mugtang

Chargers moving to Los Angeles.

6 minutes ago, k5james said:

I guarantee they'll make the dividing lines of campus such that they'll be able to sell alcohol.

you think the complaining is bad today, wait until people realize there wont be anymore tailgating :(

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Just now, Dirtball said:

you think the complaining is bad today, wait until people realize there wont be anymore tailgating :(

There will be tailgating.  It'll just be different.  You think that river park is going to sit there empty on game days?

not sure, I don't care though. Ill hit up the bars.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

7 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

They're making noises like the $100 mil is essentially in their pocket.  Bonds are a bit trickier.  The CSU system issues what are called system wide revenue bonds for revenue generating projects such as parking garages, student housing etc. Educational infrastructure  is funded through appropriations.  The tricky part is that recently, the legislature has inserted itself into the revenue bond process , formally handled  autonomously by the CSU board,requiring a legislative approval of projects because they noticed revenues on many of the projects are not meeting the required threshold forcing the state to back stop from the general fund.  there is also the issue of the student fee freeze, not sure if that's still operative, disallowing any increases which shuts down an avenue used in the past to fund amenities on campus. I think a concerted fund drive could probably raise another $100 mil or so.  To get the stadium done, it almost has to come from donations IMO.

Interesting.  Thanks for the insight.  Given some of the issues previously with SDSU raising cash do you have a whale donor who will fund a big chunk?  In my experience it's hard to nickle and dime these projects.

6 hours ago, k5james said:

I don't see how it could remain grass.  They're talking about a MLS, NASL, USL and SDSU games going on at that place.  I don't see any way for grass to survive all of that.

Bullshit, real soccer is played on real grass.  5 of 22 MLS teams play on an artificial surface and I'm pretty sure they all bitch about it. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Bullshit, real soccer is played on real grass.  5 of 22 MLS teams play on an artificial surface and I'm pretty sure they all bitch about it. 

Duh, grass is ideal for both sports but with that much use on one field I don't see how it could survive.

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Interesting.  Thanks for the insight.  Given some of the issues previously with SDSU raising cash do you have a whale donor who will fund a big chunk?  In my experience it's hard to nickle and dime these projects.

They tend to do pretty well fund raising for specific projects. There are a group of well off donors that have been pretty generous over the years. Some of them are involved in this project. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

14 hours ago, k5james said:

There will be tailgating.  It'll just be different.  You think that river park is going to sit there empty on game days?

Alcohol not allowed at current city parks. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

9 hours ago, renoskier said:

Tijuana plays on turf. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Just now, AztecSU said:

I remember how drinking at Kate Sessions was supposed to end...

Glass bottle are outlawed at Qualcomm too.  I guess I imagined all those Pacificos and Negra Modelos into my stomach.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 10:38 PM, renoskier said:

According to an article I read somewhere, they definitely WANT to play soccer on the real stuff.

A study cited in the article showed an abnormally high incidence of cancer among goalkeepers of teams playing in artificial turf stadiums. The theory behind the association drawn between the two makes sense. That is, if you check slo-mo video of players starting and stopping abruptly around the goal mouth, a significant amount of dust is created and the great majority of that dust is the artificial turf and when one is playing soccer, one's breathing is accelerated so players inhale a lot of that toxic stuff in front of the net. So it's been my understanding that MLS has been discouraging its franchises from using artificial turf.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

According to an article I read somewhere, they definitely WANT to play soccer on the real stuff.

A study cited in the article showed an abnormally high incidence of cancer among goalkeepers of teams playing in artificial turf stadiums. The theory behind the association drawn between the two makes sense. That is, if you check slo-mo video of players starting and stopping abruptly around the goal mouth, a significant amount of dust is created and the great majority of that dust is the artificial turf and when one is playing soccer, one's breathing is accelerated so players inhale a lot of that toxic stuff in front of the net. So it's been my understanding that MLS has been discouraging its franchises from using artificial turf.

I thought they were tracing it to the rubber pellets?

But I think a fair point has been raised, how are they going to keep grass when it is getting trampled for soccer, football, and whatever events they throw in there?

8 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

But I think a fair point has been raised, how are they going to keep grass when it is getting trampled for soccer, football, and whatever events they throw in there?

What I meant was dust not from terra firma but from degradation of those pellets but thanks for helping me clarify.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

The sod has mesh which the roots grow through.  That's why you don't see chunks of sod flying up like in the old days.  The NFL's sod squad has also perfected replacing damaged natural turf.  I would think the soccer crowd is familiar with it too.  It's probably a cost factor to use artificial turf for those franchises that play outdoors.

On 1/24/2017 at 0:38 AM, renoskier said:

And 4 are secondary tenants who share with a pro football team - Atlanta, Vancouver (both also domes), Seattle, New England.  The 5th is Portland, and the city of Portland owns their stadium.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On January 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM, Dirtball said:

I have season tickets to The Citadel games, and our stadium is "On Campus." Alcohol is authorized and encouraged at tailgates. Schools are able to allow this.