Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Bennett waived by the Nets

The Brooklyn Nets waived former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett on Monday.

The 23-year-old power forward appeared in 23 games with the Nets this season, averaging 5.0 points and 3.4 rebounds in 11.5 minutes per contest.

The 6-foot-8, 235-pound Bennett was taken with the first pick in the 2013 NBA Draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers as a 20-year-old out of UNLV.

After one season in Cleveland, Bennett was traded with 2014 No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins to the Minnesota Timberwolves in the three-team deal that brought Kevin Love to the Cavs.

Bennett was waived by the Timberwolves in September 2015 before signing with the Toronto Raptors. He played in 19 games with the Raptors and was waived last March.

Bennett signed with the Nets as a free agent on July 14. For his career, he owns averages of 4.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 151 games.

Has to be one of the biggest flops as #1 pick except for those who were injured and never really saw the court healthy (Sam Bowie, Greg Oden come to mind) 

Being drafted #1 overall and being thrown around the league has really hurt him from what I've read.

He was still one of the most dominant freshmen I've ever seen play personally. He was a man among boys even as a true freshman.

He's a good dude so hopefully he follows what he wants whether it's basketball in the NBA or overseas...or just hanging it up.

Made a quick $16.5 mill so far though. He's set for life.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Another Canadian who didn't make the cut.  We've had/have 3 Canadians on our team and their play is under performing considering the stars they're given.  They're probably men among boys up there, but not here.        

18 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Being drafted #1 overall and being thrown around the league has really hurt him from what I've read.

He was still one of the most dominant freshmen I've ever seen play personally. He was a man among boys even as a true freshman.

He's a good dude so hopefully he follows what he wants whether it's basketball in the NBA or overseas...or just hanging it up.

Bennett would have had some great numbers had he stuck around UNLV for 3 years (at least)...........but the lure of instant and big $$ is tough to turn away from

Same goes for Zimmerman ...........and wonder how much the Bennett bust played into NBA's thinking on Zimmerman.......wasn't even a 1st rounder and is NBADL or 12th-15th man on the roster

12 minutes ago, aztech said:

Another Canadian who didn't make the cut.  We've had/have 3 Canadians on our team and their play is under performing considering the stars they're given.  They're probably men among boys up there, but not here.        

UNLV's have worked out fines.

Bennett 18 and 8 as a true freshman with great efficiency.

Khem Birch has the 2nd most blocks in a single season in MWC history. Dominated the league his 2nd year and avg'd 12 pts 10 boards and nearly 4 blocks.

They were men among boys in this league.

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Bennett would have had some great numbers had he stuck around UNLV for 3 years (at least)...........but the lure of instant and big $$ is tough to turn away from

Same goes for Zimmerman ...........and wonder how much the Bennett bust played into NBA's thinking on Zimmerman.......wasn't even a 1st rounder and is NBADL or 12th-15th man on the roster

He made the right move. $16 mill. He got #1 overall.

Smartest move of his life.

If he was here for 4 years he'd have his jersey up in the rafter. He was that dominant.

Guest RoscoesDad

The Cavs made the same mistake UNLV/Rice did.  They buy into this bullshit AAU hype and somehow get suckered into believing these kids are better than they are.  Then he went to the absolute worst coach for him in that situation, he was never going to learn anything at UNLV or get better under Rice.  He was just supposed to come here, roll the ball out and dominate for a year and cash in.  Which sorta happened.

I actually see AB as a perfect example of the sad sad world of the AAU overhyped kids whose 'handlers' grease them through the system with the least resistance possible.  None of which actually includes hard work, out working another guy for a job, or putting in any type of hard work to improve their game.  Reality is he didn't have to put in any work to get better at UNLV, and then went to the big leagues and realized he had to compete against grown ass men with better work ethics.  It was all plain to see for anyone that cared to look.  The kid had good #s at UNLV but was lazy, didn't hustle and rarely gave 100%

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

UNLV's have worked out fines.

Bennett 18 and 8 as a true freshman with great efficiency.

Khem Birch has the 2nd most blocks in a single season in MWC history. Dominated the league his 2nd year and avg'd 12 pts 10 boards and nearly 4 blocks.

They were men among boys in this league.

He made the right move. $16 mill. He got #1 overall.

Smartest move of his life.

If he was here for 4 years he'd have his jersey up in the rafter. He was that dominant.

And the MWC got worse overall in the 4 years he would have been at UNLV, which would have probably helped his numbers............Same with Zimm, and others........but you can't expect these players to turn down the $$, though the last 3 certainly weren't and aren't assured of anything like the contract Bennett got

3 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

The Cavs made the same mistake UNLV/Rice did.  They buy into this bullshit AAU hype and somehow get suckered into believing these kids are better than they are.  Then he went to the absolute worst coach for him in that situation, he was never going to learn anything at UNLV or get better under Rice.  He was just supposed to come here, roll the ball out and dominate for a year and cash in.  Which sorta happened.

I actually see AB as a perfect example of the sad sad world of the AAU overhyped kids whose 'handlers' grease them through the system with the least resistance possible.  None of which actually includes hard work, out working another guy for a job, or putting in any type of hard work to improve their game.  Reality is he didn't have to put in any work to get better at UNLV, and then went to the big leagues and realized he had to actually out work grown ass men with better work ethics.

Bennett had the tools - but you are correct, Rice & staff didn't make players better over time - and Bennett might have never gotten much more out of UNLV than he did in his one season. The MWC was on a downward trend so that probably would have inflated his numbers had he stayed.

Either way, Bennett had one pretty damn good season and cashed in - That's not his fault - Put that one on the scouts...........the Clippers spent the better part of a decade burning #1 draft picks on players that didn't work out, so it's not unusual.

Million dollar talent/physical frame, 10 cent work ethic.  

Told by a couple of folks close to the program at that time he had virtually no get up and go to him.  You can definitely get by with that at the prep level, and to some extent at the college level. When you get to the pro ranks however you are going to go up against a whole lot of folks who have similar athleticism, god given talent.  Have to put in the time to improve, work on your craft, he never did hence his situation.  

A wise coach once told me the overwhelming number of folks who make it in the league do so as a result of recognizing what they are good at, and what they are not.  Focus on what you are good at so you can find a spot on a team and stick in the league.  

I think if he actually wanted to engage in physicality, took care of his physique, he could have at least found a spot in the league as a rebounder.  

15 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Told by a couple of folks close to the program at that time he had virtually no get up and go to him.  You can definitely get by with that at the prep level, and to some extent at the college level. When you get to the pro ranks however you are going to go up against a whole lot of folks who have similar athleticism, god given talent.  Have to put in the time to improve, work on your craft, he never did hence his situation.  

A wise coach once told me the overwhelming number of folks who make it in the league do so as a result of recognizing what they are good at, and what they are not.  Focus on what you are good at so you can find a spot on a team and stick in the league.  

I think if he actually wanted to engage in physicality, took care of his physique, he could have at least found a spot in the league as a rebounder.  

This on top of his situation never helped.

When you're bouncing around the league...on bad teams with below average league coaches... with no development plan in sight...injuries...it's kinda hard to get settled in.

I thought he was in the best shape of his career last summer. Dude looked chiseled and healthy. Raptors kinda just held onto him and Brooklyn just picked him up for the hell of it.

He's only 23 years old. It will be interesting what happens from here. I feel like he could be an NBA player, but it'd have to be the right situation and the right staff who would want to invest in him.

25 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Lots of talent. Not a great motor.  Would have benefitted from a tougher coach like a Calipari.

26 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

This on top of his situation never helped.

When you're bouncing around the league...on bad teams with below average league coaches... with no development plan in sight...injuries...it's kinda hard to get settled in.

I thought he was in the best shape of his career last summer. Dude looked chiseled and healthy. Raptors kinda just held onto him and Brooklyn just picked him up for the hell of it.

He's only 23 years old. It will be interesting what happens from here. I feel like he could be an NBA player, but it'd have to be the right situation and the right staff who would want to invest in him.

As both a Nets fan and a Rebels fan, I have a quite interesting perspective, I think.

He didn't have it. He would have some decent games, but generally, unless it was garbage time, he was slow, unaggressive, and lacked the skill to play. 

As a UNLV fan, I was thrilled when he went number 1. Now, as a UNLV fan, I feel bad that he went number one and now has to live with this infamy. It sucks for his sake. 

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

i remember thinking in the first half of the season how lucky we were to be able to watch that every game. then when he hurt his shoulder halfway through he was never the same. after he left unlv and they did an MRI i was kind of ticked at dave and his staff for not doing an MRI while he was here. maybe it would have made a bit of a difference if he'd had time to heal before the beginning of the season and he'd been able to work out. he got off to a bad start and never recovered from that, his confidence was absolutely shot.

but on the other hand, if the motor is not there, it is not there. if he'd had the ethic maybe he could have overcome all that, especially early on. i hope he can figure something out.

2 hours ago, aztech said:

Narain and Gil-Ceaser. Who's the 3rd?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, aztech said:

Didn't know he was Canadian but they're generally overrated as you say. I think it really comes down to competition growing up. Gimme a kid from a major U.S. city who grew up playing We Got Next ball in city parks any day. How much of that is there in the Great White North?

Boom goes the dynamite.