cherrycrush1

Fire Noodle

Lots of class Cherry crush. The recruiting class is not mediocre. You say the season went the exact opposite  than the way you thought it would...If  you understood hoops you would've known UNM's senior losses...existing team with 7 players(including Devin Williams with a few minutes playing time) with no major college experience...2 starters returning. expected ;point guard injured....I'd picked them 5th preseason and when Cullen went down knew UNM was in trouble

No fight in team at end of year?.....then how did they beat Wyoming??..Sure not all is well...Let's see what happens....I pick them 4th for next year... If they blow again then reason to get riled up..

Some call UNM' fans knowledgeable.....having been around them for ages I say for the most part, no.

Lots of class Cherry crush. The recruiting class is not mediocre. You say the season went the exact opposite than the way you thought it would...If you understood hoops you would've known UNM's senior losses...existing team with 7 players(including Devin Williams with a few minutes playing time) with no major college experience...2 starters returning. expected ;point guard injured....I'd picked them 5th preseason and when Cullen went down knew UNM was in trouble

No fight in team at end of year?.....then how did they beat Wyoming??..Sure not all is well...Let's see what happens....I pick them 4th for next year... If they blow again then reason to get riled up..

Some call UNM' fans knowledgeable.....having been around them for ages I say for the most part, no.

The team progressively got worse. The Wyoming win happen on senior night when the team decided to play for Greenwood the only fight I saw in the team since the @ UNLV game. Going on the biggest losing streak in five decades is all you need to know mountain! The excuses about losing a scrub like Noodle Jr. are laughable. No excuse can wipe away the collapse of last year.

Guest #1Stunner

Lamont Smith said at his USD press conference that Noodles is the best head coach he's ever worked with. Said Noodles is amazing. He blamed the losses on injuries and on one of your players.

Lamont Smith said at his USD press conference that Noodles is the best head coach he's ever worked with. Said Noodles is amazing. He blamed the losses on injuries and on one of your players.

Yeah, that's why he transferred. Everything that comes out of press conference is gospel, truths are revealed. Kind of like everything you read on the internet is true.

Lots of class Cherry crush. The recruiting class is not mediocre. You say the season went the exact opposite  than the way you thought it would...If  you understood hoops you would've known UNM's senior losses...existing team with 7 players(including Devin Williams with a few minutes playing time) with no major college experience...2 starters returning. expected ;point guard injured....I'd picked them 5th preseason and when Cullen went down knew UNM was in trouble

You're trying way too hard to butter up the bad situation that's going on at UNM. We are talking about UNM hoops and we're talking about a depleted MWC. UNM should NEVER be heading into the MWC Tourney playing the last place team. Not with UNM's resources. 

Even with a relatively weak overall schedule, Noodle couldn't muster better than .500 record. That's unacceptable at UNM regardless of the turnover on the roster. 

roflbot.jpg

Yeah, that's why he transferred. Everything that comes out of press conference is gospel, truths are revealed. Kind of like everything you read on the internet is true.

Especially anything that comes from you or NYC Lobo.  

Lol!  Yeah... the Associate Head Coach "transferred".  Your sports IQ is zero.  Stop posting.

Lol!  Yeah... the Associate Head Coach "transferred".  Your sports IQ is zero.  Stop posting.

Come stchas, coaches transfer all the time, they just don't have to sit out a year like the players do! :P

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

At this point I think talks of Neal as a complete failure are premature. Don't get me wrong, there are red flags all over the place, but I need to see what happens in year 3 before I'm ready to hop on the fire Noodle bandwagon.

Just to address a couple of points brought up in this thread.

1.) I actually give Ryan Miller a lot of credit for staying at UNLV. His relationship with Zimmerman's family and the kid himself helped to secure a 5 star recruit. It would have been sort of a dick move after signing Zimm by selling him on relationships to be like "see ya kid." I think that more than anything kept him in Vegas. Although, I'm not going to lie it looks pretty bad that Neal couldn't lure him back with an 80K pay raise and an associate title. As far as the assistant gig goes, UNM can't hire anyone until July because of a university hiring freeze. 

2.) Almost all of the coaches that have left Neal's staff did so to either assume a head coaching position or take on a more significant role on another team's staff. For example Craig Snow took a DII head coaching job at NM Highlands, we all know about Lamont taking the gig at USD. The exceptions are one coach that "left" back home when his Indiana recruiting pipeline didn't produce here and another guy whose name escapes me that left coaching all together. It's certainly not good to have coaching turnover, but it doesn't seem to me like these guys are leaving out of some sort of internal problems within the program (although I'm not at the practices so I don't know for certain.)

3.) Transfers/Lightfoot: The Lightfoot thing doesn't come as all that big a surprise to me. When the kid committed, UNM was a 24-26 win NCAA tourney caliber team and this last year was an unmitigated disaster. I get the feeling that Bobby Hurley was in the kid's ear and flipped to ASU. It happens all the time. This is the collateral damage  that you get when you have a season like last year's. As far as transfers go, AE really wasn't an MWC caliber player. He wasn't going to play much next year with the kids and transfers coming in. There's a lot of scuttle that Goodman is the next to leave, which imo would hurt a lot more because Jordan's ceiling is much higher if he gets healthy. 

• Like 1

Look this is the problem when you hire a first time head coach... And some guys are just career assistants. Honestly most Lobo fan doesn't want to see the truth. They want a sugar coated syrupy filled reporting... The last 4 years has been excuse after excuse after excuse for horrible losses in the tournament and really poor recruiting, mass player exodus and coaching turnover...

there is no more honeymoon and it is time to deliver at least an NIT bid this coming year...

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041

At this point I think talks of Neal as a complete failure are premature. Don't get me wrong, there are red flags all over the place, but I need to see what happens in year 3 before I'm ready to hop on the fire Noodle bandwagon.

Just to address a couple of points brought up in this thread.

1.) I actually give Ryan Miller a lot of credit for staying at UNLV. His relationship with Zimmerman's family and the kid himself helped to secure a 5 star recruit. It would have been sort of a dick move after signing Zimm by selling him on relationships to be like "see ya kid." I think that more than anything kept him in Vegas. Although, I'm not going to lie it looks pretty bad that Neal couldn't lure him back with an 80K pay raise and an associate title. As far as the assistant gig goes, UNM can't hire anyone until July because of a university hiring freeze

2.) Almost all of the coaches that have left Neal's staff did so to either assume a head coaching position or take on a more significant role on another team's staff. For example Craig Snow took a DII head coaching job at NM Highlands, we all know about Lamont taking the gig at USD. The exceptions are one coach that "left" back home when his Indiana recruiting pipeline didn't produce here and another guy whose name escapes me that left coaching all together. It's certainly not good to have coaching turnover, but it doesn't seem to me like these guys are leaving out of some sort of internal problems within the program (although I'm not at the practices so I don't know for certain.)

3.) Transfers/Lightfoot: The Lightfoot thing doesn't come as all that big a surprise to me. When the kid committed, UNM was a 24-26 win NCAA tourney caliber team and this last year was an unmitigated disaster. I get the feeling that Bobby Hurley was in the kid's ear and flipped to ASU. It happens all the time. This is the collateral damage  that you get when you have a season like last year's. As far as transfers go, AE really wasn't an MWC caliber player. He wasn't going to play much next year with the kids and transfers coming in. There's a lot of scuttle that Goodman is the next to leave, which imo would hurt a lot more because Jordan's ceiling is much higher if he gets healthy. 

When I read that part about the hiring freeze I had to search what that was about.  I thought we were out of the recession and I hadn't heard anyone talking hiring freezes in several years.  In doing so I stumbled into some issues going on at UNM.  I saw there was an 11% freshman enrollment drop this past fall.  And, on a five year average enrollment is down 5%.  Also, high crime rate on and off campus.  The drop in enrollment played into that budget shortfall and so now the school is looking at increasing tuition.

From an outsider's perspective things don't look too attractive right now at UNM imo.  I'm not trying to troll and I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on by the UNM homers.  But, I just see these crime/budget issues going on that may be contributing to coaching/staff retention. Could impact recruiting as well.   I don't live there so I'm basing my observations only on what I've read so I could be full of shyt.  Good luck and wish you guys well.

C'mon Bandito....you make it sound like the past 4 years have been a failure.....last year was bad. UNM did not recruit well Alford's last couple years....Mass player exodus???  Neal let 4 guys go last year....Myles, Lindsey, Banyard and Thomas....were they missed this year?  Did any of them end up at top tier schools.

Sure some Lobo fans don't like criticism....but many are understanding....last year fell apart for some pretty good reasons....let's see what happens this winter and go from there

Hiring Neal got the Alford players to stay but after that it has been bad, real bad. Also if the hiring freeze means you have to wait till July to hire assistants; you won't get any recruits. I thought Neal would have been a better recruiter since he was Alford's, but he better have more sons or UNM is going to be in some serious trouble.

When I read that part about the hiring freeze I had to search what that was about.  I thought we were out of the recession and I hadn't heard anyone talking hiring freezes in several years.  In doing so I stumbled into some issues going on at UNM.  I saw there was an 11% freshman enrollment drop this past fall.  And, on a five year average enrollment is down 5%.  Also, high crime rate on and off campus.  The drop in enrollment played into that budget shortfall and so now the school is looking at increasing tuition.

From an outsider's perspective things don't look too attractive right now at UNM imo.  I'm not trying to troll and I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on by the UNM homers.  But, I just see these crime/budget issues going on that may be contributing to coaching/staff retention. Could impact recruiting as well.   I don't live there so I'm basing my observations only on what I've read so I could be full of shyt.  Good luck and wish you guys well.

Uh oh.

UNM looks to be in deep shit. Get your shit together before you become SJSU 2.0.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

Just for clarification the associate job can be filled right away. The assistant jobfalls under the hiring freeze.

C'mon Bandito....you make it sound like the past 4 years have been a failure.....last year was bad. UNM did not recruit well Alford's last couple years....Mass player exodus???  Neal let 4 guys go last year....Myles, Lindsey, Banyard and Thomas....were they missed this year?  Did any of them end up at top tier schools.

Sure some Lobo fans don't like criticism....but many are understanding....last year fell apart for some pretty good reasons....let's see what happens this winter and go from there

I will just ask you the question about recruiting. Who in the past 3-4 recruiting classes has been an impact player? JUCO recruiting has been sketchy at best... HS recruiting... Logwood and who?

I know every time someone verbally commits certain Lobo fans make them out to be the greatest of all time. But how many have panned out?

Plain and simple Neal has two years barring any off court incidents... Get at least an NIT team this year or it will be ugly...

trm101.jpg?t=1279010041