Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

Obama's Farewell Speech

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Yes, he was in a unique, powerful position of influence.

How can you say that he intentionally left anyone hanging? Seriously, Jack, what does that mean? I mean, Obama pushed a law in that expanded medical care for poorer Americans, he passed a stimulus bill that helped millions get back to work, he talked about reducing the police state that disproportionately arrests minorities, he attempted gun control (I don't think it would have worked, but he thought it did). 

He didn't have a cooperative congress for any but 2 years and furthermore the strategy of the congress he did have was deliberately obstructive. He might not have been able to accomplish as much as he, or many, would wish but to say that he intentionally left anyone hanging doesn't seem to be supported by any kind of facts.

I'm not going to take a lot of time /w govt generated/skewed stats but in general labor participation is down, people on food assistance is up.   Not once am I aware that he held a neighborhood rally propping up the family unit, or once did he talk about parental responsibilities. He did not need congress to do this.  The people experiencing the basic breakdown of the family are the ones he left hanging. He saw no benefit to him.  Instead he propped up and met with BLM.

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

I'm not going to take a lot of time /w govt generated/skewed stats but in general labor participation is down, people on food assistance is up.   Not once am I aware that he held a neighborhood rally propping up the family unit, or once did he talk about parental responsibilities. He did not need congress to do this.  The people experiencing the basic breakdown of the family are the ones he left hanging. He saw no benefit to him.  Instead he propped up and met with BLM.

He talked that shit up all the time Jack.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/06/16/us/politics/16obama.html

“Too many fathers are M.I.A., too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes,” Mr. Obama said to a chorus of approving murmurs from the audience. “They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.”

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/19/politics/obama-morehouse-commencement/

"We've got no time for excuses -- not because the bitter legacies of slavery and segregation have vanished entirely; they have not. Not because racism and discrimination no longer exist; we know those are still out there. It's just that in today's hyperconnected, hypercompetitive world, with millions of young people from China and India and Brazil -- many of whom started with a whole lot less than all of you did -- all of them entering the global workforce alongside you, nobody is going to give you anything that you have not earned," he said...

..."Everything else is unfulfilled if we fail at family -- if we fail at that responsibility. I know that when I am on my deathbed someday, I will not be thinking about any particular legislation I passed. I will not be thinking about a policy I promoted. I will not be thinking about the speech I gave. I will not be speaking about the Nobel Prize I received. I will be thinking about that walk I took with my daughters. I'll be thinking about a lazy afternoon with my wife. I'll be thinking about sitting around the dinner table, and seeing them happy and healthy and knowing they were loved. And I'll be thinking about whether I did right by all of them."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/02/15/remarks-president-strengthening-economy-middle-class

It’s also an issue of the kinds of communities that we’re building. And for that, we all share a responsibility, as citizens, to fix it. We all share a responsibility to move this country closer to our founding vision that no matter who you are, or where you come from, here in America, you can decide your own destiny. You can succeed if you work hard and fulfill your responsibilities...

...Now, that starts at home. There’s no more important ingredient for success, nothing that would be more important for us reducing violence than strong, stable families -- which means we should do more to promote marriage and encourage fatherhood.  Don’t get me wrong -- as the son of a single mom, who gave everything she had to raise me with the help of my grandparents, I turned out okay.  But -- no, no, but I think it’s -- so we’ve got single moms out here, they’re heroic in what they’re doing and we are so proud of them.  But at the same time, I wish I had had a father who was around and involved. Loving, supportive parents -- and, by the way, that’s all kinds of parents -- that includes foster parents, and that includes grandparents, and extended families; it includes gay or straight parents.

Those parents supporting kids -- that’s the single most important thing. Unconditional love for your child -- that makes a difference. If a child grows up with parents who have work, and have some education, and can be role models, and can teach integrity and responsibility, and discipline and delayed gratification -- all those things give a child the kind of foundation that allows them to say, my future, I can make it what I want. And we’ve got to make sure that every child has that, and in some cases, we may have to fill the gap and the void if children don’t have that.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

“Too many fathers are M.I.A., too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes,” Mr. Obama said to a chorus of approving murmurs from the audience. “They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.”

"We've got no time for excuses -- not because the bitter legacies of slavery and segregation have vanished entirely; they have not. Not because racism and discrimination no longer exist; we know those are still out there. It's just that in today's hyperconnected, hypercompetitive world, with millions of young people from China and India and Brazil -- many of whom started with a whole lot less than all of you did -- all of them entering the global workforce alongside you, nobody is going to give you anything that you have not earned," he said...

..."Everything else is unfulfilled if we fail at family -- if we fail at that responsibility. I know that when I am on my deathbed someday, I will not be thinking about any particular legislation I passed. I will not be thinking about a policy I promoted. I will not be thinking about the speech I gave. I will not be speaking about the Nobel Prize I received. I will be thinking about that walk I took with my daughters. I'll be thinking about a lazy afternoon with my wife. I'll be thinking about sitting around the dinner table, and seeing them happy and healthy and knowing they were loved. And I'll be thinking about whether I did right by all of them."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/02/15/remarks-president-strengthening-economy-middle-class

It’s also an issue of the kinds of communities that we’re building. And for that, we all share a responsibility, as citizens, to fix it. We all share a responsibility to move this country closer to our founding vision that no matter who you are, or where you come from, here in America, you can decide your own destiny. You can succeed if you work hard and fulfill your responsibilities...

...Now, that starts at home. There’s no more important ingredient for success, nothing that would be more important for us reducing violence than strong, stable families -- which means we should do more to promote marriage and encourage fatherhood.  Don’t get me wrong -- as the son of a single mom, who gave everything she had to raise me with the help of my grandparents, I turned out okay.  But -- no, no, but I think it’s -- so we’ve got single moms out here, they’re heroic in what they’re doing and we are so proud of them.  But at the same time, I wish I had had a father who was around and involved. Loving, supportive parents -- and, by the way, that’s all kinds of parents -- that includes foster parents, and that includes grandparents, and extended families; it includes gay or straight parents.

Those parents supporting kids -- that’s the single most important thing. Unconditional love for your child -- that makes a difference. If a child grows up with parents who have work, and have some education, and can be role models, and can teach integrity and responsibility, and discipline and delayed gratification -- all those things give a child the kind of foundation that allows them to say, my future, I can make it what I want. And we’ve got to make sure that every child has that, and in some cases, we may have to fill the gap and the void if children don’t have that.

Yep, there are a lot NYT readers in the Chicago  streets shooting at each other...the same guys who attend commencements and read the WH website. 

26 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

Yep, there are a lot NYT readers in the Chicago  streets shooting at each other...the same guys who attend commencements and read the WH website. 

implied-facepalm.jpg

The first speech was given to a black church congregation in Chicago and the third was a speech given at Hyde Park Academy high school in Chicago.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Can I sign you to a long term deal in backing up my arguments? You seem to do it better than I do with better sources.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

implied-facepalm.jpg

The first speech was given to a black church congregation in Chicago and the third was a speech given at Hyde Park Academy high school in Chicago.

Game. Set. Match.

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

He's the first down to earth president of my generation. I felt he genuinely wanted to make our country a better place. His wife was great as well.

I don't follow politics as close as most here but I loved the guy.

This is complete idiocy.

If down to earth means completely unable to handle the job, maybe you are right.

His wife was a complete narcissistic bitch.

You really need to read Obama's own books.  The man is a worthless self centered jerk whose presidency mirrored the rest of his life.  Not one accomplishment.

I think every president before Obama genuinely wanted to make our country a better place.  I am not sure Obama cared more about the country, or more about lowering our country to the standards of the world.

9 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

implied-facepalm.jpg

...and what did he ACTUALLY DO other than the speeches?? Nothing.  The folks that were in that church were not the ones who needed to be.

7 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Game. Set. Match.

Yeah...a win alright, as long as we all ignore the record Chicago violence.    

Obama DID NOTHING, just  admit it...but the dude can make a speech. Again, he did not give a shit about the problem.   It was a calculation that he had more to loose politically that gain, Dems know they have the vote.

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

You mean being calculated the same as it always has been?

Before you say stupid shit, why don't you look it up, google is your freind. DOW Election Day 2008 9625.

Trump rally my ass. The timing just happened to coincide with very good economic growth numbers which came out in Nov/Dec. Which in turn allowed the Fed to raise interest rates. The overall market price isn't controlled by small time investors who might "feel" optimistic about a Trump presidency, it's controlled by huge hedge fund managers. They aren't driven by their emotions over the result of an election they're driven by positive economic news. The possible end of "quantitative easing" was really good news.

BTW, unlike a partisan hack such as yourself, they don't care who you attribute the "credit" to. There's just no denying that the overall economy has improved greatly during Obama's presidency.

I think Obama can be rightly criticized about Obamacare and for some foreign policy blunders but not about the overall economy.

HAHAHA,  only someone with complete tunnel vision would try to pretend the current market isn't a Trump rally.   Fox Business, CNBC, Bloomberg, the Economist, CNN Money etc. have all called this the Trump rally.  

The market reacts to news as soon as it hits. Not official "dates" such as the inauguration date.  Don't be stupid. 

5 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

This is complete idiocy.

If down to earth means completely unable to handle the job, maybe you are right.

You really need to read Obama's own books.  The man is a worthless self centered jerk whose presidency mirrored the rest of his life.  Not one accomplishment.

I think every president before Obama genuinely wanted to make our country a better place.  I am not sure Obama cared more about the country, or more about lowering our country to the standards of the world.

Gotta love bluerules. Fails to see the irony!

Guest RoscoesDad
2 hours ago, pokerider said:

HAHAHA,  only someone with complete tunnel vision would try to pretend the current market isn't a Trump rally.   Fox Business, CNBC, Bloomberg, the Economist, CNN Money etc. have all called this the Trump rally.  

The market reacts to news as soon as it hits. Not official "dates" such as the inauguration date.  Don't be stupid. 

I thought the Dow didn't matter and wasn't an indicator of a strong economy?  That's the line right wingers have been spewing for the last 6 years or so anyways.  Now all of a sudden the Dow matters.  Dow goes from 9000 to 19000 under Obama - it's means nothing!  The numbers are skewed and rigged!!!  Dow jumps 500-1000 points since Trump was elected - proof of a 'Trump rally".  Dear lord.

How long is it going to be before you guys start taking credit for the unemployment rate that you've pissed all over for the last 6+ years?

8 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

This is complete idiocy.

I just have to disagree. He was a good human being IMO, didn't feel that way about Bush or Trump. I feel he inherited a mess no other president has, but I don't follow politics as closely as you so I may be wrong.

Im just judging him on his character. He didn't feel like a typical politician to me.

7 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I just have to disagree. He was a good human being IMO, didn't feel that way about Bush or Trump. I feel he inherited a mess no other president has, but I don't follow politics as closely as you so I may be wrong.

Im just judging him on his character. He didn't feel like a typical politician to me.

Why didn't you feel that way about Bush?  

"I feel he inherited a mess no other president has"

Yea.....no.

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yea.....no.

Bush was just dumb as phukk.. You could write a book on his retarded quotes. No reason to go to Iraq so he created one. Started wars on both sides of Iran and wonder why they want nuclear weapons. 

1 minute ago, IanforHeisman said:

Bush was just dumb as phukk.. You could write a book on his retarded quotes. No reason to go to Iraq so he created one. Started wars on both sides of Iran and wonder why they want nuclear weapons. 

So retarded quotes means he is a bad person?  Obama has been Bush's equal on terrible foreign policy so if that is the criteria what makes Obama a good person and Bush a bad one?

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yea.....no.

Name a president in our lifetime that inherited the degree of crisis that Obama did - the recession and fall of the global markets, of course, but also a nation mired in war on a number of fronts and facing a growing, increasing, and unprecedented threat of terrorism....

Maybe Reagan?

Every president inherits issues from the previous administration, but it's hard pressed to find anyone that had the worst economic depression since the Great Depression dumped square in their laps... and oh, by the way, we just authorized a $700 billion bailout package because, you know, too big to fail, and we have to pay all of those executives who paid for our campaigns their golden parachutes. 

The more I think about GWB the more I realize that he was just in over his head, and he was being led and counseled by very, very bad people.  I do think GWB was a sincere, well-meaning, moderately intelligent person.  Maybe like Obama, I think he just found out that the "system" is so much larger and more than him and the office, and he played his part like a good puppet.  Same as Obama. 

I think this is a lesson that Trump is beginning to learn, and you're starting to see much of his frustration with it boiling over. It won't end well.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

17 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Meh, JMO. Don't feel like Obama would lie to start a pointless, endless war. 

Yeah, but there's pretty direct evidence that he did lie to continue pointless, endless wars.  And then that whole drone strike thing...

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

Just now, Jwherb said:

Name a president in our lifetime that inherited the degree of crisis that Obama did - the recession and fall of the global markets, of course, but also a nation mired in war on a number of fronts and facing a growing, increasing, and unprecedented threat of terrorism....

Maybe Reagan?

Every president inherits issues from the previous administration, but it's hard pressed to find anyone that had the worst economic depression since the Great Depression dumped square in their laps... and oh, by the way, we just authorized a $700 billion bailout package because, you know, too big to fail, and we have to pay all of those executives who paid for our campaigns their golden parachutes. 

The more I think about GWB the more I realize that he was just in over his head, and he was being led and counseled by very, very bad people.  I do think GWB was a sincere, well-meaning, moderately intelligent person.  Maybe like Obama, I think he just found out that the "system" is so much larger and more than him and the office, and he played his part like a good puppet.  Same as Obama. 

I think this is a lesson that Trump is beginning to learn, and you're starting to see much of his frustration with it boiling over. It won't end well.

He did not say "recently".  He used the word ever.

"The more I think about GWB the more I realize that he was just in over his head, and he was being led and counseled by very, very bad people."

Agreed.