Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Nevada AP top 25

17 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Really need New Mexico, SDSU, and Wyoming to scrap their way into the RPI top 100.  It would also be great if Nevada and Boise could get into the top 50.  Not sure if all of that is even mathematically possible though.

SDSU will give you no favors.  Resting up for a weekend in Vegas.  Only shot at salvaging any semblance of achievement for the year. 

44 minutes ago, fbpack said:

we clearly still have a good shot at an at large!!

Our problem is that our schedule just keeps getting worse and worse. Iona and Buffalo keep losing (they were both tourney teams last year), Washington and Oregon State are worse than expected. Luckily Oakland is looking really good. At the beginning of the year our schedule didn't look horrible, but none of our opponents have fared well. 

At this point we've only played 2 top 100 teams, and are 1-1 (St Marys and Oakland). Plus as of now us and Boise are the only MW teams in the top 100. Typically teams with resumes like ours get left out. I honestly doubt that we can lose even 2 more conference games and get in (unless a lot more of our schedule jumps into the top 100). 

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Our problem is that our schedule just keeps getting worse and worse. Iona and Buffalo keep losing (they were both tourney teams last year), Washington and Oregon State are worse than expected. Luckily Oakland is looking really good. At the beginning of the year our schedule didn't look horrible, but none of our opponents have fared well. 

At this point we've only played 2 top 100 teams, and are 1-1 (St Marys and Oakland). Plus as of now us and Boise are the only MW teams in the top 100. Typically teams with resumes like ours get left out. I honestly doubt that we can lose even 2 more conference games and get in (unless a lot more of our schedule jumps into the top 100). 

Boise up to 57 in rpi. Hopefully they can get into the top 50

1 hour ago, bigd said:

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

18 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

We could maybe lose one more conf game and then lose in the tourney final being something like 31-5. We might have a prayer if other things come together, but I'd say the chances are less than 3%.

I agree, sadly at this point I think this is what it will take. SDSU did it last year, so it is possible. That would put our RPI right around 21, and I think it would be impossible to leave us out even with few good wins. 

1 hour ago, bigd said:

You can't lose more than 1 game. Like you said the schedules don't match out. MWC gets no respect. SDSU and Boise would be your only top 100 wins

SDSU is still #81 Kenpom.

BSU at #73

Reno #76

Reno ranking likely won't get much lower. Maybe in low 60's..even winning out?

It's basically a lock there will be no at larges.

Last year SDSU finished #47 kenpom. Went 16-2 in MWC. Beat #28 CAL on neutral court. Lost in MWCT championship game.

They only had 1 bad loss and had the #9 OOC SOS ranking. (Reno OOC SOS is #180 right now.)

Winning out could possibly do it just because it'd be hard to keep out a 3 or 4 loss team in the NCAA's, but the resume will kill you.

Plus to be honest, If UNM miracle doesn't happen, Reno is sitting at 2-2 in the 1st 4 games of MWC play.

So there is a chance to get an at large, but that is like saying UNLV and SJSU have a chance to still make NCAA's.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

No one in the conference, UNR included, has a shot at an at-large bid.  It is a one bid league.  All that matters is 3-4 days in March.  Now till then is simply getting ready and positioning for that run. 

3 hours ago, fbpack said:

we clearly still have a good shot at an at large!!

Clearly the incompetence of New Mexico got Nevada 2 votes...........had the Lobo's not choked, Nevada wouldn't be sniffing votes 

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

He's a fantastic assistant coach. 

He really is, and I think his personality compliments Musselman really well. I hope we're able to keep our staff around for awhile.