UNLV2001

UTAH STATE AT BYU

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I also think it's dumb you guys gave a 2/1 to Wake Forest, but won't do that with Utah or BYU.  You're complaining about budget throughout the latter part of this thread, and then you give a 2/1 to one of the worst program in FBS.

If you're going to do that, you might as well do that with BYU, with whom you had such an arrangement for years; or Utah, who I think would be glad to travel to Logan for a 2/1.

We got an AD that learned how to negotiate with Holmoe. If BYU will give us a 1/1, why change that? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

4 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

If USU fans want P-5 schools to come to Logan then they need to be able to have a much bigger budget, attendance, and stadium then what is in place now 25,500 does not get it done.

I know many USU fans want to play BYU they just do not want to pay what is needed to  compete, given the location and budget we are over scheduled as it is. I will promise everyone that USU will continue to play BYU, It is not lost on me that many"aggie" fans want to watch their church team play. I just do not think it is wise to play so many game with schools with bigger budgets. If USU had a $45 million dollar budget, did not play a money game, and could average 35,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium perhaps it would be a good thing.

You do understand Utah St's Athletic Revenue last year was $27,783,677...  It's not like Utah St is pushing close to $30 million now, it seem like when Utah St joined the MWC they were well under $20 million.

2 hours ago, madmartigan said:

We got an AD that learned how to negotiate with Holmoe. If BYU will give us a 1/1, why change that? 

I don't have a huge opinion either way, but if you're going to give a 2/1 to one of the worst P5 teams in the nation, it might as well be with someone where you can really cash in on the extra game due to the proximity of the game.  And the reason I speak of cashing in is because all I've seen on this thread from a majority of Aggie fans that the schedule needs to be easier for some reason because it's so hard to compete with all these teams with more resources.  I mean, how is competing against teams with more resources different lately from the past 50 years?  Most of this league has more resources than USU and more to work with, for whatever reason whether that's location, donors, history, or being the only show in town.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

BYU getting 2:1s or 3:1s from Utah State on a regular basis until just recently is not really the case.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYU–Utah_State_football_rivalry

BYU and Utah State have played alternating locations from the early 1930s when a couple games took place in Ogden at the half-way point with the following exceptions:

1979-1980 - back to back games played in Logan

1983-1984 - back to back games played in Provo

1986-1988 - back to back to back games played in Provo

1990-1992 - back to back to back games played in Provo

2000-2001 - back to back games played in Provo

2011-2012 - back to back games played in Provo

So with the exception of the 80s when 6 of 10 were in Provo and the 90s when 6 of 9 were in Provo (the program's glory days), the 2:1 games happened about once a decade so really wouldn't be on pace to show up again until 2021-2022.  It would be interesting to look back and determine the dynamics in the schedule that surrounded the 2:1 or 3:1 situations.

12 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

You do understand Utah St's Athletic Revenue last year was $27,783,677...  It's not like Utah St is pushing close to $30 million now, it seem like when Utah St joined the MWC they were well under $20 million.

That is my point we do not have the budget to compete with the Y, the last victory in Provo was the first one there since 1976

3 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

That is my point we do not have the budget to compete with the Y, the last victory in Provo was the first one there since 1976

cosinama was on this board a few years back claiming that USU had superior athletes and talent to BYU and that the tides had turned.  What changed?

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

cosinama was on this board a few years back claiming that USU had superior athletes and talent to BYU and that the tides had turned.  What changed?

You do not know what the truth is ?  Does it make you feel good that a aggie fan said BYU spends millions more on athletics than what USU does ?

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

You'd have to ask @cosinamaabout these assertions. Or you can assume all Aggie fans espouse one fans view. I see you've chosen the latter. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Wait....huh?  I believe I had indicated that USU had closed the gap on BYU in terms of talent.  Which was accurate.  You then took that statement to the extreme and accused me of saying that USU had SEC level talent.  

Very funny coming from the guy who claimed "BYU is in" multiple times.

Guest #1Stunner
19 hours ago, madmartigan said:

You'd have to ask @cosinamaabout these assertions. Or you can assume all Aggie fans espouse one fans view. I see you've chosen the latter. 

2 hours ago, cosinama said:

Wait....huh?  I believe I had indicated that USU had closed the gap on BYU in terms of talent.  Which was accurate.  You then took that statement to the extreme and accused me of saying that USU had SEC level talent.  

Very funny coming from the guy who claimed "BYU is in" multiple times.

I don't recall who said what, but frankly I don't care.

What I do want is LIBERAL transfers from Kalani granted, where BYU's bench players can transfer to USU, without penalty.  If USU wants these guys, then I want them at USU.  I want a strong Aggies Football team.

I'm still upset that Jordan Preator transferred to Portland St. instead of USU.  He was a starter at BYU and was darn good.  Maybe he had bad grades?

14 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Where did I say "all Aggie fans"?  I only mentioned one in particular.  And I'm the one making assumptions?

You're asking other aggie fans to channel @cosinama and his opinion. I'm stating you should ask him. 

Just now, #1Stunner said:

I don't recall who said what, but frankly I don't care.

What I do want is LIBERAL transfers from Kalani granted, where BYU's bench players can transfer to USU, without penalty.  If USU wants these guys, then I want them at USU.  I want a strong Aggies Football team.

I'm still upset that Jordan Preator transferred to Portland St. instead of USU.  He was a starter at BYU and was darn good.  Maybe he had bad grades?

Hahah Preator was not good. 2014 was a highlight reel of him being torched time and time again. 

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Hahah Preator was not good. 2014 was a highlight reel of him being torched time and time again. 

Disagree.  He was very good.  He had a few bad games as a young player, but overall was very good.

He should be an Aggie right now.  Same with Brekkot Chapman who transfered from Utah.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Disagree.  He was very good.  He had a few bad games as a young player, but overall was very good.

He should be an Aggie right now.  Same with Brekkot Chapman who transfered from Utah.

If he was so good why go to Portland State? Why not a bigger program? Grades are a possibility, but I doubt it. If he can qualify academically at BYU, he could make it at most other places. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

If he was so good why go to Portland State? Why not a bigger program? Grades are a possibility, but I doubt it. If he can qualify academically at BYU, he could make it at most other places. 

My guess is that Bronco denied him a transfer to Logan, out of fear that USU would have a highly dangerous, BYU trained backfield.  Leavitt and Preator.

Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Maybe you should channel Preator himself and ask?

There's no need to be a jerk. Let's have a discussion if you really want to. Or you can continue the passive aggressive jabs. Point is, I don't think Preator was that good and there's a reason he's playing in the Big Sky.