Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Momentum growing within NFL for Raiders’ move to Vegas

There is a growing belief within the NFL that owners will support a move by the Raiders from Oakland to Las Vegas, according to several people familiar with the league’s inner workings.

“I do think the Raiders will end up in Vegas,” a high-ranking official with an NFL team said.

The owners potentially could vote on a Raiders’ move to Vegas as soon as March, at the annual league meeting in Phoenix.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/sports/wp/2017/01/10/momentum-growing-within-nfl-for-raiders-move-to-vegas-chargers-fate-still-uncertain/

I hate to see teams move but that stadium up in Oakland is the absolute worst one in the NFL. 

With all of the ridiculous money floating around San Francisco and the rest of the Bay it's hard to understand why a team would move from there.  Isn't there private money to finance a stadium?

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

2 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

With all of the ridiculous money floating around San Francisco and the rest of the Bay it's hard to understand why a team would move from there.  Isn't there private money to finance a stadium?

Two 24 year old tech whiz bangs from Silicon Valley could fund a new Raiders Stadium and still have a cool billion (or 5) left over 

5 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Mark Davis is one of the poorest owners.  All of his wealth is tied up in the team.  He would need to bring on a partner, and I don't think he wants to share with anyone in Oakland or Vegas.

7 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Mark Davis is one of the poorest owners.  All of his wealth is tied up in the team.  He would need to bring on a partner, and I don't think he wants to share with anyone in Oakland or Vegas.

Mark Davis only owns 33% of the team.  He (actually his dad) has already brought on partners back in 2007 in addition to the longstanding partners they have had since the beginning of the franchise.  He is the GP and the partners are all LP's who have no say in how the business is run.  Hence, it really isn't feasible for Davis to sell more of the business and dilute himself and existing LP's just to use the money to build a stadium in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.

The ROI on a pro football stadium is not that great.  In fact it is horrible.  To sell equity in a business that has very high returns on capital in order to build a very low return on capital stadium is a horrendous financial decision - particularly when there is another city who is going to give you one for practically nothing (or on much more favorable terms).

The Oakland A's have it even worse off than the Raiders. It's a stadium built for football and is in terrible shape. The toilets overflowed from the locker room and filled the visitors dugout with crap water.

Image result for oakland stadium plumbing overflows

35 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Raiders, Cardinals & Steelers were all once owned by people w/o real deep pockets...........Rooney's (Steelers) Bidwell's (Cardinals) & Davis (Raiders) net worth is tied up in the teams as you said...........Rooney's & Bidwell's bought their teams way back when $10,000 could get you an NFL team - and like stock the team value rose over the years, but unless you sell the team, you don't get the $$$

Not sure if the Rooney & Bidwell families are still in or part owners of the Steelers & Cardinals...........but the lack of deep pockets was one reason the Cardinals went from Chicago to St. Louis to AZ/PHX & for years had trouble signing and keeping players.

Al Davis over the decades maneuvered himself up from head coach to "managing partner" of the overall investor group who owned the Raiders.

But Davis doesn't have the deep billionaire pockets like many other owners 

If the Raiders move to Las Vegas it could impact the Chargers staying in San Diego, according to this article. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/19211/raiders-to-las-vegas-on-nfl-owners-agenda-could-impact-chargers-staying-in-san-diego

Las Vegas and the Raiders are a match made in heaven. It should happen. It will happen.

But, don't quote me. I just lost six months rent on that Alabama game. Best coach ever my ass.

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

There is a growing belief within the NFL that owners will support a move by the Raiders from Oakland to Las Vegas, according to several people familiar with the league’s inner workings.

“I do think the Raiders will end up in Vegas,” a high-ranking official with an NFL team said.

The owners potentially could vote on a Raiders’ move to Vegas as soon as March, at the annual league meeting in Phoenix.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/sports/wp/2017/01/10/momentum-growing-within-nfl-for-raiders-move-to-vegas-chargers-fate-still-uncertain/

I got a new Raiders hoody for Christmas.

Now, I just need to take it to my screen printer and have 'Las Vegas' added.