my best guess. 

Thanks for putting this together. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I want to know what you think happened?  You shot down all the conspiracies.  So what did happen?

Ok. So the searchers described the trail of footprints as "orderly, not panicked," but occasionally a set of prints would veer off away from the trail only to find their way back a little ways on. This indicates to me that visibility was awful. It was pitch black, the moon would not rise until 4 am, high winds were swirling up snow and making it difficult to hear voices more than a few feet away. It could possibly have been foggy and snowing. While they all took the same route down the hill, I believe they weren't all together. There were at least 2 groups, maybe 3 with a possibility for individual stragglers, and the rest followed the lead group's trail into the trees.

The first group had between 4 and 7 people. This group went deeper into forest than the cedar tree. At least 3, probably 4, and maybe all 7; came unexpectedly to the edge of 20 ft ravine and fell, landing hard on the rocks below. Kolya's head was dashed, while Sasha and Lyuda suffered catastrophic rib injuries. Lyuda also bit her tongue and the blood was swallowed into her stomach. Kolovetov avoided serious injury, either by stopping short of the drop off or having his fall broken by his fellow hikers. Whatever the case, at this point Kolovetov went into straight up hero mode. Every action he took for the rest of his life was done with total disregard for self-preservation in an attempt to save the lives of his now helpless friends.

The next group into the forest were the two found underneath the cedar tree. Even taking into account the clothes removed from their bodies, Georgy and Doroshenko were the most poorly dressed. I believe they were the first to feel the effects of hypothermia. They luckily had matches and found the cedar tree, which has drier wood than the pines that dominated the forest. One or both climbed the tree. Whether they were hiding from something, trying to glimpse the tent, or just gathering wood I can't say. But a branch broke and Doroshenko fell, resulting in his injuries and the pine needles in his hair. The two gathered what they could to make a fire in a desperate attempt to keep warm. That they didn't set the tree on fire tells me they were alone, as this surely would have occurred to someone had the group been all together. Hypothermia clouded their judgement, and sudden exposure to heat put them in a state of rewarming shock. They lost consciousness and died, falling close to the fire which resulted in their burned clothes. This is why there was unused gathered wood for the fire.

The whereabouts of Dyatlov, Zina, and Rustik at this time is less clear. It's possible they were among the first group, though I think it's unlikely. It's possible that these three were the last into the forest, they may even have come down the slope individually. Dyatlov's flashlight was found in the on position on top of the tent. It's possible he left it there from the start to help guide the group back when and if they returned. This cool headed action would only make the group's leaving the tent more inexplicable. It's even possible Dyatlov made it all the way back to the tent from the forest, returned with matches only to find everybody dead, and died on his second attempt to reach the tent. This is very unlikely, though. He didn't put his shoes on.

What is certain is Kolevatov, and possibly the others, found his way to the cedar tree. Perhaps the light of the dying fire drew them. There they found Georgy and Doroshenko dead or near death. My guess is it was decided that Zina would make an effort to return to the tent. She was the best dressed of those still standing. Dyatlov might have even given her extra socks, which would explain his mismatched pair and her excess of socks. Visibility must have improved to the point that the tent was now visible, or whatever they might have run from was no longer at the tent, because Zina made a bee line in its directions. 

Perhaps the others were trying in vain to rekindle the fire while discussing what to do next. The fire would not catch, so Rustik set off after Zina to fetch supplies as well. Along the way he fell and hit his head. This dazed him badly and he fell again, and again, eventually cracking his skull. He laid down and lost consciousness.

Dyatlov and Kolevatov debated their options. They decided Dyatlov too would make an attempt to reach camp. He took the coat from Doroshenko's dead body and set off. Dyatlov did not make it as far as Rustik, and died clutching a birch tree in an attempt to keep from lying down.

Kolevatov cut as many articles of clothing from the two beneath the cedar tree as his frozen fingers could manage, put on a pair of burnt socks, and returned to where his injured friends lay. There he wrapped Lyuda's frozen feet. He found a place out of the wind and set about makig a shelter, cutting branches for a makeshift insulated floor. He then attempted the arduous task of dragging his friends out of the ravine into the den. It became clear that Kolya and Lyuda were too far gone, and Sasha near death. He lay next to Sasha to wait for rescue by those returning with supplies from the tent, embracing him in a vain attempt to warm each other. There they died.

Zina made it the farthest up the hill. But her frozen feet and dropping body temperature failed her. She fell, lost consciousness, and died.

Without reaching too far, I think the injuries can all be explained by falls. But I don't know how to get them out of the tent.

• Like 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, AG Blue said:

But why do they leave the tent? That seems to be biggest mystery in this story. 

I don't know. Infrasound seems like a good explanation. But the evidence we have on its effects in humans is limited. Even when it's been weaponized for crowd control, the reported effects are akin to seasickness. If the choice is seasickness or death by Siberian winter, I don't see it as much of a choice. Maybe the purported infrasound was way more intense and lasted a longer duration?:shrug:

If it's armed men, they did an amazing job concealing their tracks in and out of the mountains. Helicopter perhaps?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

My compliments to you all.  I just visited this forum for the first time today.  I thought it was some game which isn't my thing so, I stayed away.  If it's ok with you I would like to throw my two cents into this.

The tent thing bugs me.  I saw an episode of Unexplained Files and they spoke of some of the cuts in the tent as if they were trying to look outside.  From personal experience in camping in subzero snow environments if and when I would have heard noise outside my first reaction would be to put my boots on and investigate.  Like the first time camping in subzero conditions near a frozen lake and then awakened to the sound of the lake screaming as it cracks as the freezing ice expands.  Scared me to be honest as I never heard that before.  But, the first reaction was to put my boots on.  The other thing was and is so important is go to sleep knowing exactly where those boots are if and when I needed to put them on.  They would never be commingled with everybody else's boots.

A friend of mine was also camping at a lake at about a 10,000 ft elevation when a black bear came into the campground and started  tearing the campground apart.  His first reaction was to put his boots on as he awoke in his tent.  

We are a sum of our experiences and sometimes you try to relate to cases such as happened in the Dyatlov Pass.  I could be full of crap but, these people did not have the opportunity to put their boots on.  They had time to cut view holes in the tent but, didn't have time to grab their boots.  That doesn't add up for me.  Something or someone either prevented them from getting into their boots or they were ordered to remove them.

Anyway,  my compliments on the good work on this.  I will be checking back more frequently now that I know what this was all about.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

My compliments to you all.  I just visited this forum for the first time today.  I thought it was some game which isn't my thing so, I stayed away.  If it's ok with you I would like to throw my two cents into this.

The tent thing bugs me.  I saw an episode of Unexplained Files and they spoke of some of the cuts in the tent as if they were trying to look outside.  From personal experience in camping in subzero snow environments if and when I would have heard noise outside my first reaction would be to put my boots on and investigate.  Like the first time camping in subzero conditions near a frozen lake and then awakened to the sound of the lake screaming as it cracks as the freezing ice expands.  Scared me to be honest as I never heard that before.  But, the first reaction was to put my boots on.  The other thing was and is so important is go to sleep knowing exactly where those boots are if and when I needed to put them on.  They would never be commingled with everybody else's boots.

A friend of mine was also camping at a lake at about a 10,000 ft elevation when a black bear came into the campground and started  tearing the campground apart.  His first reaction was to put his boots on as he awoke in his tent.  

We are a sum of our experiences and sometimes you try to relate to cases such as happened in the Dyatlov Pass.  I could be full of crap but, these people did not have the opportunity to put their boots on.  They had time to cut view holes in the tent but, didn't have time to grab their boots.  That doesn't add up for me.  Something or someone either prevented them from getting into their boots or they were ordered to remove them.

Anyway,  my compliments on the good work on this.  I will be checking back more frequently now that I know what this was all about.

Awesome post. I had never thought about the smaller cuts being used for viewing.

2 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Dammit, my hair won't stop standing up on my head.

Great point on their shoes.  Even if it was a bear, they'd have their shoes on if they went outside the tent.  

They were murdered by someone, or at least some of them were and the rest died of exposure.  Maybe someone in the group, maybe someone else.  There are weird some freaking people in the mountains.

• Like 1

I still think it's possible the injuries are due to falls even if they were sent down the mountain without shoes. Whoever might have did it just expected them to die of exposure. This could be why they started a small fire instead of setting the whole tree on fire, to not draw their killers down the hill. It might explain the flashlight on top of the tent. The killers put it there when they left to dissuade the group from returning to the safety of shelter for fearing they were still there.

Holy smokes. I think I am back in the someone made them leave camp.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:26 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Ugh, not sure why I typed Patterson, meant to say Meldrum.

If you weren't planning on it already, I think you should cover Bigfoot more broadly than just the Patterson/Gimlin film.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I am planning on doing so.

So what do you think about Dyatlov pass? You've been silent so far. Did I leave anything out I should have covered?

Links for further exploration

Dead Mountain by Donnie Eichar - Eichar traveled to Russia multiple times and interviewed family members and even Yuri Yudin before he passed away. It's a good book, but Eichar doesn't give credence to conspiracies and barely touches upon them. He introduced the infrasound theory.

Wikipedia article on the incident.

Excellent site contains theories, pictures, autopsy reports.

Astonishing Legends 2 part series. Of all the paranormal podcasts, these guys are the best researched.

The Last Podcast on the Left (link NSFW, corpse photo). A comedy podcast that covers serial killers, Aliens, weird stuff etc... This is one of their lesser efforts regarding research. 

4 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So what do you think about Dyatlov pass? You've been silent so far. Did I leave anything out I should have covered?

You did a fine job with it  better than I would have.  Very, very well done.  You left enough room for mystery and provided good counter postulations.  The only thing I would have done different, though it would have added little intellectual value, would have been the inclusion of superstitions of the Mansi people regarding an "evil force" in the area.

54 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You did a fine job with it  better than I would have.  Very, very well done.  You left enough room for mystery and provided good counter postulations.  The only thing I would have done different, though it would have added little intellectual value, would have been the inclusion of superstitions of the Mansi people regarding an "evil force" in the area.

I probably should have, print the legend and all. But according to Eichar it isn't like that.

Beyond the Holatchahl summit was the peak of Otorten Mountain, the hikers’ ultimate destination, which some said translated to: “Don’t go there.” This, however, is not true. The word Otorten is not a Russian or Mansi word at all, but simply an error on Russian maps resulting from the mispronunciation of a different mountain a few miles to the north. The Mansi actually refer to Otorten by the name Lunt-Husap-Sjahyl, meaning “Mountain of Goose Nests.”

One of the unexpectedly weird things about diving down this rabbit hole is coming face to face with a totally different worldview from a totally different time. While Eichar interviewed Yuri Yudin he said some things that would be baffling to someone not of his generation. He hates Lenin, curses Yeltsin, and viewed Russian citizens under Putin as being equivalent to plankton. Yet he consideres Stalin a great man. Even Eichar's twenty-something interpreter physically recoiled at this statement. But when one thinks about what a monumentally zeitgeistian task expelling the Germans was, combined with the threat they posed, it can almost seem rational to forgive Stalin for all the evil he did. Yudin's entire understanding of the world was at stake.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

One of the unexpectedly weird things about diving down this rabbit hole is coming face to face with a totally different worldview from a totally different time. While Eichar interviewed Yuri Yudin he said some things that would be baffling to someone not of his generation. He hates Lenin, curses Yeltsin, and viewed Russian citizens under Putin as being equivalent to plankton. Yet he consideres Stalin a great man. Even Eichar's twenty-something interpreter physically recoiled at this statement. But when one thinks about what a monumentally zeitgeistian task expelling the Germans was, combined with the threat they posed, it can almost seem rational to forgive Stalin for all the evil he did. Yudin's entire understanding of the world was at stake.

Stalin industrialized half a continent, brought Russia (the USSR, but Russia) from humiliation to pre-eminence in much of the world, beat the fascists single-handedly and got Russia (The USSR, but Russia) as recognized as a peer of the US, Great Britain, and France.

He might have been a horrible monster too... but he did something with it. 

Yeltsin and Putin haven't done anything with it; Yeltsin with his incompetence and Putin with his return to Czardom. 

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 3/2/2017 at 8:13 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I probably should have, print the legend and all. But according to Eichar it isn't like that.

Beyond the Holatchahl summit was the peak of Otorten Mountain, the hikers’ ultimate destination, which some said translated to: “Don’t go there.” This, however, is not true. The word Otorten is not a Russian or Mansi word at all, but simply an error on Russian maps resulting from the mispronunciation of a different mountain a few miles to the north. The Mansi actually refer to Otorten by the name Lunt-Husap-Sjahyl, meaning “Mountain of Goose Nests.”

In reference to to the ' Mountain of Goose nests' aren't the Russians, Nazis and Italians pretty famous for their ' goose steps' marching technique? 

Could be the locals used Lunt-Husap-Sjahyl as a way of describing a secret Russian base- which led to some interpretations as 'Dont go there'?

And who is really going to believe a Russian map? With supposed errors......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

In reference to to the ' Mountain of Goose nests' aren't the Russians, Nazis and Italians pretty famous for their ' goose steps' marching technique? 

Could be the locals used Lunt-Husap-Sjahyl as a way of describing a secret Russian base- which led to some interpretations as 'Dont go there'?

And who is really going to believe a Russian map? With supposed errors......

This is awesome.

All you guys who aren't normally into this stuff take note. This right here is very high level conspiracy theorizing. Don't let how effortless he did it fool you, this is big league.

• Like 1