retrofade

Do you use a personal website to augment your resume?

I'm applying for jobs right now because after doing enough research, I've realized that I have no interest in working for the Fortune 100 company that purchased us. 

So, on that note, I put together a personal website in order to augment my resume. My wife said that she had pretty good luck with that when she was applying for jobs, and ended up getting her dream job a few months ago. Have any of y'all done the same thing? If so, did it seem like it brought better results from applications? 

I don't use a personal website because I'm a member of a union and they have me listed on their jobs directory, it's part of the dues. But I do have a LinkedIn page with my resume posted on it. That has generated some side work for me. And I keep in touch with alumni and professional groups through LinkedIn too.

I haven't used one myself, but had someone applying for a S/W Eng job list one.  We went there to check his coding.  It ended up hurting him because it gave everyone a chance to critique his coding style and skills before he arrived for his interview.  By then, everyone had their opinions formed.  

I guess it just depends on the type of job you're applying for and whether the content you're putting up there is good.  It sounds like a lot of work to me.

1 hour ago, nomascows said:

Can't say that I have heard of this tactic.  What info do you put on the website beyond your resume? Will recruiters look at the link when a lot won't even read to the end of the resume if it is much  more than a couple pages long?

A lot of companies in my industry, and the field of work that I'm looking for work in, ask for a one page resume. My wife had the same thing come up for her while she was applying for jobs. So the resume is significantly condensed, and the website is used a way to augment this. Essentially, they want to review the basics of your experience to get past the initial screening process, and then want to have information past that leading into the interview phase. 

I'm not certain if it would be super helpful for me, but I figured that it couldn't hurt, especially since I'm having to condense my resume to a single page right now. 

I think it can only help if you are able to design a great website and that you have content to fill it (or a reason to have it). 

I think it can easily hurt if your website game is subpar,  and/or if you really don't have the resume or details to justify having a website.  

So it really depends.  Just know that posting on Mwcboard.com isn't really a qualification to put on a resume or CV. 

• Like 2

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

1 hour ago, Jwherb said:

I think it can only help if you are able to design a great website and that you have content to fill it (or a reason to have it). 

I think it can easily hurt if your website game is subpar,  and/or if you really don't have the resume or details to justify having a website.  

So it really depends.  Just know that posting on Mwcboard.com isn't really a qualification to put on a resume or CV. 

Damnit, I have that listed as my top qualification. I'm going to have to go back and revise it now. :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

What is your profession? That probably makes a big difference.

I sit on Web Developer interview panels a lot. 

When we interview Developers we always look for a personal web site to gauge their skills.

Yeah, well what do you know?

:ph34r:

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

32 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Yeah, well what do you know?

:ph34r:

Well you hit the nail on the head; if you are faking don't even bother because the panel will most certainly have Developers on it and they will rip your code up before they ever even meet you. 

If you have skills then by all means show us what you got. up.gif

• Like 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

6 hours ago, RogueStout said:

What is your profession? That probably makes a big difference.

I sit on Web Developer interview panels a lot. 

When we interview Developers we always look for a personal web site to gauge their skills.

I'm a project manager, so it's more to be able to showcase my projects in more detail. 

2 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Gotcha. I wouldn't do that but that's just me.

Yeah, I'm not sure. Companies are asking for one page resumes, but they want your entire job history. I can't really spend two sentences on each job that I've had, which I need to list to show progressive upward motion and lack of gaps. 

Like I said, my wife did one and got very good responses when she was interviewing for jobs. Her page was apparently a big part of why her now current employer was interested in interviewing her... but she's an operations person for a sales background... and now already being considered as the internal candidate to replace her boss as VP --- after three months with the company. 

:lol: 

She's definitely the brains of the family.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:31 PM, RamSack said:

I haven't used one myself, but had someone applying for a S/W Eng job list one.  We went there to check his coding.  It ended up hurting him because it gave everyone a chance to critique his coding style and skills before he arrived for his interview.  By then, everyone had their opinions formed.  

I guess it just depends on the type of job you're applying for and whether the content you're putting up there is good.  It sounds like a lot of work to me.

That's a funny story.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

So @retrofade - at least in my profession (marketing), LinkedIn is a fantastic tool for job searching. My profile is set up just like my resume and I get contacted by recruiters regularly. Sign up for a Premium account (~$25/mo) and your profile gets prioritized in search efforts by HR reps and recruiters. 

Over the last 3.5 years, I've received 4 job offers through LinkedIn without doing any proactive outreach. Not just interviews but actual offers. Although I've interviewed, I've turned them all down because the timing hasn't been right. That said, I keep my options open for the right opportunity and I haven't found a more effective way to passively display my credentials than LinkedIn. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

So @retrofade - at least in my profession (marketing), LinkedIn is a fantastic tool for job searching. My profile is set up just like my resume and I get contacted by recruiters regularly. Sign up for a Premium account (~$25/mo) and your profile gets prioritized in search efforts by HR reps and recruiters. 

Over the last 3.5 years, I've received 4 job offers through LinkedIn without doing any proactive outreach. Not just interviews but actual offers. Although I've interviewed, I've turned them all down because the timing hasn't been right. That said, I keep my options open for the right opportunity and I haven't found a more effective way to passively display my credentials than LinkedIn. 

To be clear, this isn't a page to market myself and have people find me through it for potential jobs. It's simply a way to augment my resume to provide additional information if a perspective employer may be interested. 

I actually re-subscribed to LinkedIn Premium last night, so hopefully that will help. Unfortunately, most of what I get through recruiters there are for SysAdmin and Network Admin jobs, since that's what my history was up until 2013. The amusing ones are when I get people trying to hire me for helpdesk work for $18/hr, and I'm like bitch please... I made that in a help desk in 2001, and my experience makes me so far overqualified that it's laughable.