Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

PETA is insane.

58 minutes ago, mugtang said:

May not be PETA but the stupidity is the same 

I just want to wreck those people.  Honestly, her name is Snow and all she wants is to live?  When did cows die to give milk?  Still wondering about that one.  I ate some eggs this morning, and I didn't think about Snow while I ate her body this morning.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

We had some other group in our area sneak into a local mink farm and release about 2,000 minks.  A couple hundred were hit on the freeway, and a few were gobbled up by hawks.  I can't remember the name of the group but they have been in quite a bit of trouble.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I just want to wreck those people.  Honestly, her name is Snow and all she wants is to live?  When did cows die to give milk?  Still wondering about that one.  I ate some eggs this morning, and I didn't think about Snow while I ate her body this morning.

"She has a very determined look in her eyes wherever she goes."

Like the mall? The dry cleaners? The Tyson plant? To cross the road?

2 hours ago, Jwherb said:

Not that I don't believe PETA would do something ridiculous, but....

I can't find a single thing about this anywhere.  Where are you "hearing" this?

There was also a PETA protest when a dept store had a display of ducklings in a storefront display that would start dancing every 15 minutes. It turns out they were on an electric griddle!

2 hours ago, jackmormon said:

There was also a PETA protest when a dept store had a display of ducklings in a storefront display that would start dancing every 15 minutes. It turns out they were on an electric griddle!

God , if only I could put a number of posters on this board on an electric griddle. 

#Youtubegold

I never understood why it is immoral to kill a single elk for hundreds (... well, hundred) of pounds of useable meat but moral to kill hundreds of burrowing mammals, reptiles, and amphibians and thousands of insects to get hundreds of pounds of protein from wheat or beans.

For that matter, I have never understood why it is immoral to eat cows that graze a rangeland that is left in a somewhat undisturbed state while it is moral to totally destroy thousands of acres of ecosystem and cut down all the trees to replace them with a single crop

Finally, I've never understood why killing one shrimp is immoral while cutting down a banana tree with an arguably more developed nervous system analogue is moral.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 hours ago, happycamper said:

I never understood why it is immoral to kill a single elk for hundreds (... well, hundred) of pounds of useable meat but moral to kill hundreds of burrowing mammals, reptiles, and amphibians and thousands of insects to get hundreds of pounds of protein from wheat or beans.

For that matter, I have never understood why it is immoral to eat cows that graze a rangeland that is left in a somewhat undisturbed state while it is moral to totally destroy thousands of acres of ecosystem and cut down all the trees to replace them with a single crop

Finally, I've never understood why killing one shrimp is immoral while cutting down a banana tree with an arguably more developed nervous system analogue is moral.

There are some good points here, especially directed toward the PETA crowd who may not be as thoughtful or critical as many vegans might be. 

Full disclosure up front:  I'm a meat and potatoes guy.  We've hunted and taken our own deer, elk, antelope, and game birds all of my life, and we often raise and butcher our own turkeys, beef, and pork.  That will never change; it's just who I am.  Moreover, I don't necessarily have any ideological problems with eating meat, though I do think some of the ways we raise, produce, and process meat could be better.

I've studied quite a bit on the ethics of veganism, how humans use animals, etc.  Mostly Peter Singer, but a few others as well.  I think in theory I understand the argument behind veganism and probably even support it... I just can't do it.  I kind of wish I could, but it's just sort of a nonstarter for me, mostly because I like eating meat and I don't really like most vegan plates.

But I think vegans are generally pretty thoughtful about their choices, and do a ton of research in continually modifying their lifestyles to be more consistent and rigid.  I think it can tend toward radicalism and the sort of ridiculous behaviors you find with PETA.  But most vegans I know or know of would agree with your criticisms. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

6 hours ago, Jwherb said:

There are some good points here, especially directed toward the PETA crowd who may not be as thoughtful or critical as many vegans might be. 

Full disclosure up front:  I'm a meat and potatoes guy.  We've hunted and taken our own deer, elk, antelope, and game birds all of my life, and we often raise and butcher our own turkeys, beef, and pork.  That will never change; it's just who I am.  Moreover, I don't necessarily have any ideological problems with eating meat, though I do think some of the ways we raise, produce, and process meat could be better.

I've studied quite a bit on the ethics of veganism, how humans use animals, etc.  Mostly Peter Singer, but a few others as well.  I think in theory I understand the argument behind veganism and probably even support it... I just can't do it.  I kind of wish I could, but it's just sort of a nonstarter for me, mostly because I like eating meat and I don't really like most vegan plates.

But I think vegans are generally pretty thoughtful about their choices, and do a ton of research in continually modifying their lifestyles to be more consistent and rigid.  I think it can tend toward radicalism and the sort of ridiculous behaviors you find with PETA.  But most vegans I know or know of would agree with your criticisms. 

I went vegan for a girl right out of high school.  I actually had real, serious cravings for meat.  I was miserable.  Some vegans just find the idea of eating flesh gross, some do it for health reasons, some do it for moral reasons as you stated.  Nothing wrong with veganism.  Anybody who has every had a soy cheese pizza for moral reasons has my respect.  I had it for ass, not as admirable.

9 hours ago, Jwherb said:

Vegans are stupid and there whole philosophy comes from ignorance of the world around them.

If they drive a car they killed animals permanently during the mining process for the minerals, during the extraction process to make the plastics.   Whenever they drive the car they kill animals by the hundreds and thousands.  The bugs and small mammals they smash on their windshields and under their cars they sacrifice to their vegan god.  There house was built on the homes of animals that are no permanently gone because of loss of habitat.

If they cared about animals they would support trapping furs.  It is a renewable resource that reduces the need for hydrocarbons.  

If they cared about animals they would fight the cotton industry.  Nothing is more destructive to the environment then a cotton field.

If they cared about animals they would support hunting and fishing of renewable resources which provide the vast majority of the money that is used to preserve habitat.

Not to mention that if they were a true vegan they would die of starvation and malnutrition.  Only the allowable bug parts in their products that they eat provide them with the proteins the body can't make and aren't found outside of animal products.

I had my own run-in with PETArds in S. India about 15-16 years ago, when I learned they were staging a protest in front of a KFC - one of the 'back home comforts' that kept me tethered.

So I decided that particular day was a great day to go feast on some delicious fried chicken from the Colonel.

There must have been 100 or so people there, incl. local media covering the protest when I arrived. I bought a 3-pc box, and walked right up next to some gigantic Eurogranola chick dressed in a giant chicken suit (yes, I was turned on a little), and proceeded to loudly scarf the shit out of that chicken, loudly and repeatedly proclaiming, "MMMmmmmm! That's some DAMN FINE chicken!" with a mouthful of poultry spittle flying in every direction at each proclamation.

People were cracking the f*ck up, most likely because like me, they saw how f*cktarded it was to protest the "ethical treatment of animals" in a country with more people living in abject poverty than the entire fn continent of Africa.

Caught a little flak for that when it made the local news.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - PETA.  Sound good huh but like just everything, they take things to such extreme as to damage themselves in the process.  

Being against animals being beat, starved or treated inhumanely is something people can understand and support.  
While I certainly don't support this, Their being against using animals for rodeo's, and meat or fur or leather etc. is something I can at least understand. 
But their being against eggs, wool, milk etc.  just shows how extreme they try to take things and all it does is make people dismiss them entirely.