Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU '18

Looks like we lost a few along the way. Decent class so far, nothing to go crazy about though. Last years's class left very few holes to fill, so I'm hoping next year is another really solid group.

After taking time to evaluate things, I've come to this...

It is December 21. The staff doesn't fully invest time into recruiting or visits until after the season. Boise, WSU, etc do most of that before or during the season. We currently have:

17 signees, 24 P5 offers
7/17 chose us over P5 offers
7/17 had Ivy League/Academy offers
Byrd has best RB offers/profile of ANY RB commit we've had that I can remember. Very underrated.
Justice is that elite local product we've been trying to land.
No character issue guys.
Definitely made progress with local HS coaches/players/community

This time last year, the only guys we had with P5 offers were Brown, Bell and Irwin. IIRC, Luke, Aleki, Martinez, Williams, Hall, and Venable all committed after visiting in January/Feb.
23 total players, 19 total P5 offers (15/19 came by guys who signed in January)
3 locals with 6 total FBS offers
The best of that bunch were an underrated local who had 1 offer from 1-11 Fresno State and an undersized center.

So, by comparison, we are ahead of last year's class, at this time. I'm very high on the 2017 class, by the way. The staff usually finishes strong, when they actually have guys in for visits. It's disappointing if we miss out on Fuimoano and Lole, but the staff must be confident there is enough talent still out there. I'll wait and see how this class finishes, but we definitely need to put the full court press on whoever is still out there. 

Boise KILLED it yesterday, and they should be the G5 model on how to recruit the early signing day. The staff should evaluate the policy on early visits, because I'm sure we could have used that time to get in on some good guys, instead of waiting until the last 3 weekends. The signing period moved up about 6 weeks, so should our visit schedule.

The staff always talks about recruit "profile" they're after. I believe it entails being a good student, having a chip on your shoulder, not necessarily a "camp" guy or flashy guy, etc. This 2018 class fits the mold.

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yeah him but it's now apparent he will sign in February.

We can pass on him. If we can't find better, just suck it up and start a young guy.

A couple of questions for those in the know. Rocky stated that if anyone didn't sign in December that he'd cut them loose. Looking at their commits it looks like there were two that didn't sign, but are still showing as commits. What's the deal with them? Have they been cut loose and the site just not updated or what?

https://247sports.com/player/nic-mctear-46036132

2nd question. Nic McTear looks like a monster get. His recruitment looks strange, though. He committed to Okie Light back in February and kept getting offers from everyone. Decommitted over the summer and then there were crickets for months. He ends up committing to La-Monroe only to decommit and sign with SDSU three days later. What's the story behind him? Does he have grades issues or something? Why did all of the schools back off all of a sudden? 

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

A couple of questions for those in the know. Rocky stated that if anyone didn't sign in December that he'd cut them loose. Looking at their commits it looks like there were two that didn't sign, but are still showing as commits. What's the deal with them? Have they been cut loose and the site just not updated or what?

https://247sports.com/player/nic-mctear-46036132

2nd question. Nic McTear looks like a monster get. His recruitment looks strange, though. He committed to Okie Light back in February and kept getting offers from everyone. Decommitted over the summer and then there were crickets for months. He ends up committing to La-Monroe only to decommit and sign with SDSU three days later. What's the story behind him? Does he have grades issues or something? Why did all of the schools back off all of a sudden? 

1) Mutual decision to split w/ OL commit Dallas Holliday, who didn't sign.

There are 2 "secret signees" who want to announce at a later date (bowl games, family celebrations, Feb signing day, etc.) we're all assuming Fuimoano is one of them.

Oliver has grade issues, but is all SDSU. Likely a greyshirt, but the staff won't drop him because he'd love to sign when his grades are in order. 

Demajay Williams may be a test score issue. Not sure. Still listed as a commit, but maybe not academically able to sign. Rocky said if they want to sign, but don't have academics in order, they won't drop their scholly. Which leads to McTear...

2) don't think he has grade issues, because Rocky won't sign guys in early period who aren't for sure gets. It basically wastes the spot, when they can wait til Feb and see how they do. McTear was a huge recruit, then decomitted from OK state and probably had trouble looking for a school that had an opening at TE and fit him. Picked ULM before signing day, but one of the local TX HS coaches hit up someone on our staff and said he's interested. We offered, and he flipped right before signing day. Big pick up, especially for our offensive style.

6 minutes ago, badfish said:

1) Mutual decision to split w/ OL commit Dallas Holliday, who didn't sign.

There are 2 "secret signees" who want to announce at a later date (bowl games, family celebrations, Feb signing day, etc.) we're all assuming Fuimoano is one of them.

Oliver has grade issues, but is all SDSU. Likely a greyshirt, but the staff won't drop him because he'd love to sign when his grades are in order. 

Demajay Williams may be a test score issue. Not sure. Still listed as a commit, but maybe not academically able to sign. Rocky said if they want to sign, but don't have academics in order, they won't drop their scholly. Which leads to McTear...

2) don't think he has grade issues, because Rocky won't sign guys in early period who aren't for sure gets. It basically wastes the spot, when they can wait til Feb and see how they do. McTear was a huge recruit, then decomitted from OK state and probably had trouble looking for a school that had an opening at TE and fit him. Picked ULM before signing day, but one of the local TX HS coaches hit up someone on our staff and said he's interested. We offered, and he flipped right before signing day. Big pick up, especially for our offensive style.

It is a big pick up. SDSU uses the TEs well assuming the kid can block. But they do like to throw to their TEs. I still feel like there is more to the story. Someone that highly recruited being, basically, dropped is odd. Hope it works out. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

It is a big pick up. SDSU uses the TEs well assuming the kid can block. But they do like to throw to their TEs. I still feel like there is more to the story. Someone that highly recruited being, basically, dropped is odd. Hope it works out. 

He's a block first TE, but can catch decently. I don't think there's really more to it. I think he handled his recruitment poorly and ended up with limited options at the end, and SDSU was lucky to have connections in TX and a good reputation with TEs. 

@badfish what are your thoughts on our QB situation. I like the Baker signing. I feel like the staff should take a JuCo QB as well. Josh Harris formerly an O-side pirate now at GCC looks good. As does Kane Wilson from FCC. 

8 hours ago, GoldenEagleAztec said:

@badfish what are your thoughts on our QB situation. I like the Baker signing. I feel like the staff should take a JuCo QB as well. Josh Harris formerly an O-side pirate now at GCC looks good. As does Kane Wilson from FCC. 

Clearly our QB situation could be better, but idk how that will happen this offseason. Chapman is good at what he does, managing games and not losing any. We need someone who can handle more responsibility and open up the passing game. Baker will be good, I like his size and mobility. I think we should open up the tryouts during spring/fall. If one of the RSFR can beat Chapman, it's theirs. If nobody can come out ahead, he keeps his spot. I believe either Roane or Salazar are the QB of the future.

We picked up 6'8" DE/OLB bounce back from Oregon State. He started a few games as a true freshman in 2016 before getting hurt. OSU wanted to switch him to TE, which he didn't want, and he had family health issues, so he is back. Was going to walk-on until we gave him a scholly offer yesterday. If he can bulk up, he'll be a really good DE