mugtang

Chargers moving to Los Angeles.

Just now, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

It's was actually a Clippers "home game".  Not a season ticket holder, but I try to go to a few games a year. 

Man I would love to see a Lakers game.  Do not have a rooting interest in the NBA but I love watching it.

6 hours ago, sactowndog said:

If SDSU had a huge endowment to use for development that would be one thing.  But your endowment is only $209M.  More than Fresno at $166M but a far cry from USC $4.6B, UCLA $3.33B or even Pomona College $2.1B

Personally,  I would like to see them sell Cal State San Marcos property and merge the campus into SDSU, and fund SDSU west reducing administrative costs.   We need fewer and larger Cal State System schools.   

CSU San Marcos was originally a satellite campus of SDSU. It isn't going to revert back. Also, no school I know of uses its endowment to build a football stadium. Endowments are intended to be rainy day funds exclusively for academic purposes and that should not change.

• Like 3

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Jealousy of what?   I want to see it happen but SDSU isn't exactly a fund raising powerhouse.   But if UCSD chipped in with their $1.2B endowment it could help.

Some people thought I was nuts but a year ago at this time I suggested on the good SDSU board that our school consider approaching UCSD about merging the two. The two already have a bunch of joint PhD programs and SDSU wants to bump up its academics whereas it's known UCSD wants to greatly improve its athletics. It's admittedly an out of the box idea and the legislature would have to approve but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

CSU San Marcos was originally a satellite campus of SDSU. It isn't going to revert back. Also, no school I know of uses its endowment to build a football stadium. Endowments are intended to be rainy day funds exclusively for academic purposes and that should not change.

I'm not disagreeing but they do use them for academic facilities and my understanding is SDSU west is an academic extension.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Some people thought I was nuts but a year ago at this time I suggested on the good SDSU board that our school consider approaching UCSD about merging the two. The two already have a bunch of joint PhD programs and SDSU wants to bump up its academics whereas it's known UCSD wants to greatly improve its athletics. It's admittedly an out of the box idea and the legislature would have to approve but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Interesting.   I would add we have too many smaller schools increasing admin costs.   We need mergers in the system to reduce costs.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:56 AM, k5james said:

That's what bonds are for.  The CSU system will make sure it's flagship has the money it needs to expand.

The CSU System can't even fund maintanence...

Deferred Maintenance Backlog

One of the lingering effects of the Great Recession is the deferral of maintenance on buildings and the continued depreciation of facilities and utilities infrastructure beyond their useful life. The CSU operates about 43 million square feet of academic building space across 23 campuses statewide.

At many of our campuses, the utilities infrastructure is obsolete, built more than a half-century ago, and in need of upgrade or replacement. The CSU continues to squeeze more life out of many outdated and overworked academic buildings, despite the ever-increasing financial costs. Further, the continued use of antiquated facilities impedes the educational opportunities of students and the CSU’s ability to attract and retain faculty.

The backlog of maintenance and utilities infrastructure needs exceeded $2.6 billion in fiscal year 2015–16. With an infusion of one-time and recurring funds from the state in recent years, the CSU has been able to reduce the backlog to $2.0 billion, when funded projects are completed. This is good progress, yet the backlog continues to grow at an estimated $143 million per year as facilities continue to age. Even if the state were to approve the CSU’s request of $10 million in recurring funding for deferred maintenance and infrastructure, this amount would only allow the CSU to finance approximately $150 million for needed maintenance and infrastructure projects—just enough to maintain the backlog at current levels but not reduce it.

With limited funding, the CSU can only target the most critical renewal and repair projects in the deferred maintenance backlog, including health and safety concerns at each campus (e.g., fire protection, structural repairs, roofing, HVAC, and elevators), to avert building and campus shutdowns. The CSU has also prioritized the utilities infrastructure, which includes electrical distribution, natural gas piping, storm and sewer drain lines, and plumbing and water systems. Any interruptions, shutdowns, or failures in any of the infrastructure areas will impede our ability to provide educational services in a safe environment for students, faculty and staff—and potentially result in additional damage to already stressed systems and infrastructure.

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

One of the lingering effects of the Great Recession is the deferral of maintenance on buildings and the continued depreciation of facilities and utilities infrastructure beyond their useful life. The CSU operates about 43 million square feet of academic building space across 23 campuses statewide.

At many of our campuses, the utilities infrastructure is obsolete, built more than a half-century ago, and in need of upgrade or replacement. The CSU continues to squeeze more life out of many outdated and overworked academic buildings, despite the ever-increasing financial costs. Further, the continued use of antiquated facilities impedes the educational opportunities of students and the CSU’s ability to attract and retain faculty.

The backlog of maintenance and utilities infrastructure needs exceeded $2.6 billion in fiscal year 2015–16. With an infusion of one-time and recurring funds from the state in recent years, the CSU has been able to reduce the backlog to $2.0 billion, when funded projects are completed. This is good progress, yet the backlog continues to grow at an estimated $143 million per year as facilities continue to age. Even if the state were to approve the CSU’s request of $10 million in recurring funding for deferred maintenance and infrastructure, this amount would only allow the CSU to finance approximately $150 million for needed maintenance and infrastructure projects—just enough to maintain the backlog at current levels but not reduce it.

With limited funding, the CSU can only target the most critical renewal and repair projects in the deferred maintenance backlog, including health and safety concerns at each campus (e.g., fire protection, structural repairs, roofing, HVAC, and elevators), to avert building and campus shutdowns. The CSU has also prioritized the utilities infrastructure, which includes electrical distribution, natural gas piping, storm and sewer drain lines, and plumbing and water systems. Any interruptions, shutdowns, or failures in any of the infrastructure areas will impede our ability to provide educational services in a safe environment for students, faculty and staff—and potentially result in additional damage to already stressed systems and infrastructure.

Cool story.  As if the system would hold back SDSU to make sure CSU LAs HVAC system is state of the art.

• Like 3

LA does not seem like a great market for the Chargers now that the Rams are back. Perhaps San Antonio would have been a better option? In any case, several cities have started to realize the money pit these professional sports franchises really are. I predict Las Vegas would eventually regret landing the Raiders if that deal goes through. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/16/sports/football/st-louis-should-be-glad-it-lost-the-rams.html?_r=0

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

32 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

LA does not seem like a great market for the Chargers now that the Rams are back. Perhaps San Antonio would have been a better option? In any case, several cities have started to realize the money pit these professional sports franchises really are. I predict Las Vegas would eventually regret landing the Raiders if that deal goes through. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/16/sports/football/st-louis-should-be-glad-it-lost-the-rams.html?_r=0

Grew up in SD in the days of Sid Gillman, John Hadl, Lance Alworth, etc, etc. I bleed powder blue and yellow, and I think the people of SD were 100% correct in rejecting the Chargers' deal. In no way shape or form should any city be spending tax dollars on building an NFL stadium. As much as it sickens me to see the Chargers in LA, it would've been worse to give in to the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k5james said:

Cool story.  As if the system would hold back SDSU to make sure CSU LAs HVAC system is state of the art.

Have you seen the make-up of the CSU board?  

One San Diegan.   The board is dominated by LA and SF with more Graduates of Claremont Graduate School than San Diego State.   In fact, Cal State Northridge has the most representation on the board.  

I share your vision of larger more advanced CSU Universities.   But if you read the make up of the board, I don't think they would share the same vision.   SDSU should build the west annex but it's going to take a massive capital campaign. 

https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/board-of-trustees/Meet-the-Board-of-Trustees

10 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Lol suds. Gonna play in a 25k soccer stadium. The only good thing to come out of this is you guys won't be able to say you had 40k at the game when it only seats 25k. 

Worry more about winning your division than our attendance.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Grew up in SD in the days of Sid Gillman, John Hadl, Lance Alworth, etc, etc. I bleed powder blue and yellow, and I think the people of SD were 100% correct in rejecting the Chargers' deal. In no way shape or form should any city be spending tax dollars on building an NFL stadium. As much as it sickens me to see the Chargers in LA, it would've been worse to give in to the NFL.

Ditto.

Dropped off all my Chargers stuff at Goodwill on Saturday. Drove through my old neighborhood yesterday and saw a couple piles of Charger stuff by the curb. Someone nailed a jersey to a telephone pole on my street.

• Like 2

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Here comes more foreign students.  Cha-ching, cha-ching.

34 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Well not from China as companies their only accept degrees from UC schools according to our Chinese exchange students. 

It's a big world.  We're not solely dependent on China anyway.  There's no shortage of foreign students in our system as well.    

4 hours ago, aztech said:

It's a big world.  We're not solely dependent on China anyway.  There's no shortage of foreign students in our system as well.    

Sdog is in serious Debbie Downer mode regardless of what's posted in the thread. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say