wolfan8431

Raiders to Las Vegas confirmed

This has worked out exactly as the NFL wanted. There are basically 3 SoCal teams now, with one being just across a very blurred state line in SoCal's favorite playground. The LA Rams are happy (as are the NFL who get new offices near the new stadium), the NFL did it's best to somewhat limit the damage of the Chargers moving to LA by blocking any idea of the Raiders moving to San Diego (and I would imagine SD is forever blacklisted from a NFL team going forward), and now granted the Raiders a home that is only a couple hours drive from a huge Raider Nation hotbed. Add on the huge public gift by Las Vegas and the state of Nevada, and now when expansion talks heat up again in a couple of years the Bay Area is at the top of the list for a new billionaire to join the club and fill the void without having to worry about public money (someone like a Larry Ellison).

Goodell is an idiot when it comes to commissioning the actual game, but damn is he quite the business man. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Just like they can dig up money for college basketball coaches too.

This state's priorities have always been out of whack.

And no amount of money will fix LV schools. Busting up the bloated, bureaucratic behemoth that is CCSD will be a start. And that is finally happening.

Funding never was the biggest issue for CCSD. It was always administrating one of the largest and fastest growing school districts.

CCSD has some relatively unique challenges (like how are testing average expected to be good when 20% of the kids entering the system have a language barrier?) and I agree that throwing money at it will not solve all our problems but funding is still a big part of the issue. I'm on the site council for my son's school and I see the budget line by line.

Look up per pupil spending and see how we rank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Pirates Booty.... :lol:

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

23 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

I love rebel fans. The gift that keeps on giving. 

Great! So let me know when Boise is moving into a $2 billion dollar stadium that will be one of the most technologically advanced in the world...I guess I missed that memo. My apologies. 

13 hours ago, toonkee said:

CCSD has some relatively unique challenges (like how are testing average expected to be good when 20% of the kids entering the system have a language barrier?) and I agree that throwing money at it will not solve all our problems but funding is still a big part of the issue. I'm on the site council for my son's school and I see the budget line by line.

Look up per pupil spending and see how we rank.

And we rank really low in teacher pay too. So the money is going somewhere, but not to the right place. If you have a leaky pipe, increasing the water supply doesn't fix it. Until we fix the structural issues around the CCSD, we can't fix the funding issue. I do agree that funding is inadequate though.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 8:09 AM, TheDoggFather said:

The writer must not get out much because despite being in the same state, he's quite uninformed about Los Angeles. Neither the city nor the county of L.A. have contributed a dime toward the Rams and Chargers moves. To my knowledge even the Rams playing temporarily in the Coliseum won't be on the public dole. Although Inglewood will be giving the Rams a bunch of tax breaks, the world's most expensive stadium - about $500 million more than the LV stadium - will be built entirely with private funds. Folks in other states can criticize California all they want and it definitely has warts but no way would the legislature of this state ever allocate $750 million to help build a stadium for a professional sports team.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 1/14/2017 at 7:53 AM, crixus said:

The Raiders moving to Vegas makes a lot more sen$e than the Chargers moving to LA. When the Chargers fail in LA (and they will), I hope San Diego doesn't take them back because Dean Spanos is a greedy traitor bastard

Agreed. The Chargers will never admit it but the Raiders moving to LV is definitely not a good thing for them. I've thought since January 2016 that the Chargers should be the Rams' tenant while trying to get a stadium of their own built in the City of Industry or even Irwindale since both tiny cities east of the city of L.A. have been trying to become big time for many years. However, half the NFL fans in those locations and areas to the east of them who don't care about the Rams (and most don't) who weren't already Raiders fans will now become Raiders fans. Therefore the Chargers just lost any chance of getting their own stadium built in L.A. county. I still think Orange County is probably dumb enough to build the Chargers a stadium since they've built venues for the Angels and Ducks so I'm inclined to think OC politicians would expect some folks to come up from SD if they would build the Chargers a stadium. So this is what I predict.

1. As you say, the Chargers are going to flop in L.A. county where almost nobody gives a damn about them.

2. A decade from now the Chargers will begin quietly approaching Anaheim about building them a stadium.

3. If a deal can't be worked out with Anaheim within 5-10 years, say by 2035, the Chargers will have become so disenchanted with Inglewood and San Diegans will have become so desperate for NFL football that a new stadium will be built in SD for the Chargers.

BTW, as an Aztec, I definitely don't want the Chargers to return to SD. However, for the reasons above, I'd now put the chances of it happening at 50/50.

Boom goes the dynamite.

52 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed. The Chargers will never admit it but the Raiders moving to LV is definitely not a good thing for them. I've thought since January 2016 that the Chargers should be the Rams' tenant while trying to get a stadium of their own built in the City of Industry or even Irwindale since both tiny cities east of the city of L.A. have been trying to become big time for many years. However, half the NFL fans in those locations and areas to the east of them who don't care about the Rams (and most don't) who weren't already Raiders fans will now become Raiders fans. Therefore the Chargers just lost any chance of getting their own stadium built in L.A. county. I still think Orange County is probably dumb enough to build the Chargers a stadium since they've built venues for the Angels and Ducks so I'm inclined to think OC politicians would expect some folks to come up from SD if they would build the Chargers a stadium. So this is what I predict.

1. As you say, the Chargers are going to flop in L.A. county where almost nobody gives a damn about them.

2. A decade from now the Chargers will begin quietly approaching Anaheim about building them a stadium.

3. If a deal can't be worked out with Anaheim within 5-10 years, say by 2035, the Chargers will have become so disenchanted with Inglewood and San Diegans will have become so desperate for NFL football that a new stadium will be built in SD for the Chargers.

BTW, as an Aztec, I definitely don't want the Chargers to return to SD. However, for the reasons above, I'd now put the chances of it happening at 50/50.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Chargers don't move back to SD at some point. I'd also be surprised if the Raiders stay here more than 15 yrs. I think both teams go back home to shiny new stadiums.

As for Vegas, we will always have events to use the stadium for, so it will hurt to be scorned, but we'll be ok.

OTOH, maybe both stay in their new homes for forever?

59 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I believe it was in the 80's Irwindale wanted to build a stadium in a used gravel pit so they approached the Raiders.  Al Davis said he'd take look at it if Irwindale gave him $10 mill.  The Army Corps of Engineers looked at it & said environmentally it can't be done.  So it fell through but Davis kept the $10 mill.  Just how dumb are some pols?     

As my friend said, considering the Raiders moved away once before the movers and shakers in Oakland were as on notice about the potential for them to leave as on notice gets yet they had 22(?) years to get a new stadium built but didn't/couldn't get it done. The team is loved there and that's my original home turf so it's a bit depressing they're leaving once again but the City of Oakland and Alameda County have shown a shocking lack of leadership so I see no way they would even consider moving back without a stadium first being built.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I'd be pretty surprised if the Chargers don't move back to SD at some point. I'd also be surprised if the Raiders stay here more than 15 yrs. I think both teams go back home to shiny new stadiums.

As for Vegas, we will always have events to use the stadium for, so it will hurt to be scorned, but we'll be ok.

OTOH, maybe both stay in their new homes for forever?

Why would the Raiders move in 15 years? Oakland has no money. They still won't have money in 15 years. Plus 15 years is incredibly short shelf life for a stadium.

7 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

I believe it was in the 80's Irwindale wanted to build a stadium in a used gravel pit so they approached the Raiders.  Al Davis said he'd take look at it if Irwindale gave him $10 mill.  The Army Corps of Engineers looked at it & said environmentally it can't be done.  So it fell through but Davis kept the $10 mill.  Just how dumb are some pols?     

I don't remember the Army Corps thing but they were going to build in a gravel pit. Maybe there were environmental problems with that somehow? I do recall Irwindale giving Al the $10M just to agree to sit tight and desist from negotiating with L.A. while a feasibility study was performed and since that money was unrefundable, once the study revealed some unanticipated problems that would have increased the cost of building the stadium, Al bailed and kept the $10M. IIRC, back then $10M was about the city's budget for an entire fiscal year. Al could be such a prick.

Boom goes the dynamite.

32 minutes ago, mundyc3 said:

In a stadium that was built originally in 1921. This is a brand new stadium.

And Oakland could just as easily have a new one in 15 yrs. They may be "broke" but all it takes is one billionaire to come in and build it. In 15 yrs, they will still be a better market than we are... UNLESS it is proven that this grows the NFL globally, which it very could in Vegas. The NFL could want that more than splitting the #6 market.

Really, I'm just preparing myself for the reality that we've hooked up with one of the most nomadic franchises in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And Oakland could just as easily have a new one in 15 yrs. They may be "broke" but all it takes is one billionaire to come in and build it. In 15 yrs, they will still be a better market than we are... UNLESS it is proven that this grows the NFL globally, which it very could in Vegas. The NFL could want that more than splitting the #6 market.

Really, I'm just preparing myself for the reality that we've hooked up with one of the most nomadic franchises in the NFL.

Not a bad perspective to have, however...

The stadium will still be good for Las Vegas. Even if it loses money in the long run it was a necessary "cost" this city had to take on soon to maintain itself as the destination that it is. 

We're focusing so much on the Raiders right now but the possibilities of the non-NFL events are almost unlimited. Events will be created to just have them here. 

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Not a bad perspective to have, however...

The stadium will still be good for Las Vegas. Even if it loses money in the long run it was a necessary "cost" this city had to take on soon to maintain itself as the destination that it is. 

We're focusing so much on the Raiders right now but the possibilities of the non-NFL events are almost unlimited. Events will be created to just have them here. 

Exactly, and that's why I'm not concerned. This stadium was necessary for Vegas to continue growing, and as I said in a few posts up, we will be fine if the Raiders go. No place can bring in events like Vegas, and this opens up a whole new category of events.

• Like 1