Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broncos4life

BSU football about to Helfrich

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Could have also been 12-1 pretty easily.  

Particularly if someone could teach our defensive secondary to catch a football once in a while. I think I lost count of the number of dropped interceptions this last year.

His holiness Chris Petersen went 10-3 in his final season here...and lost to Hawaii, Washington, East Carolina, and almost Nevada...with more talent than this Bronco team.

I'm still happy with Harsin for the time being...people need to understand probability and the likelihood of going undefeated is an unrealistic year-in year-out goal.  

And notice everyone that wants to get rid of Harsin will never offer a realistic alternative.  He is less likely to bounce to a bigger job then some up-and-coming coach and I think that consistency is what's going to keep us from the Fresno-like ebb and flows.

31 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

PREDICTION.

SDSU will win fewer MWC games than BYU will next season.

Well that's not very fair, given that BYU seems to play an *11-game MW conference schedule...

*Soon to be 12. I've heard you're personally in talks with Tom Burman to schedule a neutral site game at CSU's new stadium

7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

His holiness Chris Petersen went 10-3 in his final season here...and lost to Hawaii, Washington, East Carolina, and almost Nevada...with more talent than this Bronco team.

I'm still happy with Harsin for the time being...people need to understand probability and the likelihood of going undefeated is an unrealistic year-in year-out goal.  

And notice everyone that wants to get rid of Harsin will never offer a realistic alternative.  He is less likely to bounce to a bigger job then some up-and-coming coach and I think that consistency is what's going to keep us from the Fresno-like ebb and flows.

Actually, Pete went 8-4. Then left before the bowl game against Oregon State that dropped the team to 8-5.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A 6-6 prediction seems absurdly negative. Regardless, you have to admit the program has been slowly slipping under Harsin.

It is.  And when it happens, then you will understand where Harsin is at.  Question, what do you think Oregon fans thought before Helfrich last year on a 4-8 record.  Or Miami with Coker?  Yeah, feels way to similar.  

Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

I was only off by like five years but my opinion still stands.

I figured. And I was agreeing with you.

People seem to forget that even the last two "disappointing" years were better than the last year Pete was here in terms of win/loss. The team was young this year and a lot of people predicted 10-2 before the season started before an early season win streak started raising expectations.

Last year was way more disappointing for me personally than this year. I think this year's team about met expectations. I felt last year's team massively underperformed.

I think Harsin has benefited from horrible play from Hawaii, Nevada and Fresno. His record could be worse because to me, Boise isn't playing the same brand of football that it used to. And Boise is spoiled, but on the flipside it has high expectations for itself.

21 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Particularly if someone could teach our defensive secondary to catch a football once in a while. I think I lost count of the number of dropped interceptions this last year.

Man that was annoying.  DB recruiting has been off the chart the last two years.  Moxey, DSG,and Harsfield while fast and physical had hands of stone.  I expect improvement from the group.  It will also be nice to have a real two deep up front as well.

Really hoping Riddle takes some of those off season apprenticeships that were so common under Pete.  Just one or two special teams TD's would be sooo nice. 

2 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I figured. And I was agreeing with you.

People seem to forget that even the last two "disappointing" years were better than the last year Pete was here in terms of win/loss. The team was young this year and a lot of people predicted 10-2 before the season started before an early season win streak started raising expectations.

Last year was way more disappointing for me personally than this year. I think this year's team about met expectations. I felt last year's team massively underperformed.

5 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I was only off by like five years but my opinion still stands.

Agree with both you.  Most had us pegged for 2-3 losses.  I expect another 2-3 loss team next year against a little tougher schedule.  

i got bored and did the math for boise's average conference margin of victory..losses aren't counted, just noted after the numbers.  Pretty precipitous drop.   Feel free to correct my math if i screwed up.

2002: 37.3
2003: 29.0
2004: 25.6
2005: 25.9 (1 conf loss by 20 to #20 fresno)
2006: 21.6 
2007: 31.14 (1 conference loss to #15 hawaii by 12)
2008: 31.1
2009: 28.1
2010: 42.3 (1 conf loss to #19 nevada by 3)
2011: 28.7 (1 conf loss to tcu by 1)
2012: 19.7 (1 conf loss to SDSU by 2)
2013: 21.5 ( conf losses to SDSU by 3 and Fresno by 1)
2014: 15.8 (1 conf loss to AFA by 14)
2015: 30.2 (3 conf losses to UNM (7), AFA (7), USU (26))
2016: 18.5 (conf losses to AFA by 7, Wyo by 2)

2015 is a pretty obvious statistical aberration given the three losses. boise went from kicking the shit out of everyone but the best conference teams to winning by a few scores against bad teams and eking out wins or losing against the rest.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wyo was unexpected.  Replace OSU with AFA and you have it right.  

I don't think anyone,  including Wyoming fans, anticipated that team being as good as it was this last year.