cherrycrush1

Fire Noodle

In many cases it's better to have a clean break of the bone than to damage and stretch all of the ligaments and tendons that support the ankle like what you get with a bad sprain. 

In fact, the specific reasons for hiring him cited by Paul Krebs were continuity, familiarity with recruits, etc. Pretty funny if you ask me...

You weren't the only person by a long shot who was against Neal being hired. 

Also, quit lumping Alford and Neal together. Alford was a great coach at UNM and now we know how much he really meant to us. As I said when Alford was here and when Neal was hired, UNM needs a name coach, pure and simple. Great program, great fans, great facilities, but the remote location is tough. We can overcome that with a name coach.

Can't quit lumping them in together... Steve gave the blessing to Craig on the way out... A said if Paul didn't hire him he would at ucla. Besides Craig did keep Alford's continuity... 4 years of sorry recruiting, Steve lost to Harvard craig to Stanford... Both underachiever and get big raises...

They are the same guy except Craig doesn't dye his hair

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

That's funny, I had a left ankle sprain when I was 17 playing ball. I had a cast on it four weeks and was not comfortable running for another two weeks. It gets sore and sometimes aches to this day after pick up games.

I actually think very few sophomores in his situation on that team would play through it. He'd basically aggravate the injury every week in that scenario. Better to shut it down and rehab if you can (which judging from how the NCAA grants medicals with this injury for almost everybody), I'd say they agree. With my high ankle sprain the ability to put weight on it and run wasn't the problem after six weeks, the problem was cutting on the ankle and the aching that occurred after repeated strain on it. Mine occurred years ago, I did a 6.4 mile mountain hike yesterday and I still get aching in the exact spot where the sprain took place. 

His injury was not major like an ACL or an Achilles, but it seems to have been treated like one. It was a simple grade 2 ankle sprain. Sprains take 4-6 weeks of protection to heal, then you need to start moving. As you both pointed out, they may be sore for the rest of your life. My original point is that "recovery" should be a TOTAL NON ISSUE next season.

I actually think very few sophomores in his situation on that team would play through it. He'd basically aggravate the injury every week in that scenario. Better to shut it down and rehab if you can (which judging from how the NCAA grants medicals with this injury for almost everybody), I'd say they agree. With my high ankle sprain the ability to put weight on it and run wasn't the problem after six weeks, the problem was cutting on the ankle and the aching that occurred after repeated strain on it. Mine occurred years ago, I did a 6.4 mile mountain hike yesterday and I still get aching in the exact spot where the sprain took place.

I think people take pain differently. I broke my foot while on leave from the Marines. The next day I played 9 holes a golf. Three weeks later I ran a perfect 300 PT score. But ankles are different than feet. I think Neal was right to sit out.

swedish-alfup.png

I think people take pain differently. I broke my foot while on leave from the Marines. The next day I played 9 holes a golf. Three weeks later I ran a perfect 300 PT score. But ankles are different than feet. I think Neal was right to sit out.

There's definitely pain tolerance differences among athletes and people in general. Look at Phillip Rivers playing an entire NFL playoff game with a torn ACL. I broke my humerus in two places when I was in 8th grade and after a few months in a cast it felt fine. The long term residuals of a high ankle sprain were much worse than the break. When you get into ligament/tendon damage in the ankles, shoulders, and elbows it becomes a different animal. I agree that he was right to sit out. Like I said earlier, it'd be one thing if he was a senior on an NCAA team with players like Cam, Kendall, and Kirk. If that was the case, I think he would have played through the pain at 70 percent  or whatever. But with your entire college career ahead of you, why risk a setback or delay the recover to make a terrible team better. 

Not when he has the best team on paper since 2006

:stop:

I thought Locksley always had good teams on paper too? 

Davie looked clueless in-game coaching last year. Hope he buys an espresso machine or stocks up on Red Bull so that he can be awake for games this year...

Davie has done a great job bringing disapline to the team and weeding out bad apples. For the most part every game he has coached in, with a few exceptions, has been a competitive football game. He has done a fabulous job IMO compared to where the program was under the previous coach.

However at some point a lot of those competitive games need to turn into wins. IMO if Davie doesn't take us to a bowl game this year his job may be on the line.

I thought Locksley always had good teams on paper too? 

Davie looked clueless in-game coaching last year. Hope he buys an espresso machine or stocks up on Red Bull so that he can be awake for games this year...

Then if you follow UNM football as much as I do then you'd clearly see the main difference was simply coaching. 

Locksley was over his head taking a coaching job at the FBS level. 

roflbot.jpg

Davis isn't a good coach, UNM fans have simply drank the coolaid because anyone looks good compared to locksley.

LOL

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. 

Davie took over a program fresh off the death penalty that was the Locksley hire and on probation left by Rocky Long. 

His first two years he had to deal with a totally depleted roster with virtually no upperclassmen. Most of the quality Locks recruits got kicked out or transferred back East. 

Last year was the first year he actually had a full allotment of scholarship players on the team. All he did was win exactly 1 less game (11 total) in his first 3 years compared to what Rocky Long had (12) in his first 3. That's with RL inheriting a 9 win team the year before his arrival. Sure, lots of seniors were lost to graduation on that team. But still, the difference between what RL inherited compared to Davie is worlds apart.

Davie is most definitely on the right path to take this program bowling. This year he has the schedule and team to be an upper half Mtn Div. team. 

• Like 1

roflbot.jpg

Make or break year for Davie. It really comes down to the defense or lack thereof. With even an average defense UNM is a 7 win team next year. Can Davie field a team with an average defense? So far he hasn't. Another 3 or 4 win season and I think Davie "resigns" and go back into broadcasting. A 6 or 7 win season and we're rolling. Program will continue to get better.

I fell off the Davie bandwagon last year. Too many coaching mistakes. I guess we can take solace in the fact that Clayton Mitchem has no more eligibility. Otherwise, Davie would be trying to start him every week. No doubt he's brought more stability to the program, but his recruiting has been mediocre-to-poor (which is reasonable given the state of the program) and his in-game coaching has been terrible. Even with the program in rough shape, I still expected Davie, with him name, to land a couple of significant transfers.

I basically agree with PTR. 4 wins or fewer and he's gone. 5 or 6 wins who knows, probably stays. 7 or more wins and Davie is the toast of the town...

At least RIce allowed you to be rivals.com champions of the pre-season for back to back to back years. 

Neal is Rice sans Findlay Prep.

• Like 3