Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU '18

We've hovered around the #70 class ranking for the past 6 years or so, and I don't expect '18 to drastically surpass that, but I do expect another solid class on the Mesa. Our '17 class had notably more P5 offers than previous classes, while also filling up with seemingly quality young men. With the offseason to talk up Top 25, Pumphrey, 4 guys at NFL Combine, Back to Back champs, etc., I expect some more interest from higher sought after croots. I've seen a lot of offers going out from Fresno, SJSU, Nevada, etc out here in CA, but SDSU has been a little more reserved thus far. Couple 3* and 4* local croots are on the radar, but the 4* guys (Taylor-Staurt and Justice) are probably PAC12 bound. 

If '18 can match a'17/'16, then I'll be stoked. Stoked to see who the next Aztec will be.

A big part of SDSU's recent success is how many "croots" we've been getting from outside California.

# of non-CA NLIs in 2008-2012 = 16 (3.2/year)

# of non-CA NLIs in 2013-2017 = 53 (10.6/year)

Ergo, there are about 7 more CA kids per year now available to Fresno, SJSU and UNR than there were five years ago.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A big part of SDSU's recent success is how many "croots" we've been getting from outside California.

# of non-CA NLIs in 2008-2012 = 16 (3.2/year)

# of non-CA NLIs in 2013-2017 = 53 (10.6/year)

Ergo, there are about 7 more CA kids per year now available to Fresno, SJSU and UNR than there were five years ago.

Pumphrey and Munson are just 2 examples. 

2 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

I think our class could be around 50th

I'd love that, but right now were tied for last place with everyone else who doesn't have a '18 commit yet.

4 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

Not sure I trust anything willingly calling itself "RU Stool"

It's Rutgers' Bar Stool Sports page

Still quiet on the SDSU recruiting front. Not as many offers as years past and we seem to be going after a lot more 4* guys and trying to capitalize off of the Top 25 and recent success. We'll see if it pays off at all. There's a really deep talent pool in the I.E. at Ground 0 (7on7 team) and we finally seem dedicated to tapping into that. We landed 2 3* CBs with multiple P5 offers from them and we're offering their almost certainly UCLA-bound teammates.

21 hours ago, badfish said:

Still quiet on the SDSU recruiting front. Not as many offers as years past and we seem to be going after a lot more 4* guys and trying to capitalize off of the Top 25 and recent success. We'll see if it pays off at all. There's a really deep talent pool in the I.E. at Ground 0 (7on7 team) and we finally seem dedicated to tapping into that. We landed 2 3* CBs with multiple P5 offers from them and we're offering their almost certainly UCLA-bound teammates.

Won't matter. Bringing in a transfer QB who has been featured on a blog with "stool" in the title has doomed SDSU football forever.

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Won't matter. Bringing in a transfer QB who has been featured on a blog with "stool" in the title has doomed SDSU football forever.

He will see playing time this season. Chapmam will be starter, but I can see special packages for this guy, he has the arm strength and down field passing confidence we lack with Chapman. 

This kid who almost became an Aztec straight outta HS is transferring to SDSU.

http://247sports.com/player/joah-robinett-83935

Gotta sit out this year but will still have three years of eligibility left.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Aztecs add former 3* OLB/DE transfer from Oregon St. 

6'8" project guy that we really liked, but chose P5 over SDSU. Glad he's back, could be a unique player if he finds his niche.

Following up on Robinette, he actually started 2 games as a true freshman OLB at Oregon St last year ( 5 tackles vs CAl, got hurt vs Utah and ended season). He will RS this season and have 3 years left w/ possibility to get medical RS for last year down the line.

seems like a good/lucky get. He just wanted to be closer to family.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:35 PM, badfish said:

We've hovered around the #70 class ranking for the past 6 years or so, and I don't expect '18 to drastically surpass that, but I do expect another solid class on the Mesa. Our '17 class had notably more P5 offers than previous classes, while also filling up with seemingly quality young men. With the offseason to talk up Top 25, Pumphrey, 4 guys at NFL Combine, Back to Back champs, etc., I expect some more interest from higher sought after croots. I've seen a lot of offers going out from Fresno, SJSU, Nevada, etc out here in CA, but SDSU has been a little more reserved thus far. Couple 3* and 4* local croots are on the radar, but the 4* guys (Taylor-Staurt and Justice) are probably PAC12 bound. 

If '18 can match a'17/'16, then I'll be stoked. Stoked to see who the next Aztec will be.

Yeah, seems like Colorado State and SDSU have recruited well the past few years. Just behind Boise State, but ahead of the rest.

Aztecs add JC OL walk-on.

6'3" 300lb OG Garrison Young (Carlsbad HS, Saddleback College)

was committed to UNR and recruiting sites say he signed this Feb? Not sure, but decent walk on, IMO.

started 18 games at Rutgers and did ok. Should give some solid competition to Chapman, maybe even get some special packages for him. He's got a better arm for sure.