utgrizfan

Montana Attendance Better then 7 MWC Schools

23 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

OK, I apologize if I got it wrong.  

Just seems like Fresno football has really struggled the past 4 years or so.  I didn't realize you had that much other success outside of football.  Congrats.

I know this last year felt like 4, but it was only 1 year. 2 years ago we were in the championship and 3 years ago we won the championship. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Guest Cowboy Junky
30 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

at some point the Pac-12 will go to 14 and the MWC will get raided again (just ask Utah)...

Yeah, but it's one hell of a lot less likely then the B1G, SEC, AAC, or Big 12 expanding. You guys are surrounded by conferences that are likely to expand. We only have to worry about the Pac, which rarely expands and the Big 12. Then you have the high academic standards of the Pac. There's no way in hell a California state school, Boise state, UNLV......ever get into the Pac. The only schools that meet the academic standards in the MWC aren't at all appealing athletically.

The AAC is way more likely to get gutted than the MWC. It's always been like that and it will always be like that.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Yeah, but it's one hell of a lot less likely then the B1G, SEC, AAC, or Big 12 expanding. You guys are surrounded by conferences that are likely to expand. We only have to worry about the Pac, which rarely expands and the Big 12.

The AAC is way more likely to get gutted than the MWC. It's always been like that and it will always be like that.

that's ridiculous as the SEC, Big 10, and ACC are all happy at 14 (which seems to be the magic number, not 16) and the Big XII just got paid by ESPN to not expand through their current TV contract (2024 I believe)

AAC is stable til the Big XII TV contract is renegotiated in 7ish years...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest Cowboy Junky
1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

that's ridiculous as the SEC, Big 10, and ACC are all happy at 14 (which seems to be the magic number, not 16) and the Big XII just got paid by ESPN to not expand through their current TV contract (2024 I believe)

AAC is stable til the Big XII TV contract is renegotiated in 7ish years...

You know 14 isn't the end game number. 16 is, and you guys are surrounded by conferences with 14 members.

Just now, Cowboy Junky said:

You know 14 isn't the end game number. 16 is, and you guys are surrounded by conferences with 14 members.

based on all those conferences that have expanded to 16, right? lol

reality says it's 14...

I know of one conference that tried to go to 16...it's a basketball conference now.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest Cowboy Junky
Just now, UofMTigers said:

based on all those conferences that have expanded to 16, right? lol

reality says it's 14...

I know of one conference that tried to go to 16...it's a basketball conference now.

No, based on simple greed. LOL

When those conferences want more money, they'll add 2 more good teams.

That's how it works.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Joe from WY said:

Yeah, any talk of kicking Hawaii out is a non-starter with me. 

What are your thoughts on SJSU?

They just can't seem to get it going.

30 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

No, based on simple greed. LOL

When those conferences want more money, they'll add 2 more good teams.

That's how it works.

again, there is this thing called reality that's begging for your attention...ESPN is losing money quick due to cord cutting...they are paying conferences to NOT expand because they don't have the money to pay the Big XIII 30 million dollars for Cincy and 30 million for BYU...the bubble has gone and busted and these conferences better enjoy these contracts while they have them.

again, I'll worry about expansion in 7 years...not one second before.

http://deadspin.com/espn-is-hemorrhaging-subscribers-and-pretending-it-does-1788618362

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Not in the Western Sun Belt it wouldn't. 

They'd probably be in the 4-4/3-5 level right out of the gate. Not to mention they have a great stadium, improving weight facilities, and a really pretty good basketball arena too. 

Did not Wyoming beat Montana in Laramie when your the program was real down a couple of years ago ?

I'd happily trade Montana for SJSU.

But I do agree that the top of the Big Sky and MVFC should move up:

Idaho

Montana

Montana State

New Mexico State

North Dakota State

Sac State

UC Davis

Montana would have to completely retool its recruiting to compete in the MWC. It recruits Montana very well. How many D1 kids does that state produce? A few at best? I think Montana is a cool small school but I'd take my chances recruiting against that program which would have to lure kids from Cal that far away.

I think UM will be more closely aligned with Nevada (and several other MWC programs) in the not too distant future because whether fans on this board want to admit the obvious or not, the top half of the FBS could care less about the bottom half.

And finally, there's a reason that Montana wins. It plays a horribly weak schedule even for a FCS program.

10 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Montana would have to completely retool its recruiting to compete in the MWC. It recruits Montana very well. How many D1 kids does that state produce? A few at best? I think Montana is a cool small school but I'd take my chances recruiting against that program which would have to lure kids from Cal that far away.

I think UM will be more closely aligned with Nevada (and several other MWC programs) in the not too distant future because whether fans on this board want to admit the obvious or not, the top half of the FBS could care less about the bottom half.

And finally, there's a reason that Montana wins. It plays a horribly weak schedule even for a FCS program.

Honestly, if you can recruit to Reno, Laramie, Boise, you can recruit to Missoula or Bozeman.  I don't care for the politics of the locals, but both locations are in beautiful spots with plenty to do for college kids.  I agree they would have to change their recruiting process, but it could be done.  The biggest roadblock is there is entrenched established interests of keeping Montana and MSU at FCS that are based on the idea FBS is detrimental to the academics and University as a whole.  I know Wyo, CSU, and likely most of the college world deal with this, but for Montana and MSU those voices are the ones in power both at the Universities and in the State Governments. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Now this isn't a dig against schools in the MWC yes it is

however I'm just highlighting the fact that both Montana schools never struggle in terms of attendance has even MSU beat out some MWC schools in terms of attendance. good for you

I only bring this up due to watching several late-night MWC games and seeing the stands pretty much empty and frankly that is never a good look for any conference. it not being a good look isn't the reason you brought it up

I am curious, would you guys prefer some teams that actually have a fanbase and put lots of money and support into their football programs or those with a better TV deal? yes but there are none who want to join us

And if you would want to add the Montana schools who would you want to kick out if any teams? it's a moot point. Montana does not want to go D1

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/1/30/gr ... -year.aspx

If Montana ever wanted to step up to D1, they'd be worth a good long look. Since they have said many times that they do not, this is a pointless discussion.

I am out to go talk hoops.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Montana just doesn't have what it takes to compete in big-time environments like this:

Jaycee%20Hillsman%20and%20James%20Webb.J

11651031.jpeg

9109445.jpeg

How come there aren't any Sharta fans coming to the defense of their athletic department and fan base in this thread?  

Guys. Montana is a poor state. Like, surprisingly poor. They probably don't want to bear the cost of being FBS when and if the revenue bubble for it bursts. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

We have some of the most stupid fans from anywhere in the country on this board. Kicking out a team that has the potential to make a New Years day bowl, draw 45K average in attendance, supports your welfare schools in travel and a 13th game week zero game, brings in millions on your TV deal and replacing them with teams that have absolutely ZERO potential in ever making any waves in the college football world is another word for idiot. If you want a 3rd rate conference then it's okay by me to kick Hawaii out and replace us with whomever. You guys are true idiots.

Hawaii is only one of a handful of schools in the MWC that has the potential to make a New Years Day bowl or even a play-off game.

Potential MWC play-off schools;

1. Boise St.

2. San Diego St.

3. Fresno St.

4. Hawaii

5. Air Force

the rest of you lack support from your fan base to even be considered.

Potential New Years Day Bowl schools:

1. Boise St.

2. San Diego St.

3. Hawaii

4. Fresno St.

5. Air Force

the rest of you may luck into a good year every now and then and have a slim chance.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.