wolfan8431

Raiders to Las Vegas confirmed

15 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And Oakland could just as easily have a new one in 15 yrs. They may be "broke" but all it takes is one billionaire to come in and build it. In 15 yrs, they will still be a better market than we are... UNLESS it is proven that this grows the NFL globally, which it very could in Vegas. The NFL could want that more than splitting the #6 market.

Really, I'm just preparing myself for the reality that we've hooked up with one of the most nomadic franchises in the NFL.

My understanding of this move leads me to believe that the $750 million in public funds is trying to set a precedent for the other NFL cities on what they expect if a team is in need of a new stadium. Free money is the best kind of money. 

• Like 1

Oakland had better start looking at doing something or planning something for the A's - The A's are now alone in that old stadium & have been wanting something new for years (as have the Raiders)............Oakland might want to concentrate on keeping the last team they have & let go of the Raiders - After sitting & doing nothing over the last 20 years for stadiums for the A's & Raiders.............the Oakland A's won't wait long to start their move rumors 

• Like 1

Just now, mundyc3 said:

My understanding of this move leads me to believe that the $750 million in public funds is trying to set a precedent for the other NFL cities on what they expect if a team is in need of a new stadium. Free money is the best kind of money. 

It is, but the NFL may end up wanting back into Oakland depending on how things go in the next decade or so.

And the NFL can want all it wants. There are less than a handful of cities/franchises that will put up that kind of coin to get or keep an NFL team. That's the reason the majority of these stadiums are mostly or wholly privately financed.

There's much more at play in Vegas because we can use the hell out of that stadium, while other locations are not as fortunate. They'd be lucky to get half the revenue we can get out of a stadium like this.

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Oakland had better start looking at doing something or planning something for the A's - The A's are now alone in that old stadium & have been wanting something new for years (as have the Raiders)............Oakland might want to concentrate on keeping the last team they have & let go of the Raiders - After sitting & doing nothing over the last 20 years for stadiums for the A's & Raiders.............the Oakland A's won't wait long to start their move rumors 

They have to do something or lose their last pro sports team. Got to feel sorry for the fans there. First NBA, now NFL, soon MLB too? Ouch man!

Just remember, the Thomas and Mack was lambasted by naysayers as an economic boondoggle as well. And we know how that turned out. It's a cash cow and elevated the city to new heights. 

Stadiums and the NFL may not have a positive financial contribution to other cities, but we're talking about Las Vegas. It's a whole 'nother animal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

How dirty would it be if we ended up with the A's somehow?

We'd have an instant rival town.

Just now, toonkee said:

For me personally I'd LOVE to see the A's move here..........the Raiders can slink off to where ever 

I'm not an A's fan, but I could get behind that team - The Raiders are a team I've hated for 4 decades so it's not going to be easy to get fired up about the Raiders.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Just remember, the Thomas and Mack was lambasted by naysayers as an economic boondoggle as well. And we know how that turned out. It's a cash cow and elevated the city to new heights. 

Stadiums and the NFL may not have a positive financial contribution to other cities, but we're talking about Las Vegas. It's a whole 'nother animal.

Vegas always proves itself to be the exception to the rule when it comes to huge entertainment projects like this.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I'd been thinking about that a lot actually. MLB has to be wondering how it misread the tea leaves on Vegas. If I'm Carolyn Goodman, I'm calling MLB daily about the Cashman property. Stop trying to convince the NFL of that one. MLB could work well there though. Even better, Symphony Park!

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Vegas always proves itself to be the exception to the rule when it comes to huge entertainment projects like this.

I'd been thinking about that a lot actually. MLB has to be wondering how it misread the tea leaves on Vegas. If I'm Carolyn Goodman, I'm calling MLB daily about the Cashman property. Stop trying to convince the NFL of that one. MLB could work well there though. Even better, Symphony Park!

Have to wonder now with NHL & NFL here if the market is too saturated and saturated too fast............to get 3 major pro teams, I think it might be awhile & not sure LV ever gets to all 4 

Pretty much only the top markets (population) have all 4 pro sports...............and the LV market would be THE smallest if we landed a 3rd team 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Personally, I would love MLB here as I really enjoy the rhythm, sounds, smells, etc, of a summer evening at the ball park, but I would be nervous about the economic viability. 81 homes games is an awful lot.  But I'm not worried one bit about filling up that stadium for 8 NFL games on the weekends.   

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Not a bad perspective to have, however...

The stadium will still be good for Las Vegas. Even if it loses money in the long run it was a necessary "cost" this city had to take on soon to maintain itself as the destination that it is. 

We're focusing so much on the Raiders right now but the possibilities of the non-NFL events are almost unlimited. Events will be created to just have them here. 

I feel like long term it will be great, even if Chokeland doesn't stick around.

You could make it smaller for NCAA finals, hosting the Super Bowl, soccer stuff, etc.

I could see multiple college football games being played there every year.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

There is a real danger here of Las Vegas becoming a Houston or Phoenix.  A city whose professional athletics teams are consistently mediocre, and this rubs off on the city's reputation.

Las Vegas should not expand professional athletics without a lot of thinking. Why would we want an NBA team when we have one of the most memorable CBB teams in the country? Why would we want baseball franchise when we already have two other professional sports teams?

Expansion at any cost is fomenting disaster. Las Vegas might've already gone too far with the Raiders. I'll give the city a pass for the Golden Knights, largely because of the irony. But we need to slow down here, and make sure we're taking care of number 1 (UNLV, college athletics) and number 2 (high school athletics).

Las Vegas was exactly perfect for creating a college sports dynasty town. Medium sized market with Platinum level accommodations. I remember the impact that USC athletics had on Los Angeles without the pollution caused by the NFL- they were essentially a major metropolitan's area first choice for athletics. Now, we may have crashed that boat, and we need to be careful to preserve as much from the wreckage as we can.

• Like 1

BYU, not sure if you know this but the WCC tourney is in Vegas too... What conf will you join when you can't win that one anymore?

5 hours ago, toonkee said:

5 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

For me personally I'd LOVE to see the A's move here..........the Raiders can slink off to where ever 

I'm not an A's fan, but I could get behind that team - The Raiders are a team I've hated for 4 decades so it's not going to be easy to get fired up about the Raiders.

Just my guess but I think it's more likely that the A's could eventually end up in Sacramento.

032717-vegas-stadium-cp.jpg

The Raiders have already announced their first promotion for the new stadium. Bring your Parole officer with you and get in for half price. 

16 hours ago, renoskier said:

Just my guess but I think it's more likely that the A's could eventually end up in Sacramento.

I wish, but Sacramento just doesn't have the corporate money. The owner has publicly said the won't move to Sacramento. 

I know they're still sorry that they gave the Giants rights to South Bay, as their dream would be to move to San Jose. 

52 minutes ago, bigd said:

I wish, but Sacramento just doesn't have the corporate money. The owner has publicly said the won't move to Sacramento. 

I know they're still sorry that they gave the Giants rights to South Bay, as their dream would be to move to San Jose. 

If there's no OAK/SAC/SouthBay option.........then that leaves Las Vegas, Portland & Salt Lake City as the top western metro area populations for a possible move if the A's want to stay in the west.........or do the A's go national in search of a new home and look at Nashville, New Orleans, OKC, San Antonio Charlotte as possibilities