Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broncos4life

Rank em after week 1

2 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

Interesting...I wouldn't have guessed that.

Not sure what I would have guessed.

My guess is most, off the top of their head, would think 4th or 5th without looking it up. But yeah, SDSU is the only one with a better conference record than Boise over the last 4 years

14 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Yup.. I would have figured Boise would be #4 or so in conference wins. Very surprised to see #2.

Leon Rice has done a solid job.

This is one of his best coaching jobs so far. The conference championship after Drmic went down was pretty good, as well 

8 hours ago, kingpotato said:

This is one of his best coaching jobs so far. The conference championship after Drmic went down was pretty good, as well 

While no track record I think the biggest question was going to be recruiting.  He basically took very good leftovers from Gonzaga including Iggy, Marks and Drmic.  His recruiting has been solid.  Plus he has shown he can learn and improve in many areas he struggled in early.  My concern now is if Hutchinson stays he could put two very solid year together and will be a target by a bigger school.  

23 hours ago, PTR said:

The league is so down and all of the teams so inconsistent, this gets harder each week.

1. Nevada (still think they are the best team)

2. BSU (better than I thought they'd be)

3. UNM (Sheep in Wolfe's clothing. I still think Noodles will find his level)

4. SDSU (not even close to the same team and affected by injuries. Think they will ultimately be top 2 or 3 in the conference, but not even close to being an NCAA tourney team). 

5. Wyoming (thought they were better than they actually are).

6.. Fresno (athletic but inconsistent and Terry is mediocre at best as a coach)

7.. CSU (Larry vaping and cashing checks)

8. UNLV (I think they'll trend up. Marvin is a good program stabilizing coach and they are playing hard).

9, SJSU (the best Joser team I've seen in the MWC, but that's not saying much.)

10. AF (At least they have solid career options other than playing basketball).

11. USU (is that not a shitty team, yes it is a shitty team)

This looks good to me.  I think I would jump Fresno and CSU above Wyoming, they are playing good.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

3 things happened that you could not really predict before the season started. The new coaches Rice brought in have the team playing defense for the first time Since Leon got here.  Hutchison, while we expected improvement nobody saw him being this good, legit POTY candidate.  The most unexpected is how good Jessup is for a true freshmen.  

These rankings are going to change wildly from week to week. I think the top 2 likely remain the top two in some order the rest of the season, but everyone else will be moving all over the ranks. I think SDSU and WYO will eventually move up while UNM and Fresno fall. UNLV and CSU will remain around the middle.

1. BSU

2. UNR

3. UNM

4. Fresno

5. CSU

6. UNLV

7. SDSU

8. WYO

9. SJSU

10. AFA

11. USU

47 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

3 things happened that you could not really predict before the season started. The new coaches Rice brought in have the team playing defense for the first time Since Leon got here.  Hutchison, while we expected improvement nobody saw him being this good, legit POTY candidate.  The most unexpected is how good Jessup is for a true freshmen.  

A lot of people are giving the new coaches credit for the defense, and they should get some, but I think they just have better players. Boise State was very good defensively their championship season with the old coaches, with Marks, Hutch, and Heyer on the team. 

Hutch, Jessup, and Austin are very good defenders. The 3-headed monster and center does a serviceable job, and despite his limitations physically, Donut does a decent job defending

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

A lot of people are giving the new coaches credit for the defense, and they should get some, but I think they just have better players. Boise State was very good defensively their championship season with the old coaches, with Marks, Hutch, and Heyer on the team. 

Hutch, Jessup, and Austin are very good defenders. The 3-headed monster and center does a serviceable job, and despite his limitations physically, Donut does a decent job defending

Beckner is a stud talent developer.  And Lillard showing up a couple times just added to his credibility with the players (heard it more than once from insider types).  They eat up his every word.  Rice is the CEO and a really good head coach but will only go as far as his staff helps him get.  Losing Woj a few seasons back made a noticeable difference to my eyes and now I see that same team work ethic and focus.  

Plus don't ignore team chemistry which is players and coaches together.   Our HS defensive coach we had for 3 seasons was dead weight;  the boys didn't listen to him or care what he said and that attitude didn't shorten their PT.   Getting rid of Webb and Drmic, which on paper is a death sentence for a team, is actually a plus.  Drmic pouted all season because of his injury;  he wasn't a leader or the major contributor he once was.  Webb was primping for the NBA.  So our 2 leaders weren't leading in word or example last season.  

Right now they're better because Hutch and Austin both get to start and they both know they own those spots.  No looking over your shoulder;  no trying to  impress.   And because Jessup and the 3 bigs have come out of nowhere basically.  Duncan is team glue and opposing fan favorite.

30 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Beckner is a stud talent developer.  And Lillard showing up a couple times just added to his credibility with the players (heard it more than once from insider types).  They eat up his every word.  Rice is the CEO and a really good head coach but will only go as far as his staff helps him get.  Losing Woj a few seasons back made a noticeable difference to my eyes and now I see that same team work ethic and focus.  

Plus don't ignore team chemistry which is players and coaches together.   Our HS defensive coach we had for 3 seasons was dead weight;  the boys didn't listen to him or care what he said and that attitude didn't shorten their PT.   Getting rid of Webb and Drmic, which on paper is a death sentence for a team, is actually a plus.  Drmic pouted all season because of his injury;  he wasn't a leader or the major contributor he once was.  Webb was primping for the NBA.  So our 2 leaders weren't leading in word or example last season.  

Right now they're better because Hutch and Austin both get to start and they both know they own those spots.  No looking over your shoulder;  no trying to  impress.   And because Jessup and the 3 bigs have come out of nowhere basically.  Duncan is team glue and opposing fan favorite.

I've heard from a couple people about "man, how good would they be if JWIII hadn't left?" 

Reality is that we would probably not be as good. We're much better running the offense through Hutch and that wouldn't have happened if Webb had stayed. He would be an awesome compliment if he played like he did his SO year, but once he got the hype every game turned into an NBA showcase event and his efficiency went way down

24 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I've heard from a couple people about "man, how good would they be if JWIII hadn't left?" 

Reality is that we would probably not be as good. We're much better running the offense through Hutch and that wouldn't have happened if Webb had stayed. He would be an awesome compliment if he played like he did his SO year, but once he got the hype every game turned into an NBA showcase event and his efficiency went way down

Maybe even worse, Rice would start Duncan and Webb, leaving the 3 bigs on the bench for another year.  Look what PT is doing for those 3.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:21 AM, Broncos4life said:

This should be interesting.  

Nevada

BSU  (very hard to not put them 1)

New Mexico

SDSU

Wyoming

Fresno

Colorado State

UNLV

Utah State

SJSU

Air Force

You beat us by one point at home and you think you're 1-2 and we're 7th? K

5 minutes ago, 15csu2014 said:

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there have been a lot more than one game played this year. I'm guessing those were also taken into consideration 

8 hours ago, 15csu2014 said:

Yes.  Two close wins puts us tied for first record wise.  I was high on CSU early but after they finished none conference the way they did there seems to be more questions.  They are a team I could move up quickly if they put some wins together. Honestly everyone is really close.  Hence the "this could be interesting."

edit -  BAsed on the news would you understand if I dropped them lower lower?

On January 2, 2017 at 8:42 PM, kingpotato said:

The unfortunate part is that Boise has been pretty good at basketball recently. Boise had the 2nd best conference record in league play over the last 4 years. Many fans act as though we are cellar dwellers 

Huh?  SDSU vs MWC opponents last 4 years(2012-2013to 2015-2016) 62-19, UNM 50-27, Boise 45-31.

21 minutes ago, stchas said:

Huh?  SDSU vs MWC opponents last 4 years(2012-2013to 2015-2016) 62-19, UNM 50-27, Boise 45-31.

I had taken someones' word for it. Yours isn't correct either (I'm guessing you included the MW tournament or something). NM is 45-25, Boise is 43-27

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I had taken someones' word for it. Yours isn't correct either (I'm guessing you included the MW tournament or something). NM is 45-25, Boise is 43-27

It is 100% correct.  Yes, it does include the tourney.  The tourney is the most important part of the basketball season for a one bid league.  Wouldn't you agree?  

Since 2012-'13 to the end of last season.  UNM 15-3, 18-3, 7-12, 10-9.  Since 2012-'13 to the end of last season for Boise. 9-8, 10-10, 15-5, 11-8.  Get someone to total those for you.