boisewitha-s

Uconn to BE

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Problem is that UMass is a huge downgrade from UConn.

BYU has played both schools recently.  It wasn't even close.  UConn is a lot stronger.

UMass needs a lot of improvement to their football program:

5e320677a35f060c1569c1804e2326a4f3a35605

the AAC will surely require...(that's fine for OOC games though)

typical.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, UofMTigers said:

the AAC will surely require...(that's fine for OOC games though)

typical.jpg

The Patriots Stadium is a 2 hour drive from the UMass campus.

UMass only wants to play 1 or 2 games per year at the Patriots Stadium.  It is too far away.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The Patriots Stadium is a 2 hour drive from the UMass campus. and...UConn's stadium is an hour drive from Storrs

UMass only wants to play 1 or 2 games per year at the Patriots Stadium.  It is too far away.

they only play there 1-2 times a year because it's too expensive and not needed in the MAC/Indy...in the AAC they will suddenly get 2 million per year from ESPN to pay for things like that. (stadium rent)

they can always play 2-3 OOC games at Amherst to make some side $$$

mem skyline sig.jpeg

27 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Does the MAC have an open spot? Would they take FB only?

That's the only logical landing place. UConn basketball is top notch and therefore belongs back in the BE. However, UConn football is almost bottom of the barrel. Yeah, it might be better than NMSU but NMSU is independent for that sport only because no FBS conference will take the Aggies. If I'm the commissioner of the MAC, I'm thinking that at a minimum, having ESPN's hometown football team might get my conference some much needed leverage with the WWL.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The Patriots Stadium is a 2 hour drive from the UMass campus.

And UMess games at that NFL stadium would make SDSU games at Qualcomm look like a sellout in comparison.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, dpc8302 said:

UMass is independent because the MAC wont take football only schools.

I wonder if now that UConn is available the MAC will take both them and UMass as football only (assuming the AAC doesn't take UMass for all sports. Having an odd number didn't make sense, but UConn and UMass would.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

That's the only logical landing place. UConn basketball is top notch and therefore belongs back in the BE. However, UConn football is almost bottom of the barrel. Yeah, it might be better than NMSU but NMSU is independent for that sport only because no FBS conference will take the Aggies. If I'm the commissioner of the MAC, I'm thinking that at a minimum, having ESPN's hometown football team might get my conference some much needed leverage with the WWL.

Disagree with your assertion that "UConn football is almost bottom of the barrel".

UConn football is the same level of most MWC teams.  That's obviously not great, but UConn is the caliber of the bulk of SDSU's football schedule every year.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

And UMess games at that NFL stadium would make SDSU games at Qualcomm look like a sellout in comparison.

compared to UConn football, it's a wash IMHO...

I'm not saying UMass is = to UConn...I'm saying it's a survivable hit for the AAC as you just add UMass all-sports and WSU olympic sports only and move on.

had the Big 12 taken Cincy...and THEN UConn left for the BE...THAT would be a critical hit to the AAC.

I also want more proof than Rothstein...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

35 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

that's why UConn is in the AAC in the first place...they were out playing hoops while BC took the ACC spot and Rutgers took their B10 spot...FOOTBALL drives the bus and always has.

UConn was never on the Big 10 radar, and certainly not ahead of Rutgers.  TV sets drove the Big 10 expansion.  And BC is more a basketball school than a football school - like UConn - only in a bigger market.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Disagree with your assertion that "UConn football is almost bottom of the barrel".

UConn football is the same level of most MWC teams.  That's obviously not great, but UConn is the caliber of the bulk of SDSU's football schedule every year.

Just checked and UConn is 8-22 against the current members of the AAC. If UConn was in the MWC, they would battle UNLV for conference doormat honors.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

UConn was never on the Big 10 radar, and certainly not ahead of Rutgers.  TV sets drove the Big 10 expansion.  And BC is more a basketball school than a football school - like UConn - only in a bigger market.

UConn is stuck on the island of misfit toys and nostalgia won't change that fact...they had their shots (ACC and Big 10) and missed both times.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

And my guess - and that's all it is - is that UConn would stay an AAC member in football.  If the discussions ever get that far.  After all, Navy is a football-only member, too.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 minutes ago, RSF said:

And my guess - and that's all it is - is that UConn would stay an AAC member in football.  If the discussions ever get that far.  After all, Navy is a football-only member, too.

Drugs are bad....

mem skyline sig.jpeg

19 minutes ago, RSF said:

Ehh BC has one of the worst basketball histories in the ACC. UConn is a blue blood basketball program, Boston College is pretty mediocre in football and basketball and has a small fan base. They're the SJSU of the ACC, UConn would've been a better add. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mano said:

I wonder if Gonzaga would ever consider making this move in basketball only. 

Basketball only? Has that every been done at any level? I can't imagine it happening...

But if the Big East ever got really ambitious I could see them adding Gonzaga along with another western partner.

1 minute ago, bigd said:

Basketball only? Has that every been done at any level? I can't imagine it happening...

But if the Big East ever got really ambitious I could see them adding Gonzaga along with another western partner.

Gonzaga + St. Mary's seem like perfect fits for the BE, other than geography.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, bigd said:

Gonzaga and BYU would both love to join the BIg East. 

But you are correct.  It has never been done for "basketball only"....ever.  

And the Big East is too far away for a school in Spokane and Provo to join the Big East.  

So....not happening.

Anyone saying that St Mary's is a perfect fit for the Big East is clueless. 

3 minutes ago, Mano said:

Gonzaga + St. Mary's seem like perfect fits for the BE, other than geography.

True, if that ever became a possibility I could even see them going for BYU. Saint Mary's is great now, but doesn't have much history and is one coaching loss away from being irrelevant.