Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

Obama's Farewell Speech

11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think a lot of it had to do with Obama's 8yrs.  We can agree to disagree.

Yeah.

After Bush it wasn't really going to matter who ran in 2008, the democrat was going to win.

After Obama it wasn't really going to matter who ran in 2016, the republican was going to win. 

I can't speak to earlier elections because I wasn't old enough to really understand the vibe of the country, but it doesn't seem all that different going back to Carter. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Go back to my first post on this thread and you'll realize that you and I don't disagree much. I only took exception to the idea that the Dems can't win on their ideas. That's nonsense. 

Yeah.  However, I think ideas are important and I'm not sure you can be elected without ideas.  Marketing and selling those ideas is how one gets elected.  You sell and market in two ways, empirically and emotionally.  Appealing to emotions scores one more points.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yeah.

After Bush it wasn't really going to matter who ran in 2008, the democrat was going to win.

After Obama it wasn't really going to matter who ran in 2016, the republican was going to win. 

I can't speak to earlier elections because I wasn't old enough to really understand the vibe of the country, but it doesn't seem all that different going back to Carter. 

I don't know Happy.  I had Hillary winning for most of the past two years.  The GOP wins in the US houses and State races I think were because of Obama.

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

I don't know Happy.  I had Hillary winning for most of the past two years.  The GOP wins in the US houses and State races I think were because of Obama.

I had her winning because I thought that Trump was just not really a republican, and so energizing to democrats, that she'd win. I thought that she'd lucked out in not facing Rubio or Kasich or Bush. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Yeah.  However, I think ideas are important and I'm not sure you can be elected without ideas.  Marketing and selling those ideas is how one gets elected.  You sell and market in two ways, empirically and emotionally.  Appealing to emotions scores one more points.

I think ideas are important, too. But we're in the minority. Emotion always wins out. Trump understands this better than anyone, and Obama understood it, too. Worse was that Trump's "ideas" were cynical and offered without details or explanation. Those aren't real ideas at all. 

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Didn't they pick up seat in both the house and the senate?

GOP left with the house, the senate, the White House and more than twice as many governors. If you want to spin that into a good night for the dems....be my guest. 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I think ideas are important, too. But we're in the minority. Emotion always wins out. Trump understands this better than anyone, and Obama understood it, too. Worse was that Trump's "ideas" were cynical and offered without details or explanation. Those aren't real ideas at all. 

I think Obama began the trend appealing to emotion, particularly using social media. Trump and Sanders were the only two candidates this past run that seemed to learn from Obama.  The Trump idea  was to hammer on everything that was wrong and not put up with anyone's shit.

38 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Ahh yes, the "Unemployment Rate"  that has millions of people simple just not being "counted" anymore.  And welfare recipients have gone up from 32M to almost 48M in the last 8 years.  The DOW is on a Trump rally, Every business person I've seen or read has said so as well.   The Market was at around 11,000 when Obama was elected, and it plunged down to almost 8000 after he was elected, and then in 8 years has steadily risen to about 18,000 before the Trump rally.  And the market was over 16,000 before Obama ran for President.  

You mean being calculated the same as it always has been?

Before you say stupid shit, why don't you look it up, google is your freind. DOW Election Day 2008 9625.

Trump rally my ass. The timing just happened to coincide with very good economic growth numbers which came out in Nov/Dec. Which in turn allowed the Fed to raise interest rates. The overall market price isn't controlled by small time investors who might "feel" optimistic about a Trump presidency, it's controlled by huge hedge fund managers. They aren't driven by their emotions over the result of an election they're driven by positive economic news. The possible end of "quantitative easing" was really good news.

BTW, unlike a partisan hack such as yourself, they don't care who you attribute the "credit" to. There's just no denying that the overall economy has improved greatly during Obama's presidency.

I think Obama can be rightly criticized about Obamacare and for some foreign policy blunders but not about the overall economy.

22 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Didn't they pick up seat in both the house and the senate?

With the GOP seats opening up, most everyone thought the GOP would lose one, if not both houses.  They kept both and won the WH.  And the real beatings were at the state levels.

21 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

GOP left with the house, the senate, the White House and more than twice as many governors. If you want to spin that into a good night for the dems....be my guest. 

I wasn't trying to spin anything, just stating fact. How long do you think the GOP will control everything?

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I wasn't trying to spin anything, just stating fact. How long do you think the GOP will control everything?

Hopefully the next 4 years 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

7 hours ago, happycamper said:

What are you talking about? Seriously, what are you talking about? He intentionally failed people who turned out to vote for him? So he had a chance to make a difference and deliberately did not take it?

Do you have any kind of proof other than "Obama liberal so literally everything he does is evil"? 

How can you say this and then turn around and make fun of "If I had a son he would look like Treyvon"? 

It seems to me that YOU don't give a shit about them and you're projecting. 

Do you disagree w/ me that a young black man, coming from Chicago, Prez Obama was in a very unique, powerful position of influence? He represented the best hopes for inner city youth in generations.  Being fully aware of the bloodbath, he intentionally left them hanging  Trayvon??? wtf?  where is that coming from?

Liberals only care about minority votes....nothing else.

19 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

Do you disagree w/ me that a young black man, coming from Chicago, Prez Obama was in a very unique, powerful position of influence? He represented the best hopes for inner city youth in generations.  Being fully aware of the bloodbath, he intentionally left them hanging  Trayvon??? wtf?  where is that coming from?

Liberals only care about minority votes....nothing else.

Yes, he was in a unique, powerful position of influence.

How can you say that he intentionally left anyone hanging? Seriously, Jack, what does that mean? I mean, Obama pushed a law in that expanded medical care for poorer Americans, he passed a stimulus bill that helped millions get back to work, he talked about reducing the police state that disproportionately arrests minorities, he attempted gun control (I don't think it would have worked, but he thought it did). 

He didn't have a cooperative congress for any but 2 years and furthermore the strategy of the congress he did have was deliberately obstructive. He might not have been able to accomplish as much as he, or many, would wish but to say that he intentionally left anyone hanging doesn't seem to be supported by any kind of facts.

44 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Definitely a safe bet there. 2020?

I don't think 4 years is safe. People like change. If one party controls everything, the Country gets tired of it. No way the full contol lasts for more than 4 years. I just laugh at the people that said in 2012 that the gop was dead and would never win again. Now look.....my how the tables have turned.