boisewitha-s

Uconn to BE

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Gonzaga and BYU would both love to join the BIg East. 

But you are correct.  It has never been done for "basketball only"....ever.  

And the Big East is too far away for a school in Spokane and Provo to join the Big East.  

So....not happening.

Anyone saying that St Mary's is a perfect fit for the Big East is clueless. 

I would agree St Mary's wouldn't be included. The Big East started moving west with Creighton, it wouldn't surprise me if Gonzaga and BYU were added down the road.

Guest #1Stunner

The Big East schools are a lot more academically prestigious than the West Coast Conference (by and large, if you look at the Endowments of all schools).  

They also have larger enrollments.

Member schools[edit]

Charter members[edit]

All full members of the Big East are private institutions, and all are Catholic except for Butler.

Institution Location Founded Joined Enrollment Nickname Colors
Butler University Indianapolis, Indiana 1855 2013 4,848 Bulldogs          
Creighton University Omaha, Nebraska 1878 2013 8,236 Bluejays          
DePaul University Chicago, Illinois 1898 2013 23,799 Blue Demons          
Georgetown University Washington, D.C. 1789 2013 17,858 Hoyas          
Marquette University Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1881 2013 11,745 Golden Eagles          
Providence College Providence, Rhode Island 1917 2013 4,533 Friars               
St. John's University New York City, New York 1870 2013 20,448 Red Storm          
Seton Hall University South Orange, New Jersey 1856 2013 9,627 Pirates          
Villanova University Villanova, Pennsylvania 1842 2013 10,735 Wildcats          
Xavier University Cincinnati, Ohio 1831 2013 6,538 Musketeers               

Membership[edit]

Current members[edit]

Institution Location Founded Type Enrollment Endowment Team Colors Joined
Brigham Young University Provo, Utah 1875 Private
Latter-day Saints
34,100 $1.47 billion Cougars           2011
Gonzaga University Spokane, Washington 1887 Private
Jesuit
7,229 $121 million Bulldogs                1979
Loyola Marymount University Los Angeles, California 1865 Private
Jesuit
8,972 $361 million Lions           1955
University of the Pacific[9][10] Stockton, California 1851 Private
United Methodist Church
6,652 $386 million Tigers           1952,*
Pepperdine University Malibu, California 1937 Private
Churches of Christ
6,000 $812 million Waves                1955
University of Portland Portland, Oregon 1901 Private
Holy Cross
3,200 $100 million Pilots           1976
Saint Mary's College Moraga, California 1863 Private
De La Salle Brothers
4,768 $123 million Gaels                1952
University of San Diego San Diego, California 1949 Private
Diocesan Catholic
7,548 $346 million Toreros                1979
University of San Francisco San Francisco, California 1855 Private
Jesuit
10,017 $237 million Dons           1952
Santa Clara University Santa Clara, California 1851 Private
Jesuit
8,300 $688 million Broncos           1952

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, bigd said:

I would agree St Mary's wouldn't be included. The Big East started moving west with Creighton, it wouldn't surprise me if Gonzaga and BYU were added down the road.

Agreed.

If the Big East wants other schools (like UConn, and others).  It has solid options available in the A10.

The Big East is going to a 20 game conference schedule.  Adding only UConn and having 11 teams fulfills that round-robin style the AD's like.   Seems like this will happen when UConn decides what they can do with football (Indy or MAC).  BYU would be smart to contact them and help them out with an Indy schedule.  Between Army, BYU, UConn, UMass and NMSU.  You can at least have a November schedule worked out without any MW teams.

37 minutes ago, Mano said:

I wonder if Gonzaga would ever consider making this move in basketball only. 

I have no idea about the quality of their other sports but those sports are irrelevant monetarily and Gonzaga basketball has been so consistently good for so many years that even if they're awful, Gonzaga would be a good add for any G5 conference. As I've said before, since Gonzaga isn't a Catholic school, I think there's more of a chance they might leave the WCC than is true of anybody else in that conference. Of course, as bad as the MWC has become, how could making the change possibly be to the Zags' benefit?

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I have no idea about the quality of their other sports but those sports are irrelevant monetarily and Gonzaga basketball has been so consistently good for so many years that even if they're awful, Gonzaga would be a good add for any G5 conference. As I've said before, since Gonzaga isn't a Catholic school, I think there's more of a chance they might leave the WCC than is true of anybody else in that conference. Of course, as bad as the MWC has become, how could joining this conference possibly be to the Zags' benefit?

Gonzaga is a Catholic school.  

38 minutes ago, bigd said:

Basketball only? Has that every been done at any level? I can't imagine it happening...

But if the Big East ever got really ambitious I could see them adding Gonzaga along with another western partner.

Basketball isn't football. When SDSU was temporarily headed to the BE, our football team was only going to have to make four trips east per year and wouldn't have played any weekday games. Even if Gonzaga's hoops team could kill two birds with one stone so it would only need to make an equal number of trips east, they would have to be on the road for almost a week each time. Impossible, no, but improbable yes.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Basketball isn't football. When SDSU was temporarily headed to the BE, our football team was only going to have to make four trips east per year and wouldn't have played any weekday games. Even if Gonzaga's hoops team could kill two birds with one stone so it would only need to make an equal number of trips east, they would have to be on the road for almost a week each time. Impossible, no, but improbable yes.

All good points, and it wouldn't only be basketball but all the non revenue sports. 

UConn has been trying to get out of AAC ever since it was formed they tried hard to get into the ACC however UConn to the Big East would ruin the structure that the teams that went into the new Big East wanted. Also UConn football has been independent before but they say unless they sign a nice TV deal as an independent they wouldn't be able to survive I think because you look at the other independents they all have good TV deals except UMass who is struggling financially with football. I don't envision UConn getting a nice TV deal for football though.

However I did think a few years ago UConn was so desperate to get something to work, that I think they had broached talks with the west about putting their all their other teams in one of those divisions except for basketball and something like they would help with travel back east

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

UConn and Idaho to the MWC FB only. 

Gotta think that Boise is the first school that the AAC is going to call to inquire about a replacement for UConn.

AAC has wanted Boise for a long time.  Almost had you guys.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Problem is that UMass is a huge downgrade from UConn.

BYU has played both schools recently.  It wasn't even close.  UConn is a lot stronger.

UMass needs a lot of improvement to their football program:

5e320677a35f060c1569c1804e2326a4f3a35605

Wow that looks like you just copied and pasted a stadium in an empty, abandoned lot. Doesn't look good at all 

It's not surprising that UConn is making this move.  Their basketball recruiting started to struggle when the C7 left.  The blue chippers don't want to play in the AAC.  I think UConn has AAU status as well so that should make the BE happy.  However, they better hope the toned down Patriot League conference will take their football.  If they have to go independent they might drop it since it would be a money losing albatross.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

that's why UConn is in the AAC in the first place...they were out playing hoops while BC took the ACC spot and Rutgers took their B10 spot...FOOTBALL drives the bus and always has.

That's kinda to my point. Football drives the bus if you have a legit shot at P5. If not, probably best to focus more attention on hoops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

The Big East is going to a 20 game conference schedule.  Adding only UConn and having 11 teams fulfills that round-robin style the AD's like.   Seems like this will happen when UConn decides what they can do with football (Indy or MAC).  BYU would be smart to contact them and help them out with an Indy schedule.  Between Army, BYU, UConn, UMass and NMSU.  You can at least have a November schedule worked out without any MW teams.

Except for there are already a ton of MWC teams on the Nov schedule and it's not going away anytime soon.  It's so hard to play in November!  What a distraction!

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg