cherrycrush1

Fire Noodle

So easy for other teams fans to see what is going on here.DD was a huge bust, he was not capable of being the lead dog and taking over games.

Delaney shouldn't have been a lead scorer I agree but this year they had no choice, and this year they should have ran the offense more through him. He was much more effective than Greenwood. Greenwood had a 48.2 TS% which is absolutely awful and much worse than delaneys.

I thought he was pretty valuable last year.

I thought that was more of a product of the players. You had some 3 and 4 year starters who knew how to win and had multiple seasons of success. That's what it looks like now to me at least. They also fell flat in the NCAA tournament like they did in years past.

I remember Neal making a big deal about taking that team on a deep tourney run and he did not deliver

I thought that was more of a product of the players. You had some 3 and 4 year starters who knew how to win and had multiple seasons of success. That's what it looks like now to me at least. They also fell flat in the NCAA tournament like they did in years past.

I remember Neal making a big deal about taking that team on a deep tourney run and he did not deliver

You could also say that Delaney not having great players around him played a part in him not having an amazing season this year. I actually remember Noodles saying that you can't put UNM's past tourney struggles on this current team. The team did not fall flat, we lost a 7-10 game

We were a disrespected 7 seed, should have been higher who lost to a 10 seed. That's an upset. Our team was superior to Stanford in talent and the Lobos let the Cardinal dictate the play and pace to that game.

We were a disrespected 7 seed, should have been higher who lost to a 10 seed. That's an upset. Our team was superior to Stanford in talent and the Lobos let the Cardinal dictate the play and pace to that game.

It doesn't matter we still played a good 10 seed. I will absolutely admit that losing to Harvard was a choke job but Stanford was a good team who if you remember went on to beat a decent Kansas team. Quit acting like we were this giant favorite, sometimes you just lose

You could also say that Delaney not having great players around him played a part in him not having an amazing season this year. I actually remember Noodles saying that you can't put UNM's past tourney struggles on this current team. The team did not fall flat, we lost a 7-10 game

What?!?!?!?!? The Lobos started the game down 16 - 20-4. How is that not coming out flat?

Yup. The guy lost his 3 best players from last year and had 3 starters missing for the conference tourney and somehow failed. I know it's too much to ask from sports fans but a little perspective would be nice

How about this for perspective: AFA didn't have a good team and was 2-10 in MWCT play before yesterday. USU had a total of 6 D1 starts on their team coming into the season & they were picked to finish 10th in the MWC this season. SDSU lost leading scorer Polee and 4* freshman Z. UNLV is currently playing with 6 scholarship players.

What?!?!?!?!? The Lobos started the game down 16 - 20-4. How is that not coming out flat?

Oh we did come out flat, but losing Stanford isn't some inexplicable loss. Stanford beat Kansas

How about this for perspective: AFA didn't have a good team and was 2-10 in MWCT play before yesterday. USU had a total of 6 D1 starts on their team coming into the season & they were picked to finish 10th in the MWC this season. SDSU lost leading scorer Polee and 4* freshman Z. UNLV is currently playing with 6 scholarship players.

I don't really see what Air Forces past league tournament performance has to do with anything? Good for Utah State. SDSU still has a terrific team, and uNLv had a bad year

I don't really see what Air Forces past league tournament performance has to do with anything? Good for Utah State. SDSU still has a terrific team, and uNLv had a bad year

The AFA reference speaks to their program history. Also, they finished 8th in the league this season. They managed to come into the MWCT and win a game. Who's terrific on SDSU? It's not like they dominated the league awards. No individual honors, 3 guys in 4 all-league teams (same as CSU, USU, others). UNLV, again, finished the season with 6 scholarship players. This is for context relative to UNM - it would seem they had more obstacles than UNM did, yet they did better and are still alive in the MWCT. 

To give Neal a pass is ridiculous. Guy coached poorly last year but was lucky to have a 777 on autopilot. This season was an unmitigated disaster. Longest losing streak since the 50's! 

I could understand giving Neal a pass if the results were a little better. I think everyone understood he had a rebuild ahead of him.

This season was beyond awful though. Didn't you guys set records for losing streaks? This has to be the worst season in decades, right?

And yes, UNLV feels your pain on this season. However, our injury bug was just as bad and the results were slightly better.

Most of the rational Lobo fans expected this to be a down year or a rebuilding year. This is especially true when Cullen went down and Goodman never got on track. But there's a huge difference between falling back to the middle of the road this season and being the 2nd worst team in a down conference. Honestly, I'm glad we didn't play SJSU a second time because they may have beaten us. The last six weeks was the worst stretch of Lobo basketball in my 30 years of being a fan. And it's not like the team is devoid of talent. Logwood has talent. Hugh has experience. Obi, although really raw has potential. Xavier Adams has potential (although it was maddening to watch how Neal subbed him in and out). 

Neal wore out whatever limited honeymoon period he had this season. I like some of the pieces he's bringing in for next year, but things have the potential to get really ugly next year if we don't drastically improve. 

I think most Lobos fans would have accepted a middle of the pack finish and at least a 1st round win in the MWC tourney.  The lobos ship was set on fire after the half way point and the ship sank against AF in the first round of the MWC tournament.  That is what has many Lobos fans wondering if Neal is going to be the man to get UNM basketball as a top tier program again.  

He has his work cut out for him.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg