mugtang

Chargers moving to Los Angeles.

33 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I love the optimism, but we are as well known for the WTF game as we are the talent in our sorority system.

I think MLS is very shortsighted if they don't build at least 30k of permanent seats for soccer in San Diego. Horseshoe 30k and temp seat the open endzone, at minimum.  My two pennies.

MLS will do what's best for MLS, if they are the ones ultimately helping drive the development.  There are two teams in MLS averaging more than 30K.  Seattle, who's success from the outset surprised many, and Orlando, who are about to move from the Citrus Bowl into their own purpose built stadium - which will hold 25,500.  Every soccer stadium built in US/Canada in the last 20 years, and the ones currently under construction, was built between 18K and 27K.  And its working for them, and they prefer that stadium model.  The model for San Diego may be Toronto - BMO Field hosts both Toronto FC of MLS and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.  it was originally built at 25K, and expanded to 30K to both meet TFC's needs and handle the Argonauts.  And like most of these stadiums, it was designed for expansion as the needs arise.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

MLS will do what's best for MLS, if they are the ones ultimately helping drive the development.  There are two teams in MLS averaging more than 30K.  Seattle, who's success from the outset surprised many, and Orlando, who are about to move from the Citrus Bowl into their own purpose built stadium - which will hold 25,500.  Every soccer stadium built in US/Canada in the last 20 years, and the ones currently under construction, was built between 18K and 27K.  And its working for them, and they prefer that stadium model.  The model for San Diego may be Toronto - BMO Field hosts both Toronto FC of MLS and the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL.  it was originally built at 25K, and expanded to 30K to both meet TFC's needs and handle the Argonauts.  And like most of these stadiums, it was designed for expansion as the needs arise.

They are 50/50, at best, and SDSU will then be owner and lease to the team.  It is fiscally responsible to work with MLS, if you are SDSU, and it is developmentally responsible to hear what SDSU needs, if MLS indeed makes its way to SD.  SDSU can't push MLS, but SDSU realistically can't do less than 30k permanent seats.

40 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They are 50/50, at best, and SDSU will then be owner and lease to the team.  It is fiscally responsible to work with MLS, if you are SDSU, and it is developmentally responsible to hear what SDSU needs, if MLS indeed makes its way to SD.  SDSU can't push MLS, but SDSU realistically can't do less than 30k permanent seats.

Even better, we are initially 50/50 then eventually we own it

5 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

UNLV did the north end zone seats to increase capacity to around 40k for a few years under Robinson.  Pretty sure we had some games vs. BYU and Wisconsin that pulled in like 43k.

Yep - The LV Bowl has used temporary stands in the north end zone.........think one or two of the Wisconsin at UNLV games..........and the old WAC16 FB Championship games 

SBS has lost some seats due to widening the area of the field by removing those first 3 or 4 rows that used to be down low............but in a pinch, for a year or two SBS could house the Raiders and cram 43,000 in ............the article says the current Oakland Staium only seats 53K + and the sight lines in SBS are better than in Oakland 

20 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

if you do think you're getting an invite because of a new stadium, that is just silly silly. So many example to show that means very little.  State needs to up their attendance, beat FCS and Sunbelt teams more often and then hope for a crazy miracle in 10 years. 

I don't think that. What I think is it will help.

That said, if SDSU goes ahead and builds a stadium with 20K permanent seats and 10K temporary ones as speculated in a newspaper article today, we'll at least shoot ourselves in the foot if not be the laughingstock of college football. Of course, we COULD have our eyes on an invitation to the Sun Belt.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest Cowboy Junky
4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't think that. What I think is it will help.

That said, if SDSU goes ahead and builds a stadium with 20K permanent seats and 10K temporary ones as speculated in a newspaper article today, we'll at least shoot ourselves in the foot if not be the laughingstock of college football. Of course, we COULD have our eyes on an invitation to the Sun Belt.

Say it ain't so. You guys really aren't going to get all "San Diego Statey" on this stadium build.....are you?

3 hours ago, k5james said:

The guy wrote an editorial advocating the shutting down of SDSU football.  He's far from an impartial newsman.  Everything he writes about SDSU football will have a negative slant.

As I said on your board, if our administration is in fact considering building a stadium which includes 20K permanent seats and 10K temporary ones, that's FUBAR to a power of ten. No way you say? Don't forget, man, this is San Diego State we're talking about.

20K+10K? If they build it, I won't come.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

As I said on your board, if our administration is in fact considering building a stadium which includes 20K permanent seats and 10K temporary ones, that's FUBAR to a power of ten. No way you say? Don't forget, man, this is San Diego State we're talking about.

That is insane. You have to be kidding. 

kat.jpg

kat.jpg

5 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

It comes from a U-T column by Mark Zeigler, who editorialized 10 years ago that SDSU should drop football. Zeigler is a Stanford grad who has always looked down on our school for the unwashed masses. It's known the MLS wants stadia with only about 20K seats and SDSU has discussed partnering with the MLS to build one so it's not necessarily disingenuous of Zeigler to write that. Still, if I was SDSU President Hirshman, I would quietly point out that Zeigler is POS.

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It comes from a U-T column by Mark Zeigler, who editorialized 10 years ago that SDSU should drop football. Zeigler is a Stanford grad who has always looked down on our school for the unwashed masses. It's known the MLS wants stadia with only about 20K seats and SDSU has discussed partnering with the MLS to build one so it's not necessarily disingenuous of Zeigler to write that. Still, if I was SDSU President Hirshman, I would quietly point out that Zeigler is POS.

I remember the UT suggesting that SDSU drop football. But I'm sure most of that was upsetting people to increase readership. With all the Mexicans in SD, they could fill a soccer coliseum. 

kat.jpg

7 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I remember the UT suggesting that SDSU drop football. But I'm sure most of that was upsetting people to increase readership.

It probably should be noted that Zeigler column came right after the firing of Tom Craft. Included in the harm Craft did to SDSU was to turn the U-T against us. Craft claimed they were out to get him simply because the U-T did its job in reporting the illegal beach workouts, his slapping of an O-lineman in a team meeting, his alleged intoxication on the road trip to Idaho and other improprieties committed in 2002-2005. What an awful hire Tom Craft was.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I remember the UT suggesting that SDSU drop football. But I'm sure most of that was upsetting people to increase readership. With all the Mexicans in SD, they could fill a soccer coliseum. 

Not as much now that Tijuana has a team in the highest division of Liga MX, which is a couple notches better than MLS. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I've met with the MLS investors. They ideally want 25-30k but they understand SDSU's concerns. I suspect it will be 30k with the ability to install additional seats for SDSU football. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Guest Cowboy Junky
17 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Not as much now that Tijuana has a team in the highest division of Liga MX, which is a couple notches better than MLS. 

A team in San Diego would automotically have a Ligue MX rival.

19 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I've met with the MLS investors. They ideally want 25-30k but they understand SDSU's concerns. I suspect it will be 30k with the ability to install additional seats for SDSU football. 

Whew! I would be okay with 30K PERMANENT seats with the ability to bring in another 5K temporary ones. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest Dr. Dre
5 minutes ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

Fvck

i really envy SUDS right now. I wish all our surrounding pro teams would GTFO

#SUDSstillSUDStho

STILL wouldn't help San Suck State. Speaking of sucking, how's your mom doing?