Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wyochris

OT: question about sea world for san diego st.

26 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Bad analogy. First, I want to know what birds are being taking from their parents right after they hatch. Not many birds will survive that way. But cats/dogs/livestock can be separated from their offspring because they don't really form familial bonds. Yeah, a mother will nurse her offspring for a while, but not for very long, and they are expected to leave her anyway once they reach a sufficient age, and after that the mother could care less about her children. Indeed, if one of her grown offspring tries to enter its mothers territory, the mother will fight it off as if it were any other cat. I won't go so far as to say that cats/dogs don't care at all if their offspring are taken away, but I very strongly doubt that it would be as traumatic as it is for a species that does form long-term familial bonds, like orcas (or humans, for that matter). As I understand it, orcas will frequently live with their parents until well after maturity. So you take a young orca away from its mother and you should expect a reaction that's not drastically different from taking a human child away from its mother.

Plus orcas are another extremely social mammal, like humans. Leaving an orca alone in an enclosure for a long period of time is like leaving a person in long-term solitary confinement. And for the record, I have serious misgivings about leaving any intelligent, social animal in long-term captivity. But I think it's more justifiable for something like dolphins or chimps because they are small enough that you can keep a colony of them together. Orcas are typically kept alone or at best in very small groups, which is really traumatic for a social animal. Think about how you would like to spend your life in a cage alone or with maybe one other person from another part of the planet who doesn't speak your language (and who may beat you up from time to time). It's not a very happy life. If there is an animal that definitely should not be kept in captivity, it's orcas.

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, and intentions to non-human entities[1] and is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.  

8 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

You're living up to your screen name. I never saw the movie, so I don't know what sounds you're referring to. But orcas certainly vocalize. Not only that but the focalization of each pod are distinctive. 

Through their blowhole, yes. But they don't scream through their mouths like they're crying, which the movie was clearly adding in for effect.

8 hours ago, nmlongbow said:

There is really no proof either way. Orcas have been studied far more plus you're in SD so you'll have a bias towards the orca.

lol.  Bias towards the orca, right. So if I lived in Idaho I'd be biased towards a bear?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I don't know were the line is of what animals are acceptable to be locked up/put in zoos. But I do believe at orcas (and other whales and most likely dolphins) are beyond that line. So the arguments about "what about <insert other animal her>?" doesn't work for me. My answer is "I'm not sure perhaps they shouldn't be there either." but I truly believe that orcas should not be locked up. I've done some research beyond watching Blackfish so this isn't just some emotional opinion from the documentary.

On 12/6/2016 at 9:57 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Come on Stout, cut the poor man some slack. He's from a state where their government officials still refer to Asians as "Orientals" and psychiatric hospitals as "loony bins." 

:ph34r:

We deport all of our loony's to Colorado, isn't that obvious from the posts on this board?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 12/6/2016 at 9:46 AM, RogueStout said:

Watch the documentary Blackfish and get back to me about "treehuggers" ruining your little fishy show.

"your" fishy show?  It's CA's fishy show.  Don't they need to own and embrace it?

I get free tix so I can't say if it's WORTH the cost, but it's still pretty cool if you've never been or seen a big as aquarium type place like it. 

San Diego Zoo >> SeaWorld 

Guest Dr. Dre
2 hours ago, SJMDog said:

wild animal park.

Speaking of that (and Orcas), @BSUTOP25's wife does a whale of a show just across the border in TJ. It may LOOK like a zebra, but it's really a donkey.

20 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

Blackfish is about 90% flat out lies and misinformation cloaked around very little truth. One of the biggest BS documentaries ever. But it's a movie, so everyone believes it's true.

My gosh our country is whimps. These are animals. Rio 2 was a sick movie. The animals killed humans in a child's movie. The tree huggers were having an orgasm over it.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

12 hours ago, pokebball said:

"your" fishy show?  It's CA's fishy show.  Don't they need to own and embrace it?

No. California does not. When the California Coastal Commission renewed Sea World's permit in 2015 they imposed conditions preventing capture of new orcas and the breeding of orcas at the park. Trainers were already precluded from going into the water. Sea World has announced that they are phasing out the orca shows and just yesterday announced the layoff of 320 employees. Sea World's future as anything other than Busch Garden by the Bay is on borrowed time. 

9 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

No. California does not. When the California Coastal Commission renewed Sea World's permit in 2015 they imposed conditions preventing capture of new orcas and the breeding of orcas at the park. Trainers were already precluded from going into the water. Sea World has announced that they are phasing out the orca shows and just yesterday announced the layoff of 320 employees. Sea World's future as anything other than Busch Garden by the Bay is on borrowed time. 

Isn't this CA owning it?  Understand that I was responding to a snarky response to an inlander about SW being his fishy show.

On a side note, I had never been to SW until the fall of 2015.  Having heard about what you've posted here, we decided to get in and see it before the show was gone.  It was entertaining and educational and I did enjoy it.  I do understand the reasoning behind the decision.

10 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Isn't this CA owning it?  Understand that I was responding to a snarky response to an inlander about SW being his fishy show.

On a side note, I had never been to SW until the fall of 2015.  Having heard about what you've posted here, we decided to get in and see it before the show was gone.  It was entertaining and educational and I did enjoy it.  I do understand the reasoning behind the decision.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant by owning that CA had to embrace it.

I never saw Blackfish. I'm against confining any animals simply for the purpose of entertaining humans. And the more intelligent the animal, the more I'm against it. 

On 12/7/2016 at 2:01 AM, GoCoAztec said:

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, and intentions to non-human entities[1] and is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.  

Nobody knows exactly how animals do or do not feel emotion. But it is very obvious that some animals are highly social (humans, chimps, dogs, orcas, for example), whereas others are mostly or entirely solitary (gibbons or most species of cats, for example). And I don't think it's a major leap to think that if an animal always lives in groups of other animals of the same species in the wild, it's not going to be happy if you force it to live alone in captivity. Given that orcas are essentially always found in pods in the wild, I don't like the idea of keeping them alone in small enclosures in captivity.