Jwherb

First Senate Plan to Replace ACA - the 2017 Patient Freedom Act!

Gotta love the GOP - they really do believe that if you just put "freedom" in the name of any legislation, then it must be good. 

Anyway... 

It seems like their initial plan is to replace Obamacare with.... Obamacare. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/23/gop-senators-unveil-obamacare-replacement-bill.html

Although credit where credit is due: I like the tone and message so far.  The parameters of the new plan seem neat (but as well all know, the devil is in the details). 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

9 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Anyway... 

It seems like their initial plan is to replace Obamacare with.... Obamacare. 

Well if that's the case, I can assume you are supporting this action? First "real office" day and the GOP is already putting forth a plan you fully support. Maybe this won't be so bad for you after all. 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

6 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

Well if that's the case, I can assume you are supporting this action? First "real office" day and the GOP is already putting forth a plan you fully support. Maybe this won't be so bad for you after all. 

You're sort of a twat, aren't you?

Actually, I've never really stated a position on health care.  It's pretty darn complicated and I don't think there are any perfect (or even palatable) solutions. 

That said, I'm on the record of saying a few things: 1. In Idaho, ACA seems to have been working pretty good, insofar as the exchanges being set up and the premium costs and deductibles.  Other states are obviously in much worse shape.  So we've been somewhat insulated here.  2.  I'm all for fixing ACA with a better plan. 

Now, frankly, that's not saying much.  And I'm fine with that.  I'm not convinced single payer is the answer, nor do I think health care insurance before ACA was working, nor do I think a simple combination of HSAs and cat plans will work.  The insurance companies seem to be resisting opening up state lines and regulations to purchasing health insurance.  

And no, I've never actually used ACA myself.  I've always purchased insurance privately. 

• Like 4

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

6 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Actually, I've never really stated a position on health care.  It's pretty darn complicated and I don't think there are any perfect (or even palatable) solutions. 

That said, I'm on the record of saying a few things: 1. In Idaho, ACA seems to have been working pretty good, insofar as the exchanges being set up and the premium costs and deductibles.  Other states are obviously in much worse shape.  So we've been somewhat insulated here.  2.  I'm all for fixing ACA with a better plan. 

Now, frankly, that's not saying much.  And I'm fine with that.  I'm not convinced single payer is the answer, nor do I think health care insurance before ACA was working, nor do I think a simple combination of HSAs and cat plans will work.  The insurance companies seem to be resisting opening up state lines and regulations to purchasing health insurance.  

And no, I've never actually used ACA myself.  I've always purchased insurance privately. 

This is too long for him to read. His brain is only capable of processing limited amounts of information at one time, take it easy.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

14 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Actually, I've never really stated a position on health care.  

Well lucky for you, you're literally posting on a forum right now. So now state for the record...did you or did you not support the passing of Obamacare as it was written? No matter the level of complication of the issue....that's a simple yes or no that people were asked to vote on. Would you have voted y or n?

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

8 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

This is too long for him to read. His brain is only capable of processing limited amounts of information at one time, take it easy.

1302615251-tj14685_022113_180715_712083.jpg

• Like 1

Other than single payer, there are exactly zero real options. I supported Obamacare because it was way better than what we had before and it has resulted in millions getting health insurance who wouldn't have had it otherwise, but if republicans are going to repeal it, the only replacement option is single payer. Otherwise, the working class base will turn on him.

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I supported Obamacare because it was way better than what we had before and it has resulted in millions getting health insurance who wouldn't have had it otherwise, 

Well then since this is the exact same plan, you must also support this as well. So one day in and you're already supporting the GOP health care plan? This is great....you probably never thought that would happen. You're probably wishing you had voted for Trump already!

12 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

Well lucky for you, you're literally posting on a forum right now. So now state for the record...did you or did you not support the passing of Obamacare as it was written? No matter the level of complication of the issue....that's a simple yes or no that people were asked to vote on. Would you have voted y or n?

I would have voted no.  I thought at the time they caved and it was pretty much rewritten in favor of the insurers.  Either go all the way to single payer and try that experiment, or do something else.  But what do I know?  

It was a bit sad, considering the Dems had a supermajority and they had a mandate to fix health insurance. 

Health insurance was never a priority topic for me.  At the time, I was single and young (maybe 28 or 29) and healthy.  I didn't have health insurance for a few years, then I had employer health insurance, and never used it ever.  I don't think I even went to a doctor for almost 10 years.  So it just wasn't something I paid a lot of attention to and, frankly, didn't understand a great deal anyway.  Of course I heard the political rhetoric, which was overblown and damaging on both sides.  But what else is new?

9 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

Well then since this is the exact same plan, you must also support this as well. So one day in and you're already supporting the GOP health care plan? This is great....you probably never thought that would happen. You're probably wishing you had voted for Trump already!

Well, we still have to vote on it to see what's in it. 

Just now, Jwherb said:

I would have voted no. 

Well since you didn't like the ACA (would have voted against it) and the GOP/Trump want to repeal it, you should be happy and support their cause with them. One day in and both you and Trump don't like the ACA. There are probably other common areas of interest that you share and you just haven't found yet, but glad I could help you find one. 

2 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

Well, we still have to vote on it to see what's in it. 

True...that worked to get it passed the first time. Why not try it again?

5 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

Yeah not really. This plan - as laid out and with no real details - improves nothing and serves only to take obamas name off the law. It's essentially useless.

i agree with the tpp thing, but i also think Hilary or Bernie would have done it too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

i agree with the tpp thing,

Damn....that's twice already! These next 8 years might turn out great for you!

3 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Yeah not really.

But one step at a time right? The first step is to repeal a law that you said yourself, you would have voted against. This is a win for you. 

4 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

But one step at a time right? The first step is to repeal a law that you said yourself, you would have voted against. This is a win for you. 

But I don't agree with repealing it unless it's replaced with single-payer. 

I also would have voted for it because the only other option was nothing. 

7 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

Damn....that's twice already! These next 8 years might turn out great for you!

I'm gonna be fine. It's the poor who will suffer.

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

But I don't agree with repealing it unless it's replaced with single-payer. 

I also would have voted for it because the only other option was nothing. 

I'm gonna be fine. It's the poor who will suffer.

You're going to have a Trump/Pence '16 sticker on your Subaru in no time. 

• Like 2

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I drive a Honda

That's not true.....all liberals drive Subarus. 

All along I thought the ACA would just basically be renamed by the Republicans.  Sure, a few changes might get made, and hopefully for the better, but I think they're going to have a really hard time getting rid of things like no lifetime maximums, covered preventative care and no pre-existing conditions.

I sincerely hope they can keep those important things and find a way to reduce costs.

• Like 1