Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

307dude

Wyoming hires new Defensive Coordinator

11 minutes ago, 307dude said:

Scottie Hazelton. Spent last three years coaching linebackers for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Coached under Bohl for five seasons at North Dakota State, last two as DC and linebackers coach. Also spent one year as linebackers coach at USC and one year in Reno as DC in Polian's first year. 

Hazelton hired as UW DC

Nice hire in my opinion.  Bohl knows what he's getting.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 minute ago, k5james said:

Wait.  I thought they were going to throw big money and bring a big time guy here.  I was assured the job was too big for a MWC reject.

There's some irony here, but let's not go there.

Just connecting the obvious dots here:

Gus Bradley fired from the Jags on December 19th.

Wyoming announces that that Stanard won't be back on December 30th.

Coaching football is about as cutthroat of an occupation as you can get.

1 minute ago, Fort Fun said:

Too much money at stake to not be cutthroat 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

What might you be suggesting?

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hmmm.  The NFL experience usually is enticing to recruits.  In his only year as a DC in the MWC his defense finished 103rd in the nation.  Not sure what to think of this hire.

I think Bohl knows what he's looking for in a DC.  Hazelton may not be the best around, but he's probably going to be a pretty solid fit for what Bohl wants to do.  This isn't an offensive minded HC bringing in a DC to put it all on his shoulders.  I'm guessing this is a guy that speaks Bohl's language to the well enough thatBohl went after him.  It speaks a lot to me that pretty much as soon as he became available, Stanard was excused to make room for him.  He's probably not going to be the next Rocky Long in the conference, but I bet that Wyoming just got a lot better.  The real positive is that he brings with him experience with what Bohl has been trying to accomplish with Stanard.  There shouldn't be a big transition period.

We'll see just how good it works, but it's definitely an upgrade.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hmmm.  The NFL experience usually is enticing to recruits.  In his only year as a DC in the MWC his defense finished 103rd in the nation.  Not sure what to think of this hire.

That is where I am at with it.  I am not really sure what to think.  I would like to trust Bohl on this, but he also brought in Stanard when most would have told you that would be a disaster.  I know Klienam staying at NDSU messed up Bohl's plan somewhat, but still Stanard was a highly questionable hire from the start.  I hope has learned a lot from his stint in the MW before and that he will mesh well with Bohl.  

To be honest I didn't really know what to expect with the budget and location of Wyoming.  I didn't expect a home run hire by any means but 103rd does not have a great ring to it.

I do like that he is from CO and hopefully he can help pull more recruits from there.  It can't get much worse than Stanard so I am optimistic while being skeptical as well.

20 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Anyone know what system the two of them ran at NDST? Polian was married to the Tampa 2 so that could be a reason Hazelton's season at Nevada was meh. 

Cover 2

11 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And Wyoming went 2-10 in Bohl's second season and Pokes went last in points to first.  Judging any coach on 1 or even 2 years is useless. 
Of course Wyoming couldn't afford to go after any talented high school coaches out there or someone like that.... 

Hazelton is from Colorado and went to school there.  So he knows the area which will help in recruiting.  He is also the one that primarily installed the defense at ND State, they went from 3-8 to 9-5 his first year as DC and won the FCS Championship his 2nd year.  This is an outstanding hire.  I just hope we can keep him here for at least 3 years.