GoState99755

Kiplinger:  Best University Values

5 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

I don't see how any college in California could be considered a good value.

You mean a good value like a Boise State education, right? I'm sure a BSU degree really opens doors outside Idaho.

And do you doubt the objectivity of Kiplinger's?

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You mean a good value like a Boise State education, right? I'm sure a BSU degree really opens doors outside Idaho.

And do you doubt the objectivity of Kiplinger's?

I didn't graduate from BSU. I've just lived here 20 years. I graduated from a California university. Grew up there.

1 hour ago, Dimwhit said:

I didn't graduate from BSU. I've just lived here 20 years. I graduated from a California university. Grew up there.

Well, I don't know where you attended school but would guess it was a private university since you seem so cynical about California's public ones. Speaking for myself, the relatively modest tuition I paid to attend two CSU schools to obtain degrees which have resulted in considerable earnings means those schools were a huge bargain. I'm not saying that would be true today since there are frankly far too many people attending college than there are good jobs available for them. However, relative to public universities elsewhere, it seems to me California schools remain a better value than most.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:23 PM, renoskier said:

Go to hell Carolina, go to hell!!!

Image result for duke

Are you drinking yet?

CkNIwuxVAAIiA3A.jpg

On 2/11/2017 at 8:20 AM, Dimwhit said:

I don't see how any college in California could be considered a good value.

Your online name suits you perfectly. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, crixus said:

Your online name suits you perfectly. :rolleyes:

Not to say you are wrong....but I have to agree with him. When you include living expenses...places like California and UCBoulder have to be dropped. Believe me, with kids in school in California and NMSU..huge difference in rent. And really....lists like this cant even begin to make sense until you know what your major is going to be.

If you think employers look at lists like and hire solely based off of these rankings pass the crack pipe.. Ive worked all over the county and spent time overseas, hired probably 100+ people, never seen anyone use phukking US News or whatever to hire someone.

Its all about personal drive. Because someone graduated from a school ranked 97th in America doesn't mean they'll be more successful than someone who graduated from the 452nd ranked school.

18 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I know I'm far more likely to hire someone who worked a full time job while going to college over someone who got a 3.7 at say Utah who did nothing but study and go to school. Life experience and hustle translates far more than doing school work.

From looking at some of the folks I went to grad school with, if they are going to a great school, they are likely working and doing multiple internships and research at some of the best firms/institutes in the country/world.  And the school they went to had the connections and name recognition to put them above others, when all else was equal.

Even at SDSU, most folks worked while going to school, and we all knew that zero work experience (specifically interning) was going to drop your chances for entry-level success quicker than a GPA.  Suffice to say it is implicitly stated that "life experience and hustle" is bred into the better school's students through the advisors, professors, alumni, and fellow students.

Unless you had the silver spoon, I suppose.

I've ran through so many book nerds that can ace a test but don't have any life skills that translate in the real world. I'm not saying this is the case for every single person, but I've hired a few people who excel in school but don't have the people skills/drive/work ethic to excel in the working world.

But ive still never seen anyone ever pull up college rankings when hiring someone. The majority of America doesn't have a clue whether Colorado St ranks higher in US was rankings than New Mexico.

1 minute ago, IanforHeisman said:

I've ran through so many book nerds that can ace a test but don't have any life skills that translate in the real world. I'm not saying this is the case for every single person, but I've hired a few people who excel in school but suck ass in the real world. 

But ive still never seen anyone ever pull up college rankings when hiring someone. The majority of America doesn't have a clue whether Colorado St ranks higher in US was rankings than New Mexico.

I don't think it was intended for employers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't think it was intended for employers.

I know that it's meant for perspective students.. But I just have to laugh at people bragging about their alma maters ranking on these lists. Doesn't mean a whole lot.

And aren't a lot of these rankings based on grad programs.. 

2 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I know that it's meant for perspective students.. But I just have to laugh at people bragging about their alma maters ranking on these lists. Doesn't mean a whole lot.

And aren't a lot of these rankings based on grad programs.. 

I don't see the issue I guess if it doesn't mean a lot :shrug: 

Most lists typically separate grad programs from the crux of the ranking, as it uses grad rates, incoming freshmen GPA, ACT/SAT percentiles, and other undergrad-based factors. 

I think this list is silly, in all honesty.  How does a university with a 12% 4-year grad rate get called a "best value"?  Seems like an important metric.

1 hour ago, IanforHeisman said:

If you think employers look at lists like and hire solely based off of these rankings pass the crack pipe.. Ive worked all over the county and spent time overseas, hired probably 100+ people, never seen anyone use phukking US News or whatever to hire someone.

Who the hell said employers look at these lists? It's prospective students who do. And they do so if they're smart because they don't want to spend thousands of dollars and thousands of study hours to get a degree which has limited earning potential. But if you think employers consider a Boise State degree as being equal to even a CSU or SDSU degree to say nothing of a degree from Cal or UCLA, it's YOU who need to put down the crack pipe.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

32 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I've ran through so many book nerds that can ace a test but don't have any life skills that translate in the real world. I'm not saying this is the case for every single person, but I've hired a few people who excel in school but don't have the people skills/drive/work ethic to excel in the working world.

With THAT, I have to agree.

Case in point. I once worked as a paralegal at a firm which had an attorney who was literally a Mensa member and possessed a PhD as well as a law degree from Stanford. After a while, our mutual boss began quietly giving me some of that attorney's files to review because she overanalyzed things and couldn't make decisions on cases which the firm could only bill its clients so much for. That was here in L.A. and after a couple years, that attorney was told she would never make partner so she took her lofty education to a firm in beautiful Bakersfield and that's the last I ever hear of her. I similarly worked with an attorney who had a PhD from UCLA and a law degree from Hastings. He lasted longer but also never made partner and the last I heard he had regular advertisements in the Daily Journal looking for divorce mediation work. Both people had immense vocabularies but each had little common sense and ability to work as part of a team.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

If you think employers look at lists like and hire solely based off of these rankings pass the crack pipe.. Ive worked all over the county and spent time overseas, hired probably 100+ people, never seen anyone use phukking US News or whatever to hire someone.

Its all about personal drive. Because someone graduated from a school ranked 97th in America doesn't mean they'll be more successful than someone who graduated from the 452nd ranked school.

Before I retired I hired many candidates who had majors in finance (we were financial advisors) or economics. However in about  a 20 year period I had the opportunity to hire three candidates from the Ivy league (two from Princeton and one from Dartmouth),  I never had any problems with any of them and they often were in the top 10 % of our sales force. They were in fact the "go to guys" in our office. I am a graduate of SDSU and U. of Cincinnati and so I believe my education was at or above normal but in no way comparable to theirs. So yes in a sense I did look at lists and hire basically on university rankings (though not these specific rankings.)  If you are seeking an employee in an entry level advisor job and you take a prospective employee from Boise or Fresno over Harvard or Yale you are either crazy or sadly mistaken.

I must admit my education did not compare to the Ivy grads I mentioned above but I made it on sales skills. I did not even major in finance rather I was a European history major. I am not sure why I succeeded except I worked more hours than most others but that alone was not the reason. Perhaps I should not have held the position I did. Mayhaps their were no Ivy grads who were willing to work for my starting salary. In any case when I retired I was replaced by an Ivy grad, and I was sufficiently intelligent to recommend him.

By the way I have had a series of serious health problems in the past 2 years which included a 28 day stay in a hospital and a botched operation. I will be moving to a care institution at the end of the month and I believe but an not certain that their is no opportunity for internet usage there and so will wish one and all a pleasant year whilst I can. I may simply obtain a smart phone and communicate on the net in that fashion. However I grew to hate the cell world when I was working and upon my retirement cancelled my phone. I have been very happy not to be bothered by inane calls since then and have never regretted my cancellation. In truth this is the only sports site which I have posted on and so with the exception of Mug and the many posters I have replied to on the MWCboard I will not miss the web. Good luck to all, live your life to the fullest so that when you are 70 as I am you can say you did not miss doing anything you genuinely wanted to do.

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

With THAT, I have to agree.

Case in point. I once worked as a paralegal at a firm which had an attorney who was literally a Mensa member and possessed a PhD as well as a law degree from Stanford. After a while, our mutual boss began quietly giving me some of that attorney's files to review because she overanalyzed things and couldn't make decisions on cases which the firm could only bill its clients so much for. That was here in L.A. and after a couple years, that attorney was told she would never make partner so she took her lofty education to a firm in beautiful Bakersfield and that's the last I ever hear of her. I similarly worked with an attorney who had a PhD from UCLA and a law degree from Hastings. He lasted longer but also never made partner and the last I heard he had regular advertisements in the Daily Journal looking for divorce mediation work. Both people had immense vocabularies but each had little common sense and ability to work as part of a team.

Query: were these people offered equity partnerships? I find equity partnerships highly questionable however I see the reason for them.

11 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Who the hell said employers look at these lists? It's prospective students who do. And they do so if they're smart because they don't want to spend thousands of dollars and thousands of study hours to get a degree which has limited earning potential. But if you think employers consider a Boise State degree as being equal to even a CSU or SDSU degree to say nothing of a degree from Cal or UCLA, it's YOU who need to put down the crack pipe.

???

No one outside if it's own alumni think SDSU is some sort of academic giant. 

That shitty Boise St degree has turned over 7 figures since 2004. Can't imagine what I could have done at the Harvard of the west!