cherrycrush1

Fire Noodle

He's the 4th highest paid coach in MWC. Only making 750k a year. To get an experienced solid coach like Tommy Amaker (just my preference) UNM better be prepared to pay him $1M+.

Last year Craig Neal received a 200K a year raise brining his total to 950,000.00 a year

http://m.koat.com/sports/lobos-coach-craig-neal-gets-new-57-million-contract/27933026

• Like 1
trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

Last year Craig Neal received a 200K a year raise brining his total to 950,000.00 a year

http://m.koat.com/sports/lobos-coach-craig-neal-gets-new-57-million-contract/27933026

Yikes. I feel for you Lobo fans. It looks like we both have lousy coaches and inept athletic directors. Its so weird not seeing both UNLV and UNM batteling it out at the tourney. UNLV, UNM, and SDSU are the original "big 3", and it should be that way. Its sad to see how far both of our programs have fallen lately. Hopefully everything gets sorted out before its too late.

The basic problem with UNM fans, and New Mexico residents in general, is that they are sheep. They just seem to get behind people and follow them blindly. From politicians to coaches, it's it doesn't matter... Folks still love Ellenberger, even though he presided over one of the biggest scandals in NCAA history. Ask UNM fans and they'll tell you that UNM was unfairly targeted. We saw what Dave Bliss got caught doing at Baylor. Does anyone honestly believe he didn't behave in a similar fashion at UNM? Alford never got questioned about his issues at Iowa. A beat reporter once reported that he was looking at other jobs (Missouri in particular) and he was reassigned. We have the highest paid AD in the league running a second-tier MWC athletic program and all UNM fans will tell you is how great a job he's doing. Paul Krebs has won about 10 football games in 8 years as AD at UNM. He's cratered 2 of 3 revenue sports (WBB and football) and about the do the same to the 3rd (MBB). Yet all you'll hear from fans his how well the women's JV badminton team is doing. Craig Neal, with no head coaching experience, should never have been hired. We've endured 2 years of watching make rookie mistake after rookie mistake. No accountability whatsoever. I actually think UNM fans are happier losing than they were winning under Alford. Just an odd bunch... This attitude is why UNM does not win.

• Like 3

The basic problem with UNM fans, and New Mexico residents in general, is that they are sheep. They just seem to get behind people and follow them blindly. From politicians to coaches, it's it doesn't matter... Folks still love Ellenberger, even though he presided over one of the biggest scandals in NCAA history. Ask UNM fans and they'll tell you that UNM was unfairly targeted. We saw what Dave Bliss got caught doing at Baylor. Does anyone honestly believe he didn't behave in a similar fashion at UNM? Alford never got questioned about his issues at Iowa. A beat reporter once reported that he was looking at other jobs (Missouri in particular) and he was reassigned. We have the highest paid AD in the league running a second-tier MWC athletic program and all UNM fans will tell you is how great a job he's doing. Paul Krebs has won about 10 football games in 8 years as AD at UNM. He's cratered 2 of 3 revenue sports (WBB and football) and about the do the same to the 3rd (MBB). Yet all you'll hear from fans his how well the women's JV badminton team is doing. Craig Neal, with no head coaching experience, should never have been hired. We've endured 2 years of watching make rookie mistake after rookie mistake. No accountability whatsoever. I actually think UNM fans are happier losing than they were winning under Alford. Just an odd bunch... This attitude is why UNM does not win.

sad but very true

as long as the lobo fans win a MWC tourney here and there, the fans are happy

With a good coach, Lobos make the sweet 16 last year without a doubt.  

One of the reasons i hardly go over to TLL is cause their fans (hotel stalking crew) annoy the S*it out of me

Love my lobos but not so much their fans (odd bunch)

Other than that, how was the play Ms. Lincoln?  :unsure:

• Like 1

This thread is step in the right direction.  Keep it going.  

Lol oh snap! Nothing but truth all over the post.

To add to this we had a quality football coach that took us to six straight bowl games yet UNM fans did not support him and Krebs pushed him out the door for Locksley. We haven't been to a bowl game since. What a joke.

I'm not really a fan of Krebs, a lot of NYC's points ring true. 

Playing Devil's Advocate just for the hell of it:

Krebs did hire Alford who rebuilt the basketball program from the doldrums of the Richie McKay Era (Rudy Davalos terrible hire). Although it looks like history might repeat itself  under Noodles. Next year will be the defining moment there. 

He did hire Ray Birmingham who has basically built the baseball program from scratch.

Lobo men's soccer has been a nationally prominent program under his tenure. Although Fish has been around for a long time. 

But the Mike Locksley debacle basically overshadows all of that (and rightly so). I don't even necessarily have a problem with the initial Locksley hire. He swung for the fences trying to find another Urban Meyer and it blew up in his face. I do have a problem with how long it took him to fire Locks and the fact that he didn't go after him for cause after the striking an assistant coach incident. 

I'm not really a fan of Krebs, a lot of NYC's points ring true. 

Playing Devil's Advocate just for the hell of it:

Krebs did hire Alford who rebuilt the basketball program from the doldrums of the Richie McKay Era (Rudy Davalos terrible hire). Although it looks like history might repeat itself  under Noodles. Next year will be the defining moment there. 

He did hire Ray Birmingham who has basically built the baseball program from scratch.

Lobo men's soccer has been a nationally prominent program under his tenure. Although Fish has been around for a long time. 

But the Mike Locksley debacle basically overshadows all of that (and rightly so). I don't even necessarily have a problem with the initial Locksley hire. He swung for the fences trying to find another Urban Meyer and it blew up in his face. I do have a problem with how long it took him to fire Locks and the fact that he didn't go after him for cause after the striking an assistant coach incident.

The problem is UNM IS basketball... The other hires good or bad are nearly irrelevant... Can't make a bad basketball hire majority of athletic department money comes from hoops... Have to maintain our faux national respect

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

It will be a long off season. By the end, UNM fans will be convinced they will win the MWC. 

From purely a 2015 players transferring in/players coming off of injury standpoint they have reason to be optimistic. Maybe not MWC title optimistic, but definitely not the shit show we had this year.

Cullen Neal returning, Tim WIlliams and Elijah Brown becoming eligible will help. 

A small lineup with Neal, Brown, Logwood, Goodman, WIlliams or a bigger lineup with Neal, Logwood, Goodman, Williams, Obi is much better on paper than what we rolled with this season. Of course it's all a moot point if Neal can't coach. 

From purely a 2015 players transferring in/players coming off of injury standpoint they have reason to be optimistic. Maybe not MWC title optimistic, but definitely not the shit show we had this year.

Cullen Neal returning, Tim WIlliams and Elijah Brown becoming eligible will help. 

A small lineup with Neal, Brown, Logwood, Goodman, WIlliams or a bigger lineup with Neal, Logwood, Goodman, Williams, Obi is much better on paper than what we rolled with this season. Of course it's all a moot point if Neal can't coach. 

Agreed. UNM will be much improved. Jury is still out on Neal, but there is some potential players there. Kuiper could be a recruiting steal as well. He's got the body and defensive skills to contribute right away.

The way I see it, the MWC could actually be worse overall next year which is crazy. Boise, WY, CSU lose key players. UNLV MAY be better, SDSU is still good, Utah St. is kind of a wildcard with a new coach....

UNM definitely could be back in the top 3 or 4

Agreed. UNM will be much improved. Jury is still out on Neal, but there is some potential players there. Kuiper could be a recruiting steal as well. He's got the body and defensive skills to contribute right away.

The way I see it, the MWC could actually be worse overall next year which is crazy. Boise, WY, CSU lose key players. UNLV MAY be better, SDSU is still good, Utah St. is kind of a wildcard with a new coach....

UNM definitely could be back in the top 3 or 4

There's that too. At the very least, I don't see the MWC being much better next year. Boise has talent, but loses Marks. Wyoming loses everybody. CSU loses a ton. SDSU will be loaded. Unlv will be loaded, but there's always the Rice factor there. If Vaughn comes back, it might be one of those things where they win in spite of CDR.  

Sorry PTR I barfed in my mouth when you mentioned Cullen Neal as a reason to be optimistic.'I am not excited to see that out of control turnover machine back. I see promise in Logwood, Goodman, and Williams, but one of those guys needs to step up and prove they can take over a game. I think Goodman could be that guy next year.

Sorry PTR I barfed in my mouth when you mentioned Cullen Neal as a reason to be optimistic.'I am not excited to see that out of control turnover machine back. I see promise in Logwood, Goodman, and Williams, but one of those guys needs to step up and prove they can take over a game. I think Goodman could be that guy next year.

He had one God-awful game tourney game early in the year (forget which one) where he was a turnover machine. He's definitely erratic, but the talent is there. Part of the problem imo is that he was trying to play fast with players that lacked the ability or basketball IQ to do so. A number of times for example he'd throw an quick outlet pass anticipating a flare out only to have the ball sail over the head of a player that should have be running towards the basket.  At least he has the ability to create his own shot and penetrate the lane to distribute. He'll be better/ less erratic along side guys that can score like Tim Williams and Goodman if the poor kid can ever get healthy. 

He had one God-awful game tourney game early in the year (forget which one) where he was a turnover machine. He's definitely erratic, but the talent is there. Part of the problem imo is that he was trying to play fast with players that lacked the ability or basketball IQ to do so. A number of times for example he'd throw an quick outlet pass anticipating a flare out only to have the ball sail over the head of a player that should have be running towards the basket. At least he has the ability to create his own shot and penetrate the lane to distribute. He'll be better/ less erratic along side guys that can score like Tim Williams and Goodman if the poor kid can ever get healthy.

He can score, I remember him having a good game against Marquette. I don't like his lack of ball skills. I like him more as a 2 or shooting guard. He is not a true point guard imo