Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Bennett waived by the Nets

4 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Didn't know he was Canadian but they're generally overrated as you say. I think it really comes down to competition growing up. Gimme a kid from a major U.S. city who grew up playing We Got Next ball in city parks any day. How much of that is there in the Great White North?

pretty old stereotype there

there's plenty of competition in canada. there's plenty of great players outside of the u.s.

55 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Kevin Zabo?

I think that's right. We also had  Roy Kruyswik back in the day.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Good for Bennett to cash in when he could. I think that was his only motivation was to get money, I never got the feeling he loved basketball. Hardly the only one as there are a ton of athletes in professional sports that are just in it for the paycheck. 

Called him a future bust only to be attached on this board. He was fat and slow and completely non existent in his games vs CSU 

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

2 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

Called him a future bust only to be attached on this board. He was fat and slow and completely non existent in his games vs CSU 

Averaged 12 and 6 while shooting 61% FG  68% from 3 against CSU

Scored 19pts in the MWCT that eliminated CSU.

Plus he put up much bigger numbers against teams that were much better than CSU

25 and 13 @ CAL  then 15 and 11 in the NCAAT

15 and 13 @UNC

17 and 12 vs UNM  then 15 and 11 in the MWCT

21 and 12 vs SDSU

Nobody saw "bust" in Anthony Bennett. Maybe overrated for #1 overall, but that was the norm. 2013 draft was full of questionable guys.

Best player so far of that draft is probably the Greek Freak or CJ McCollum. and they were projects where their teams invested time into. Everyone else is pretty much average.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

12 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

Glad you finally found attachment. It's the key to happiness in life.

guys like Bennett really need that 2nd year in college to get their game together.  When you go pro you get to learn and practice, but if your not ready then you don't get to play much whereas in college your playing.  If I was a NBA GM, I wouldn't draft any freshmen unless it were a LB type guy. 

13 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Good for Bennett to cash in when he could. I think that was his only motivation was to get money, I never got the feeling he loved basketball. Hardly the only one as there are a ton of athletes in professional sports that are just in it for the paycheck. 

The more I think about the situation, the more I agree with this. Basketball just didn't seem to get AB going. He was able to parlay it into a lot of money to pursue what he wants though. I hope he ends up happy as he is a good guy.

28 minutes ago, pokerider said:

guys like Bennett really need that 2nd year in college to get their game together.  When you go pro you get to learn and practice, but if your not ready then you don't get to play much whereas in college your playing.  If I was a NBA GM, I wouldn't draft any freshmen unless it were a LB type guy. 

then you'd never land any top picks as an nba gm lol

Keep in mind that AB wasn't playing basketball for that long either before college. He is a really good dude. I follow him on twitter and it seems like he does a lot for different youth groups up in Toronto. Good for him to get the payout. Unfortunate that he has to be dragged through the mud with the expectations of being #1 pick. 

Guest RoscoesDad
3 hours ago, BleedRed702 said:

Keep in mind that AB wasn't playing basketball for that long either before college. He is a really good dude. I follow him on twitter and it seems like he does a lot for different youth groups up in Toronto. Good for him to get the payout. Unfortunate that he has to be dragged through the mud with the expectations of being #1 pick. 

He's a good kid for sure. But when your career is essentially a huge swindle, people don't like that. He rarely played hard for unlv and rarely seem engaged enough to play hard or improve his game in practice.  I literally cannot dream up a scenario where I would ever draft a kid like this #1. 

12 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

He's a good kid for sure. But when your career is essentially a huge swindle, people don't like that. He rarely played hard for unlv and rarely seem engaged enough to play hard or improve his game in practice.  I literally cannot dream up a scenario where I would ever draft a kid like this #1. 

No doubt. 

On 1/9/2017 at 6:52 PM, SDSUfan said:

I think that's right. We also had  Roy Kruyswik back in the day.

I forgot about Zabo so that makes it Narain, Gill-Caesar, Johnson and Zabo.  The jury is still out on the first two currently on the roster.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:51 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Didn't know he was Canadian but they're generally overrated as you say. I think it really comes down to competition growing up. Gimme a kid from a major U.S. city who grew up playing We Got Next ball in city parks any day. How much of that is there in the Great White North?

NBLCanada.PNG  Bennett's future? Just kidding, I doubt any team in that league has enough money to lure him.

Bennett heading to Turkey.

Here's a post-mortem on his NBA career...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/anthony-bennett-nba-draft-class-busts-scouting-report-cavs-nets/11ddeundr4ufq18du5eeg2rq91

“I don’t think they got the full scoop on (Bennett),” a scout told Sporting News. “UNLV’s staff would say nice things about people. They tolerate a lot. The Cavs got a rosy version of his work ethic and attitude.”

On 1/17/2017 at 4:01 PM, SharkTanked said:

Bennett heading to Turkey.

Here's a post-mortem on his NBA career...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/anthony-bennett-nba-draft-class-busts-scouting-report-cavs-nets/11ddeundr4ufq18du5eeg2rq91

“I don’t think they got the full scoop on (Bennett),” a scout told Sporting News. “UNLV’s staff would say nice things about people. They tolerate a lot. The Cavs got a rosy version of his work ethic and attitude.”

That article is a pretty solid description.  The one thing I think they gloss over was Mike Brown’s input.  He had quite a bit to do with Cleveland taking Bennett.  

Brown visited UNLV’s practices on multiple occasions during 12-13 and was practically salivating on Bennett’s potential.  He had just been hired as the Cavs head coach heading into that draft and from what I was told while ultimately Grant’s decision, Brown had quite a bit of say. 

3 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

That article is a pretty solid description.  The one thing I think they gloss over was Mike Brown’s input.  He had quite a bit to do with Cleveland taking Bennett.  

Brown visited UNLV’s practices on multiple occasions during 12-13 and was practically salivating on Bennett’s potential.  He had just been hired as the Cavs head coach heading into that draft and from what I was told while ultimately Grant’s decision, Brown had quite a bit of say. 

interesting that a new coach would have a huge say in who the team drafts #1 overall considering the team will have been planning for a lottery pick basically all season and thus had done their own scouting well before he was hired in april. maybe his return to cleveleand put him in a different position than other first year coaches already having an established relationship with the team

sad part is, mike brown and cleveland kind of ruined AB. telling him to stop shooting 3s killed his confidence. kid was already battling confidence issues and then you tell him not to do something that sets up a huge part of his game. tweener guy who can't really post up against bigger players and can't really iso from the perimeter on smaller guys... now he's told not to even shoot over the defense. just a killer. makes me think whoever scouted AB didn't at all understand his game and just saw some practice sessions and liked the upside.