Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kingpotato

4**** prospect Roberto Gittens

Recommended Posts

So the early signing period came and the Boise State commit never signed. Now he isn't even showing as a prospect to any school on the scout site. Does anyone here know his situation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Gershon with scout just tweeted that Gittens affirmed his commitment to Boise today. That should round out the class. 

4**** swingman Roberto Gittens, 6'5" 215#
3*** PG/SG Tom Wilson, 6'5" 180# (SMU transfer, will be eligible in December)
NR SF/PF Casdon Jardine, 6'7" 225# (JC transfer, will be a SO)

Boise losing Donut and Reid, all three will get an opportunity to compete for minutes right away. With Dickenson, Hobbs, Cam O, and Haney coming off the bench at those positions, anything the new guys can provide will be gravy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Josh Gershon with scout just tweeted that Gittens affirmed his commitment to Boise today. That should round out the class. 

4**** swingman Roberto Gittens, 6'5" 215#
3*** PG/SG Tom Wilson, 6'5" 180# (SMU transfer, will be eligible in December)
NR SF/PF Casdon Jardine, 6'7" 225# (JC transfer, will be a SO)

Boise losing Donut and Reid, all three will get an opportunity to compete for minutes right away. With Dickenson, Hobbs, Cam O, and Haney coming off the bench at those positions, anything the new guys can provide will be gravy 

Don't know if you read the article, but his tweet is misleading. He's not 100 percent at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Don't know if you read the article, but his tweet is misleading. He's not 100 percent at all.

I didn't. I don't pay for a subscription. I was going off the tweets. It sounds like Gittens is still waiting for something better to come along. Not sure the coaches are gunna wait around for him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I didn't. I don't pay for a subscription. I was going off the tweets. It sounds like Gittens is still waiting for something better to come along. Not sure the coaches are gunna wait around for him 

I won't give it all away but it's basically I'm committed but could be open to others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I won't give it all away but it's basically I'm committed but could be open to others.

Yeah, I saw the "... I'm committed right now." quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a 50-50 at best right now, seemingly hoping for a bigger offer.   He's no game changer given how deep the roster is with 2's, and I'm not sure why he's a 4*.   We've been about the only ones on him with any effort and 4* shooting guards usually have 2 pages of suitors at any one time (all he ever had was Portland, Hofstra and Washington and I'm not sure who of them even offered at any time.  Something besides an inability to commit is going on with this guy.  

And seeing the staff apply pressure to a different wing this week (name escapes me) and offer him it makes me think they aren't more than 50-50 with Gittens either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, roughrider said:

He's a 50-50 at best right now, seemingly hoping for a bigger offer.   He's no game changer given how deep the roster is with 2's, and I'm not sure why he's a 4*.   We've been about the only ones on him with any effort and 4* shooting guards usually have 2 pages of suitors at any one time (all he ever had was Portland, Hofstra and Washington and I'm not sure who of them even offered at any time.  Something besides an inability to commit is going on with this guy.  

And seeing the staff apply pressure to a different wing this week (name escapes me) and offer him it makes me think they aren't more than 50-50 with Gittens either.

Cedric Alley. He looks like more of a 3 or 4 type. He has offers from Houston, Sam Houston St, and FIU. He seems like more of one of those under-the-radar recruits.  

With only one Jr in the team and not having any glaring needs for next year, I hope that the coaches use the scholarship wisely and not just give it away. If they can't get someone that is going to make them better, I'd prefer they just hold onto it and go after someone hard next year. If Ced or Gittens is the guy, great, if not lets just hold the scholly until next year or a possible high rated late qualifier 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Gittens it appears he missed the early signing period and now can't sign until April. 

Just pure speculation and putting puzzle pieces together, it looks like some bigger schools came calling and he was convinced not to sign during the early signing period thinking that a bigger offer was eminent. Those offers never came to fruition and now he's back on board with Boise State... unless something better comes up. 

That seems to be the gist of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Cedric Alley. He looks like more of a 3 or 4 type. He has offers from Houston, Sam Houston St, and FIU. He seems like more of one of those under-the-radar recruits.  

With only one Jr in the team and not having any glaring needs for next year, I hope that the coaches use the scholarship wisely and not just give it away. If they can't get someone that is going to make them better, I'd prefer they just hold onto it and go after someone hard next year. If Ced or Gittens is the guy, great, if not lets just hold the scholly until next year or a possible high rated late qualifier 

I think we need forwards more than 2 guards anyway.   Hobbs and now Wilson from SMU are the 2's for next 3 seasons IMO.

 

We have 6 contributing sophomores on scholarship.  Holy crap in 2 years the recruiting job that's needed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I think we need forwards more than 2 guards anyway.   Hobbs and now Wilson from SMU are the 2's for next 3 seasons IMO.

 

We have 6 contributing sophomores on scholarship.  Holy crap in 2 years the recruiting job that's needed....

Three are bigs. Problem is, only one scholly will open up next year, so most likely they'll need to replace the bigs with that recruiting class after they leave... which is scary.

If they can get a proven transfer big who has to sit out a year with that lone scholly next year, that would be ideal.

 As far as what they need with that last scholly this year, I just want the best player possible. Leon doesn't really play with the traditional basketball positions so whoever can contribute the most works for me. Gittens is a broad shouldered big frame guard while Alley is an undersized forward, so I don't see much difference as far as size goes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Three are bigs. Problem is, only one scholly will open up next year, so most likely they'll need to replace the bigs with that recruiting class after they leave... which is scary.

If they can get a proven transfer big who has to sit out a year with that lone scholly next year, that would be ideal.

 As far as what they need with that last scholly this year, I just want the best player possible. Leon doesn't really play with the traditional basketball positions so whoever can contribute the most works for me. Gittens is a broad shouldered big frame guard while Alley is an undersized forward, so I don't see much difference as far as size goes 

We probably get a lot smaller which I'm not good with.   And Leon goes for shooters/scorers first and foremost and had admitted this so either is good enough.   Maybe Alley has some room to grow thicker/taller.     I'm just tired of 4 guards and a PF getting run out by a traditional 5 lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roughrider said:

We probably get a lot smaller which I'm not good with.   And Leon goes for shooters/scorers first and foremost and had admitted this so either is good enough.   Maybe Alley has some room to grow thicker/taller.     I'm just tired of 4 guards and a PF getting run out by a traditional 5 lineup.

I sure would like to find a Matt Nelson type. Maybe a little undersized, but can guard bigger guys, rebound, and score with his back to the basket 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I sure would like to find a Matt Nelson type. Maybe a little undersized, but can guard bigger guys, rebound, and score with his back to the basket 

Agree. It would be a pleasant upgrade from the current Brick Duncan.  We get better by graduation because it takes Duncan out of Rice's playbook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Agree. It would be a pleasant upgrade from the current Brick Duncan.  We get better by graduation because it takes Duncan out of Rice's playbook. 

I posted this in another thread, but he has really struggled this year. His pts, fg%, 3p%, rbs, stls, assts, blks, are all down from last year while his TO's are still the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I posted this in another thread, but he has really struggled this year. His pts, fg%, 3p%, rbs, stls, assts, blks, are all down from last year while his TO's are still the same

And,  most of Nevada's second chance points were over the top of Brick.  He's smarter than heck and always in the right spot but athletes just work over the top of him.  If he's not going for 12-15 per game, he's a liability against good teams.   He played Post better because most centers weren't as athletic as better PF's.  As a 4 he's getting worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×